My blaster does not like me

seek206

Aug 20, 2009
This my first post on this site and i am in need of help. I have a 01 blaster with an electrical problem from hell. It only works when it wants to. This summer I have been getting ready to sell it to help pay for school. There's no where to ride it around that i know of. Plus my parents always need the truck so I can rarely even take it somewhere i can ride. Anyways back to the quad

At the beginning of the summer took the blaster out of my shed and moved it to my garage to start work on it. I change the spark plug and put some carb cleaner in the cylinder, she starts right up. I rev the engine or a couple mins until the smoke goes down. I let the engine die (it doesn't idle thanx to larger carb from a 86 kdx200). I wait a little bit and try to start it up without any fluid which seems to be a challenge for my bike. Things are looking pretty good considering i haven't started it in over a year. The next day I see if i can get it started cold. It doesn't want to start. So i grab some carb cleaner and spray some into the carb. It starts but dies shortly after. So I say its not getting any gas. I clean out the carb really good and things start looking better. It starts up but only with starter fluid or if the engine is hot.

Now we get to where i am at now. I was cleaning it up with a wash to get ready to take pics of it. I wash it up and drive it over to a small opening next to my house. I take the pics and then get on it to drive it back to my garage. It doesn't start. So i grab some carb cleaner and put some in the cylinder. Still doesn't start. I get really pissed and push it back in my garage and curse the thing out.

I just recently put it on ebay to sell. I figured since it was getting gas and has compression that it had to be electrical. Today i took it apart cleaned the wire connections and some grounds with sand paper. I also thought it was the f****** tors unit. I had the unit of the car but the connection was still in the throtle housing and the box was still connected. I cut the wires in the housing and disconected the box. I check to see if the plug is getting any juice. I check and there is voltage. I put the spark plug in to check the plug. Turns out the plug was bad. Lucky since i know this blaster runs through spark plugs like it's its job i have extras laying around. I check to see if that spark plug is good and put some gas into the cylinder. I put everything back together and kick the starter. There is life. It starts but is idling extreamlly high. So i go to start it again but it won't start. So i pour a little more gas in the cylinder and it start but is idling really high. I let it run for a little bit to see if it goes away and it doesn't. I try to start it up again. nothing it won't start. The only way it will start is if i put some type of starting fluid in to the cylinder. Please help.

could be fuel filter clogged. pull fuel line from carb and see if you get good flow through line. if you have really high idle could be air leak somewhere since your pulling carb on and off a few times. make sure it's tight on all connections--carb boot,reed gaskets/bolts,carb cap.

I keep telling you guys not to put bike carbs on quads, If it was mine I would take the float bowl off and turn on the gas if gas is flowing turn it off, check what size pilot and clean that circuit real good, the pilot is probably plugged remove it and buy anew 1 dont waste your time cleaning it and clean that circuit, the best is a boat place that has a carb cleaning station

Last edited:
I know it is getting fuel because Once i get it running I have to use the kill switch to turn off the motor. I'm not sure about an air leak since I haven't taken off the carb since it was running good but I haven't checked that yet. The carb is a 36mm i believe. It has the stock jets in there. I haven't bought a set. I know it has a problem with idling before but that was it couldn't. Would cutting the Tors wires in the throttle cause it to idle high?

It's definitely not anything electrical, it's carb jetting, maybe bad gas, and just a general tune on your carb. Trust me, i've got an oversized on mine and it takes a lot of tuning

100% carb, until you've fouled the pulg. Gonzo has a point, the pilot sounds plugged. That huge carb prob has a large pilot, but if plugged you would have to add fuel for starting (like you are doing). This could also be contributing to a lean condition, causing the high idle.

Take out the pilot jet and look through it (held up to light) You should see a pinhole of light through it. And make sure you have done a proper TORS removal, that can F you up in a heartbeat.

i had a problem similar to this on a 2 stroke goped scooter. i threw it off a bridge and it seemed to correct the problems i had with it. as helpful as that sounds ide say check that all the little passages in the carb are clean especially the pilot. i may consider trying to find another carb made for a blaster or commonly used on a blaster like pj oko mikuni keihim or somethin. alos check you have good compression and no air leaks. i ran my blaster for like 2 months with fully blown crank seals and it costed me a new top end. good luck wiht it !

Have you ever had it running good with that carb? Or is this a new problem? I think the carb needs a soaking type cleaning. A quick spray down isn't going to do it. Be sure to comepletly dissassemble it for cleaning. Also set float level.

the high idle sounds like a air leak as many have said mine had a similar problem so i got all new gaskets and seals it solved that problem also try goin with a different carb that one just sounds like a pain in the ass. also check your reeds cause mine was doin some weird stuff similar to that and found out my reeds were missing