new build/old bike

I went into the air force. I was combat communications. went in when i was 17, and did my 4 years and got out. As a matter of fact I just got my honorable discharge certificate about a week ago (because I just technically finished my enlistment in sept.). 4 years of active, and an automatic 4 years of inactive reserve. Meaning, they can call you back at anytime. That will be in your contract to. you do 8 years over all just the final 2-4 are inactive (you basically arent in, but they still have the option to call you back at anytime)...

I am finally all done tho... Its a great experience (well was) I dont know about how its changing with the current leaders in office, but we wont go there... It gives you great opportunities when you get out!

If you have any questions about it or the military or curiosities. PLEASE feel free to message me. I wish I would have had the chance to talk to someone who had gone into the air force before I went in, but I just had my dad who was army like 25 years ago. ALLOT has changed since then... Like I said feel free to ask.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I had to stop to go rescue that guy, so this was how it stayed overnight.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I am ready to put gas and oil in the one, and get it fired up more pics in a bit.

maybe a vid. in a minute

yeah its pretty close. but overall I would say its better, but my wife is talking me into just building that one up to. So I am gonna keep my eye on the classifieds for a complete engine and tranny combo and the few other odds and ends I would need for it.

My only issue with it is I dont have a title for that frame... does it matter?

Can someone tell me if there is supposed to be a gasket between the jug and the head... I really think so, but cant remember. its been a year since I tore mine down. I pulled the head off the new motor, but there is no gasket. just metal on metal? Sounds like it leaks when running...

Also, it runs pretty good, and has good throttle response, and winds down nicely now, but it wont hold idle... I tried adjusting the screws on the carb, and they do no good. Could the lack of possible head gasket be causing it? I checked the reeds and they look brand new. Everything is stock. The carb is SPOTLESS. However, when cold with choke on it will idle. once idle is off whether its cold or warm it will not idle. My buddy says ride it a few times, and see if it gets better... I dunno. BTW: fresh 93 octane, and its still oil injected, and the injector is working, and it has fresh 2 cycle oil being fed.

thoughts please...

it should be a copper gasket between the jug and the head. throw that thing in there and see how it does

I have another question. when i pulled the reeds out I didnt notice much of any gaskets. on the rubber peice going to the carb there is a "built in" type ruber gasket that who knows if its making a seal. also on the engine side of the reeds I dont recall anything being there... Should there be?

If a cracked carb to reed rubber (dunno what to call it) can cause you to blow a top end why would leaks around were the reeds and that rubber and the jug connect not cause a problem? Is there an actual gasket that belongs there? I did a quick search and didnt see anything.

Sorry for all the Q's I am just trying to save my motor. Dont know why the last guy decided to put the motor back together without gaskets. kind of scary. I just want to make sure before I take it out to the trails and really ride it hard its not going to self destruct.

yes there is a gasket that goes between the reed block and cylinder and no gasket between the rubber neck and reed cage, if it is loose pullit apart and clean both surfaces and then put an thin even layer of black permatex rtv on one side and install the reed blockand rubber side on the cylinder and lightly tighten the bolts (you want them to squeez the rtv evenly but not squish it out) when dry remove and inspect for blobs of rtv and clean any up that over squished..then just get a reed gasket and put every thing back..

hey in your original post and pictures you had the rusty crank and all the parts laying there and I only saw a few flathead screw drivers....you didn't pry the crank and cases apart with those flat bladed screwdrivers did you?

If so shame shame.....

thanks for the reply. I did use the screwdrivers... although I expected the insides to be junk (which they were) after sitting for 10 years with michigan swap mud in it. I didnt try to salvage it. those cases go junked.

next time I will borrow my dads puller, and do it right.