Mikuni magic

you sure it's not yourself making it tough with these daily rants and one sided veiws ?
Cant you look through glass both ways ? Im not on a rant , Im asking what works or could work better. But if others are annoyed then forget it ....close the post for me.

Everytime someone suggests something, you tend to tell them your opinion why their wrong. That Kind of make a tough crowd.

I have on preference on carbs, and probably never will. Whatever works for whoever....good for them.

Reactions: armyboyjared
you sure it's not yourself making it tough with these daily rants and one sided veiws ?
Cant you look through glass both ways ? Im not on a rant , Im asking what works or could work better. But if others are annoyed then forget it ....close the post for me.
Everytime someone suggests something, you tend to tell them your opinion why their wrong. That Kind of make a tough crowd.

Whatever works for whoever....good for them.
Point taken ,out of sight out of mind ....CLOSED ...at least my post count improved !:cool:

i don't look in thru the glass, i kick the damn door down and roll right in :)

but seriously, you're the one with a one sided veiw about the mikunis, hence this thread.
we on here cannot help that mikuni would not spoon feed you, as a competitor, their R&D tested exact jetting numbers run by their sponsored riders.
get over it already on here, maybe call the mikuni people if you're still hungup on this ?
here's their # (310) 676-0522

btw, who new mikuni also has an "arts & crafts" division ? :)
http://www.mikuni.com/arts_and_crafts.html

and their homepage isn't bad either

MikuniFantasies.jpg

and for the record, I run a stock mikuni on my stockish bike, and a keihin on my modded bike :)

Reactions: armyboyjared
GOOD... could it be better ? Like I said before this Blaster carb is an 80s style adapted carb. My question remains ...is there another Mikuni that works on a Blaster besides this one ? I like always like to look for an edge when I can .
I have high hopes that the TMXX 35mm D slide carby will work well with our new build, at least I see no apparent reason to doubt that it will.

I had fun watching and reading the replies to your rant.

Cast your mind back a few days and in another thread you asked if anyone knew what a blow down jet was for, it was apparent that this was where the argument was going.
Mikuni tends to use the same float bowl on a few different models of carby, good on them. to keep the price of production down.

The blow down jet serves no purpose at all in the stock carby, so why start a kerfuffle, and add to the confusion on serious matters of jetting.

The only thing that you had to change to use that carb( other than jetting) was the needle to a JJH... the 3.5 slide was fine. I said the Mikuni works but it could be better ... JUST MY 2 CENTS !
All this info on what that carb needed but you still have never ran it on your bike. Remember you need to wait to jet it at a later date. Hence why you are running the stock junk mikuni. You are starting to make alot of sense. Have fun with that jjh needle. It's good to pic dog s**t off the sole of my boots.

I have high hopes that the TMXX 35mm D slide carby will work well with our new build, at least I see no apparent reason to doubt that it will.

I had fun watching and reading the replies to your rant.

Cast your mind back a few days and in another thread you asked if anyone knew what a blow down jet was for, it was apparent that this was where the argument was going.
Mikuni tends to use the same float bowl on a few different models of carby, good on them. to keep the price of production down.

The blow down jet serves no purpose at all in the stock carby, so why start a kerfuffle, and add to the confusion on serious matters of jetting.
I had fun too . Im glad to see that you answered the question ..." What are you going to run on youre new KOR set up ?" This really was the basic question, is there any better Mikuni carb ( other that the stock one ) that that will work on a modified motor. No one answered until now. The reason I asked was my motor has work done and the carb was bad . I built one carb out of 2 the slide in the original was galled real bad , the hole for the mixture screw stripped .I got a complete rebuilt kit from Shindy. I used a body and slide I got here from Surfjag to get the bike running, it had not be rode in 2 yrs. I removed the TORS system on the bike next .Since the Tors Idle was removed I needed to get it to idle correctly I got a Moose kit to do that. The idle kit works but does not stay tight even though I filed the boss flat. I was going to use a idle spring on it I had from Honda parts left. However the screw provided is too short for that so I put thread locker on it . Kinda hard to get the idle mixture screw set with the idle control screw thread locked.The holes that hold the float pin are elongated so the float wont stay set, last straw. I saw that people on this forum have had all the above problems and more...WITH THIS CARB.Why bother ?... it works for them I guess.A new stock carb is $250, no way. I figured there must be a better carb to use than this on a modded new motor .The old carb is just worn out . So I looked and saw that several that had modded motors tried to use the Keihin but they were having set up problems. I got a 28mm Keihin to see how it would respond to me setting it up . We have had rain, ice and snow here the past 2 months ,the track and trails are that we ride are underwater . That's why I wanted to wait till spring set up since I live in a sub -division ,so as not to bother anyone. As far as getting the correct parts for the Keihin , I searched again here for info and found little. I called The carbpartswarehouse and we went over the parts I needed to get started and bought them. I will not have any problem getting it right, never have in the past to win. . I wanted to see what and why members here are using.... now I know .

All this info on what that carb needed but you still have never ran it on your bike. Remember you need to wait to jet it at a later date. Hence why you are running the stock junk mikuni. You are starting to make alot of sense. Have fun with that jjh needle. It's good to pic dog s**t off the sole of my boots.
Thanks for youre input..:rolleyes:.Hope you can win the Championship this season ! Good luck

The humble stock VM26mm Mikuni is a wonderful little carb and works very well from stock builds to quite extensively modded engines using expansion chambers designed for the low/mid power range.

When one fits an expansion chamber that favours the mid/high range, greater benefits can be obtained by using larger bore and/or flat slide models.

Increasing the displacement of air does call for a larger bore unit to allow for more precise jetting.

The modifications KOR have done to my engine do not really call for such a large bore setup, but I need to experiment with the TMXX 35mm D slide to see if I can wring some more power from it.

Depending on what modifications you have done and what you expect from them I believe that Mikuni has them covered.

http://www.amazon.com/Mikuni-Series-Slide-Carburetor-VM28-418/dp/B000GZO5EG

http://www.powersportsplace.com/sea...-series-carburetors/carburetor-bore-size/28mm

http://www.carbparts.com/mikuni/mikuni_atv.htm

The humble stock VM26mm Mikuni is a wonderful little carb and works very well from stock builds to quite extensively modded engines using expansion chambers designed for the low/mid power range.

When one fits an expansion chamber that favours the mid/high range, greater benefits can be obtained by using larger bore and/or flat slide models.

Increasing the displacement of air does call for a larger bore unit to allow for more precise jetting.

The modifications KOR have done to my engine do not really call for such a large bore setup, but I need to experiment with the TMXX 35mm D slide to see if I can wring some more power from it.

Depending on what modifications you have done and what you expect from them I believe that Mikuni has them covered.

http://www.amazon.com/Mikuni-Series-Slide-Carburetor-VM28-418/dp/B000GZO5EG

http://www.powersportsplace.com/sea...-series-carburetors/carburetor-bore-size/28mm

http://www.carbparts.com/mikuni/mikuni_atv.htm
I thought that anything bigger than a 30 mm would make low speed suffer , except to drag race.I had a $300 limit to get a new carb. I was looking at the Sudco Mikuni and DG Racing Keihin,called since both would be 30 mm set up but this 28mm Keihin came up first, at less than $100. Same carb except smaller , since our riding is on fast trails and a small flat track I think it will work out. If not maybe a round ,flat or d- slide PJ Mikuni .;)

A 28mm bore will suit your application well.

Surely when you mention PJ you refer to Keihin!

Some loss however will be experienced at the low end of the rev range as you increase the bore size of the carb, this is because of the reduced speed of the air passing over the jets.

The expansion chambers that favour the highs, such as Toomey B1, and the right bend varieties can gain a lot of benefit in the top end of the pipe capabilities.

The use once, throw away, large capacity engines using an out of frame pipe, and drinking exotic fuel, shine, using extremely large bore carbs.

A 28mm bore will suit your application well.

Surely when you mention PJ you refer to Keihin!

No Mikuni.... makes a Power Jet kit # MK 406 ....$25. that can be added to several Mikuni or Keihin carbs . Its used to improve midrange to wide open throttle response in 2 -strokes .

Quite honestly I steer away from jet kits, I prefer to jet to suit the application, I always jet on the rich side for obvious reasons.

Rather to jet to suit minor changes caused by weather and elevation/humidity, I prefer to alter the AFR by changing the pre mix oil ratio.

I too had problems with the vito's idle screw with a jam nut, like it came loose and fell out on the first ride,
thats an aftermarket co. problem, not mikuni
and who wants to need a wrench to adjust idle ?
I went to my local dealership and the parts guy helped me find a different idle screw that fit the threads already tapped in, he had a ton of different ones, we settled on some knurled thumb screw with the tension spring, i think it was from a suzuki ? and I haven't had a problem since.
and can adjust my idle on the fly if i wanted to, no tools needed.