My 1st Blaster

Markblaster

Custom blaster
Dec 6, 2015
Hi all Blaster lovers.

Starting a build thread of my bike now as I will be doing a lot to it next year. Bought the bike so I had a bike to ride over Christmas.

Anyways its a 2005 Yamaha Blaster that I picked up of a trading site. It come with a lot of new parts including: Full set of tires, hand grips, front wheel bearings, service manual, heel guard plastics and had a $1000 spent on the top-end and reed valves couple months ago. Has a Full FMF Powercore 2 exhaust on it.

Some photos of how I got it.
DSCN3434_zpsh2dhqcjh.jpg

DSCN3439_zpsbo6sklrp.jpg

DSCN3436_zpsvjikfix7.jpg

DSCN3435_zpswg51cc6e.jpg

DSCN3438_zpsecolzodj.jpg

First engine start after getting it home.

After removing the RockStar graphics and checking over the bike it looks like this. Also installed new handle bars, handle bar pad, hand grips.
DSCN3444_zpssywrvlh6.jpg

DSCN3445_zps9d1ds3qn.jpg

Installed a Trail Tech Endurance II Motorcycle Speedometer.
DSCN3447_zpsekxcfvpz.jpg

After topping up brake fluid drained old fuel/oil mix out of tank and installing new chain rollers gave the bike another little ride. Normally only takes 1 kick to start but fuel had to get into the system from tank.

Did find a couple of dodgy things on this bike when I checked it over.
1. Front wheels had 10mm thick spacers behind them making the wheel nuts only just thread on the ends of the studs. removed them and now back to normal

2. Rear wheels had 4mm thick washers behind them making the wheel nuts only just thread on the ends of the studs. removed them and now back to normal

3. Yellow wire going to the rear of the bike for the brake light had worn thought on one of the metal clips on the frame and was arcing. Un-Clipped wires from frame and electrical taped them up. Don't have a brake light installed.

4. Micro switch in the thumb throttle was missing the screw that holds it in place. Installed new screw.

5. 40:1 fuel oil mix in the fuel tank but still has the rear oil tank connected with oil in it. Going to be checking to see if oil pump is still working this weekend and if it is I will replace the fuel oil mix with normal fuel.

Will do another update later tonight. :)

Last edited:
Parts I have ordered:
7/8" Black Brake Master Cylinder Reservoir Levers Set
Front & Rear Brake Rotor Disc Set
Tusk Front Wheel Spacers 30mm
Tusk Rear Wheel Spacers 45mm
Aluminum Desert Grab Bar
Aluminum Frame Skid Plate
Aluminum A-Arm Skid Plates
Extreme Fabrication Racing’s XFR Pro Series II Nerf Bars

Still need to get swing arm skid plate, front bumper, Plastic race number plate to go where brake light was..

Nice clean bike, great starter. Buying a year with the hydro brakes is definitely worth it.

By $1000 spent on the engine I'm assuming that was not USD.
Stock reed cage is being used, could be boyesen reeds or something though

Thanks.

Yeah $1000 New Zealand so that be $665 USD.

Parts on the Invoice from last owner:
New piston 50 oversize
New rings
New pin clips
New gudgeon pin
New conrod bearing
New gasket set
New spark plug
New reed valves
Clean carb and set
Labour 3 hours

All was done at a motorcycle shop.

To install the Trail tech on my blaster I have designed up a mount for in the front wheel. Magnet bolt replaces one of the stock bolts on the brake disc and the bracket mounts to the 2 mounting holes the disc guard was bolted to. Bracket will be CNC machined out of aluminum.

Cad drawing. Software is TurboCAD Pro.
Trail%20Tech%20Spensor%20Mount%20Drawing_zpsfvufcn6x.jpg

3D of the bracket.
Trail%20Tech%20Spensor%20Mount%203D_zpssnyxr8zo.jpg

Will post more photos of the bracket and of it installed. If anyone is interested I can give you the file.

lookin good so far

why did you remove the heelgaurds ?
rear tire is going to eat your foot for lunch :(

lookin good so far

why did you remove the heelgaurds ?
rear tire is going to eat your foot for lunch :(

Removed the old heel gaurds that are broken. The bike come with a brand new set that I havent installed yet. But may not install as the Extreme Fabrication Racing’s XFR Pro Series II Nerf Bars have a foot peg and heel gaurd built into them.

242135960__51031.1435341801.1280.1280.jpg

Removed the old heel gaurds that are broken. The bike come with a brand new set that I havent installed yet. But may not install as the Extreme Fabrication Racing’s XFR Pro Series II Nerf Bars have a foot peg and heel gaurd built into them.

242135960__51031.1435341801.1280.1280.jpg
Awesome nerfs, but a high price tag. Although much cheaper than paying for a medical bill to straighten your leg...

Yeah price is high but only ones I could find with nerf bars with built in heel guards.

Got my Disc brake set today. :)

Got my Hand guards and swing arm chain guide today.

Also ordered:
CFM Performance Scoop Kit.
CFM Performance Air-box Intake.
K&N RD-0720 Air Filter.

And looking at front bumpers at the moment. Like the look of this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301467456723?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
That is a pretty cool picture, hope it works for a blaster though, the mounting looks different

Do a little research on the CFM airbox on this site, you will find a few tips on how to mount it because it is goofy

Thanks will have a look at the CFM air-box. From what I can see in the photos online its got a mounting point on both sides on the air-box.

Last edited:
Yeah been searching and found photos of peoples installs. I like one persons install. They installed a gusset in the rear frame to bolt the one that wedges into the frame. Might look into doing that. Will work it out when it gets here. Going to be stripping the bike next year to media blast and powder so can weld gussets into frame if needed.

Went for 1st ride today. Had lots of fine and the bike went hard. 1st time on a quad in about 2 years. Average speed is low because are beaches are speed limited to 30kph. lame rule. also you have to do 10kph when passing people that are walking or on horses. But I broke that rule and went for a couple of top speed runs and some sideways action.
Blasster%20Ride%2013%20Dec%202015_zpsjmun8ow2.jpg

Did find out a couple of things when I got home.
1. The key can be on or off and the bike can be started and running.
2. front brakes are sticking.

That is a pretty cool picture, hope it works for a blaster though, the mounting looks different

Do a little research on the CFM airbox on this site, you will find a few tips on how to mount it because it is goofy

Asked about the mounting and that image on ebay is just a stock image they use on all listings. Have brought one so got to wait now for it to get here. :)

Will take photos.

I have also ordered the Oil Injection Block Off Kit. Will do the TORS delete later on. Have done the park brake delete.

Last edited:
Nice pick up. I have the xfr nerfs on my Banshee and they are really nice. You'll like how the foot peg is wider and is very grippy.

Didn't the trail tech come with a bracket for the speedo sensor mount? I ended up drilling a hole through the brake shroud and mounting it that way. I like your CNC'd bracket alot more though!

The best thing I can tell you about the CFM air box is get it, and figure out the best way you see to mount it. Get it secured anyway you can that will work and you feel comfortable with. If your running a stock carb and need a airbox adapter, an OEM Banshee airbox adapter is all you need.

Good luck.

Thanks.

Yeah I had the trail Tech from another bike so don't have the bracket.

Yeah the CFM airbox will be here any day now. and will look into mounting it. Most likely make new mounts for it.
Running the stock carb.

Fixed the key problem. Black wire on the back of the key had broken at the solder.
Replaced the front wheel bearings and seals and started to look at the front brake problem. Removed the retaining bolts and cleaned them and rubbed a little grease on them and there was no grooves worn in them. Pads are ok also.

Any other tips on working out why the front brakes are ribbing / sticking. Thinking next thing to o will be to bleed the system.

Got my nerf bars and wheel spacers yesterday. Today I got my Oil injection block off kit.

Brought a flat deck trailer yesterday. Payed $411 NZD that's $278 USD. Has 3 new tires, New Led lights and wires plus plug. I removed the motocross front wheel holder off the trailer so I have a nice flat deck for my blaster. Want to put a bin on the front so I can throw ropes and tie downs and that in.

20151221_200440_resized_1_zpsipzw0ut0.jpg

20151221_200421_resized_1_zpsitjqgnc6.jpg

Going to water blast the wood on it to clean it up a bit and paint the frame.