Please help engine trouble

Back to Surfrjag's original idea actually. I would suspect the flywheel key..... even the most seasoned veterans can have them slide out the bottom when the flywheel slides down on the taper and not notice it. It's impossible to see, you're basically just hoping that you hit it just right....

You should probably pull the flywheel and make sure that the timing is correct....

Ken did my bottom end. My top was done by a different place. I assembled the top end oem gaskets 20ft lb tourqe .compression was good. I dont have a leak tester. But when I give it gas back pressure comes out the tail pipe and it dies. I dont think I have a leak anywhere

Just to clarify.:)

Just to clarify.:)

Was that directed at my comment to imply there is no way possible any one particular person couldn't have made a simple (and quite easy to make) mistake? Are you implying that you know of someone who has never made a mistake before in his or her entire life?

I think Ken's good, real good, but not perfect. If the engine wasn't having issues, I'd say attribute that directly to his choice in shops. Now that the engine has a problem, we evaluate the problem based on the symptoms. What led me to same conclusion as Surfrjag is the line "back pressure comes out the tailpipe". I've never seen a bearing do that.....

Ken did my bottom end. My top was done by a different place. I assembled the top end oem gaskets 20ft lb tourqe .compression was good. I dont have a leak tester. But when I give it gas back pressure comes out the tail pipe and it dies. I dont think I have a leak anywhere

Bottom end rebuild should cover crank bearing, and I am pretty sure that a wrist pin bearing would not cause it to die!:)

No just the bottom end went to ken. I put the top end on and I don't have a leak down tester. Would a leak cause knocking?

Was that directed at my comment to imply there is no way possible any one particular person couldn't have made a simple (and quite easy to make) mistake? Are you implying that you know of someone who has never made a mistake before in his or her entire life?

I think Ken's good, real good, but not perfect. If the engine wasn't having issues, I'd say attribute that directly to his choice in shops. Now that the engine has a problem, we evaluate the problem based on the symptoms. What led me to same conclusion as Surfrjag is the line "back pressure comes out the tailpipe". I've never seen a bearing do that.....

no that was directed towards me...... not u.

Gotcha, it's late where Blaaster's at and early where I'm at! LOL!

I would suspect carburetor condition (float level, clogged jet) or flywheel key as the prime suspects of the trouble

Sorry if I have offended I was merley stating that if a builder, any bulider, refurbished a bottom end is should not be the cause of a knock.

But no ones perfect.:)

Sorry if I have offended I was merley stating that if a builder, any bulider, refurbished a bottom end is should not be the cause of a knock.

But no ones perfect.:)

np... i wasent talking at all aout the bottom end tho. i was talking about the wrist pin bearing..... i mean it was just a thought to look at since he was gonna take it appart again anyways....

np... i wasent talking at all aout the bottom end tho. i was talking about the wrist pin bearing..... i mean it was just a thought to look at since he was gonna take it appart again anyways....

Yup sure, the wrist pin bearing may cause it to knock, and thats a good call, but the main problem is that it knocks on giving it throttle, then dies.

Points to either a flywheel key, or poor fuel mixture, or problems as discussed before.

JMHO, but when you're that deep into a build why would you not replace the last used part. They're only $16.

Do you have fresh fuel?? Todays fuel go bad real quick in vented tanks. Loss of high end volitles

All of the seals in this engine were changed. The connecting rod, crank pin, top end bearing, crank bearing and mains were changed as well. I test the flywheel when I install it by holding the rod and twisting the flywheel. This test insures that it's on the key. This sounds like a carb / reed issue to me. The engine was shipped back as a short block. I never saw the reeds, carb, cylinder, piston, gaskets or head. I'm pretty sure I spoke with Frank last night and he was having some issues with the float needle. I would pull the pipe and make sure the bottom end isn't full of fuel. While you have the pipe off, make sure a family of mice didn't take up residence in it while you were waiting to get your engine back.

All of the seals in this engine were changed. The connecting rod, crank pin, top end bearing, crank bearing and mains were changed as well. I test the flywheel when I install it by holding the rod and twisting the flywheel. This test insures that it's on the key. This sounds like a carb / reed issue to me. The engine was shipped back as a short block. I never saw the reeds, carb, cylinder, piston, gaskets or head. I'm pretty sure I spoke with Frank last night and he was having some issues with the float needle. I would pull the pipe and make sure the bottom end isn't full of fuel. While you have the pipe off, make sure a family of mice didn't take up residence in it while you were waiting to get your engine back.

I do the same thing, but was throwing it out there as a possibility. The "backfire" thing makes me think ignition trouble and the most likely cause is a stripped flywheel key...

If the OP is definitely having carburetor trouble, then perhaps that should be straightened out before trying to diagnose or look elsewhere..... seems to reason that if the carburetor's acting up, the engine doesn't have much more a chance!

well that eliminates all the above problems lol