PlastiDip

The only issue I see with the plastidip is that my 2000 tundra is plastidiped and there's what I would call scratches in it from off-roading.

I got some plastidip laying around and our truck grill has black paint chipping. I'm thinking might as well try it but my only concern is the rough texture I've seen on others. Is there a trick to getting the dip to look smooth?

When I did my rims on my jeep they came out nice and smooth using the black that i got from Home Depot.
I think the trick if to put the first layer on thin, dont try and get full coverage on the first layer. I think i might have done 30% and then the next layer i got it to about 80% and the final layer i put on was a decent layer. I did 4 coats on them and they look real good, very happy with how they turned out.

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I read somewhere that you are supposed to put the first layer on real thin, like a dusting and then do your next layers slightly thinker and put 4 coats or more. They say more coats its easier to remove but will it also chip off easier?

I grabbed my can from home depot as well. If it turns out well, I might end up buying some of that top coat stuff depending on what type of finish I want. I might even try it on my blaster wheels but don't know if that would be a good option since I ride gravel roads a decent amount.

the trick is layers!!

I usually end up doing 5+ layers on everything i do.

I did my rims and they never nicked until i had tires pulled off. the machine scraped it then

also, let it sit for a day or two before using. plastidip is very weak in about the first 36 hours. after a few days its harder

yes def the layers being thin, and many of them. it requires 5 coats minimum for removability later and also for strength, and yes its a rubber product so for the first few days its still soft but a way around that is also using the hardener conditioner which also gives it a smooth finish like a car just factory painted, you can also add glossifier and add pearls and all kinds of other things.... its not truck bed liner, their should be no "texture" to it, plasti dip has come a long way

there is slight texture. and from a rattle can you cant expect perfection.

idk how the hardener look on rattle can work but i have seen most of the professional equipment usage