my blaster 350x......

bell

Oct 5, 2008
hello all, i'm new here but have been putting together a blaster which i've wedged in a honda 350x 4 stroke (had it from an old bike)
so far the motor is in place, all the brakes/bearings have been replaced, located the oil cooler in the nose....

things left to do, piece together the exhaust, buy a chain, and make a gas tank and cover......so far counting what i made on the parts i sold (old engine was blown) i have about $180 in the project (including the blaster, it was a tip from a customer).....

i recently moved from ohio to florida, now that i'm about settled i can move forward and finish this thing up :)

here are some pics from when i got it to where it's at.....
day1
166991818885_3300.jpg

stripped down
186716518021.jpg

front engine mount
2-2-2008002.jpg

top mount
2-2-2008003.jpg

mounts done/frame painted
1-27-2008007.jpg

rolling chassis/engine in place
2-3-2008blaster001-1.jpg

front, cooler in nose
2-3-2008blaster002.jpg

top view...
2-3-2008blaster005.jpg

more to come in the next few weeks.......

Reactions: blasterman312
looks good. nice fit and you didnt have to strech the frame any to get it in there. dont forget to post pics once you get that bad boy all put back together.

the frame was roughed up, primered and painted.....the top pics were from mock-up....the bottom 4 are after paint. next time i have it torn down i'll send it out for powdercoat.

personally i've never liked the 2-stroke 200's in the blaster so i didn't want to spend to put the destroyed one back together. i've always liked the torque of 4 strokes, and like i said i already had the 350x.....so in it went :D

i had this on another forum i frequent, but it's not a quad forum.

looks good. nice fit and you didnt have to strech the frame any to get it in there. dont forget to post pics once you get that bad boy all put back together.

we did alot of measuring to be able to get it in without butchering the frame, the added beams and the way we boxed in the front lower mount really tightened up the frame to handle the extra weight/torque..... it's a real pia to install or remove the engine as you need to "clock" it into position once it's near the mounts and it's pretty heavy, also need to pull the steering stem to get the exhaust in place :D
it lined up very nice, i'll probably need to fab up some chain runners though.
it's already been running with an open pipe and a temporary gas tank, i should have my head back this week from my machinist so i can start to button it up.

i dont have the pics of the actual swap with me, but here is an action shot of my last motor swap project. it started life as a 2002 GSXR600 and got a 40 HP boost when i decided to wedge a 2002 GSXR1000 motor in that frame. i know what you mean by it being a pain to muscle the motor to get it all lined up right. try it with an inline 4-cyl that isnt much smaller than the motor in a Honda Civic.

there will be no kicking of the bag..........
here's what the 200 engine looked like when i got it, the piston had major slap and caught an edge destroying the piston/cyl wall etc.....
so....rebuild an engine which was in pieces and missing a bunch of little stuff.....or drop in a good running 350x, i chose the latter :D
DSC03309.jpg

i dont want to sound cynical but why ? i realize your blaster engine needed repaired but perosnaly i dont see how adding another 60 pounds to the quad and reducing the available unlocked power is much of an upgrade if you can call it that ,atleast your doing a good job at it though ..looks clean .

dont listen to any of these haters man this project looks pretty sweet and you did a good job doin it without messing with the frame like you said haveing some low end torque is nice and could sometime mean the diffenence between stalling out on a hill or not (not that it happens very often but it does suck). no one should ever be flamed for trying something different!!!!

keep up the good work..

i don't take flaming to heart.....this IS the internet LOL
everyone keeps asking "why", i already answered that.....i had the 350x engine sitting there doing nothing, if i had a gsx-r750 engine then i would've probably tried to wedge that in there :D

the gas tank will be made from scratch and will go higher than the stock one , i'm using a locking gas cap (made by CAT), and then will make a fiberglass tank cover which i'll paint......

i wasnt "flaming" im just a hardcore 2 stroke lover, lol. if i had the engine sitting there and a phucked up blaster motor i'd do the same thing. you did a really nice job, it looks super clean I:I

ya man its gonna turn out good dude, me and my cuzin are trying to stuff a 450r motor in my old blaster frame . ill see if i can find any pics

was it hard to mount it to the swingarm/motor bolt? i looked at some of these motors on ebay and the hole where the swingarm/motor bolt is looks pretty small to fit that bolt.

i added new beams for my mounts, we thought about making it work with the swingarm bolt but found a better solution once we got the engine sprocket lined up where we wanted it.
here are some pics of the pieces i added for my mounts, i will use a long tubular insert for where the stock engine mount was so the swingarm will still function properly.
being the sprocket is a little more forward than the stock engine i'll be making some chain guides, and probably a tensioner sprocket since the geometry of the chain changed.

the top mount can be removed to make room to clock the engine into place....

pics....
1-27-2008001.jpg

1-27-2008003.jpg

1-27-2008002.jpg

2-2-2008003-1.jpg