Need help with 89 blaster!

Mrbrocco

Aug 18, 2007
Yea so i bought this used blaster for 575 ( i didnt expect much) and well i got what i expected, a mouse got into the filter and carburator and such and had a field day so i took all that apart bought new gaskets, a new piston, new rings on the piston( the guy i bought it from originally said that the only thing wrong was the rings on the piston... theres a list of what is wrong and its pretty hefty. anyway so we got everything on and attempted to start it, after like 5 minutes of kicking and giving gas i finally gave it a little gas and it started. it was very brief and noisy ( only had the exhaust on I:I but not the muffler) and then got it again and so i took off, the clutch was fine and the gears worked but we found out that the rear brake cable seized so removed that, got it running and moving it was awesome but now it wont start.. and the spark plug when removed is full of gas/oil is that right?? my first 2 stroke anything.. and i dont know much about motors, having a freind help me rebuild the carb when the new rebuild kit comes.. hopefully that might solve the problem.. anyone have suggestions like the reed is fine but i dont know if the float valve is sticking open cuz it was sitting in a garage for like a year. any suggestions would help if nothing does it ill have to take it to full throttle next week... which i dont wanan do cuz i dont wanna put like over $1000 into it and still have it not working.. thanks again anything would help ( and yes i had the right mixture of gas and oil 1 gallon gas to 1 bottle of oil says it right on the thing,)

there does seem to be a leak coming from around where the exhaust hooks to the head but thats prolly cuz its flooded, also it does not seem to idle very long

yea gotta pick up a new plug sunday sometime..and something about fuel mixture might be too rich its pretty thick, so we ran 70:1 ratio and it started twice...

switched.. and it never "ran" lol it fired up but not for long and right away today we changed it back.. waiting on a carb rebuild kit so hopefully that will do it.. if i havent already f'ed up the entire engine.. when i kick started it today it just backfired once every like 4 kicks so after the 3rd backfire i gave up

On the back of my oil it says for air cooled motors no more than 32:1...which is what im running.

On the back of my oil it says for air cooled motors no more than 32:1...which is what im running.

What 2 stroke oil are you running? if it's that weed wacker oil i'd run it at 32:1 also the only kind of oil i run 50:1 is a good synthetic oil, the name of it is "Super M" it's a smokeless racing formula.

well i run.. stuff that comes in like a small black bottle, and what is too rich mean cuz at 50:1 its popping aka backfiring and people are telling me its too rich... so too rich with oil or too rich with gas?!?!?!?!

well i run.. stuff that comes in like a small black bottle, and what is too rich mean cuz at 50:1 its popping aka backfiring and people are telling me its too rich... so too rich with oil or too rich with gas?!?!?!?!

too rich with oil. is what people are telling you. Doesnt mean your too rich though. Too find out if your too rich look at the spark plug. dark black and your too rich.

The only 2 stroke oil i seen that came in a small black bottle an said at to 1 gallon an it would be 50:1 mix came from the dollar store for 75 cents a bottle, i would deff buy some yamalube, Super M, or amsoil.

Just a second i got a ratio right cup that i use to mix an i will give you the exact amount let me go get it an i will post back.

where do you get the cup??? usually i mix i just calculate.. so 8 ounces to 2.5 gallons thanks guys that helps alot

your local dealer will have it its called a ratio right cup. fairly cheap

keep in mind the ounce hashes on the side of oil containers are not very accurate, comparitivly to the ratio cup

hi

I mix 4 ounces to a gallon. I really do not think that the ratio of gas to oil has much to do woth your blaster starting. The carb probably does not need to be rebuilt. You should just take it apart and clean it. Spray out each jet to make sure all of the passageways are not clogged. Then clean out the float pin area. Is the carb leaking out of the over flow tube. If so than your float is sticking. I would buy a can of starting fluid and spray some on the filter. This will get the bike started unless you have low compression. Also put your muffler on so you have proper back pressure and so you do not blow out your rings. I would also get a compression guage and see how much compression you have in the engine. An enigine with low compression will back fire. Check the engine head bolts to make sure they are tight. Did you use new gaskets when you rebuilt the engine.

oh oh oh i gotta speak up here. I am glad someone said to put the silencer back on. As for your carb just wait for your rebuild kit to come in and give it a good cleaning while you have it apart. I know Chrisorbics said to spray starter fluid on your air filter. Make sure you DO NOT SPRAY IT IN YOUR CYLINDER. 2-Stroke + Starter fluid = BAD. Go out and buy a ratio cup and some good 2-stroke oil. Blaster freak is correct about only seeing synthetics run such a lean mixture. In fact im old school im just now switching to synthetics. I used to run blenzall (smells good) hehehe. I read that you actually had it going. Im sure it was very loud with no silencer. I am sort of concerned that you may have seized it up. Especially if you ran your mixture at 70:1 with chain saw 2-stroke oil. Keep us posted.

Spray out each jet to make sure all of the passageways are not clogged. Then clean out the float pin area. Is the carb leaking out of the over flow tube. If so than your float is sticking.

this should be your next step, in trying to solve your problem.