Looking at Cherokees what to get?

blasterdude14

Apr 28, 2009
ohio
Looking for my first car likely gonna be a cherokee but I'm stuck on which ones to go for really would like advice on what to take a shot at

could be fine? how hard is it to get a title? 99 jeep cherokee rolled run@drives
heres a grand cherokee 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee
i think this one needs a little to much work opinions? 90 Jeep cherokee sport TRADE/SALE
1995 jeep grand cherokee
this one might just be a steal 1992 jeep cherokee
wow $500 something major has to be wrong 98 jeep cherokee classic whole truck parts
maybe get lucky on a trade? 1989 Jeep Cherokee
could get this 1990 JEEP CHEROKEE and then get this 1993 Jeep Cherokee motor and tranny for it
needs some body work 1994 jeep cherokee 6 inch lift

Any advice on what to go for is helpful

well im not going to tell you what one to get, but i would get one that has a title, runs good and has the lowest miles/least things wrong with it

Well I'm just looking for advice man, they all could be steals but I have no idea which ones are the most realistic possibility

If it was me I would get a cherokee over a grand cherokee. Also if your getting a jeep make sure you get one with a 4.0L straight six, one of the strongest motors built. Other than that just look at the stuff you would a normal vehicle, clean title, never wrecked, doesn't use oil/leak, clean body/interior. If it was me I would get a runner unless you are looking for a project jeep then I would buy I rolling chassis and motor/trans, but also figure in the labor cost, and possible extra parts you may have to buy if you go that route over buying a running jeep. If this is your first vehicle/or you don't plan off-roading it very much or at all, I would stay away from one that has a lift kit, a stock jeep with a set of A/T's is a very capable vehicle in itself, and if you aren't going to do the wheeling to facilitate the use of the lift you are just wasting fuel from the extra drag/weight.

Good Luck
Levi

All Jeeps are well made machines that can take a beating, but definately get one with the 4.0 liter 6 cylinder like stated above. My brother in law has a 98 cherokee with that motor in it has over 160k miles on it, only thing he has ever had to replace was the serpentine belt. It still runs great and the 4 wheel drive still works flawlessly.

well ive owned nothing but jeeps my whole life.
thing to look for is the 4.0 I6. the 2.5I4 s arent bad but the 4.0 is the best engine
i had a cherokee for 3 years with 270,000 miles on it, and it was still running as strong as the day i got sold it. Stay away for the 3.7 its the worst.
the 91-95 years are the best 4.0 engines, thay have tons of upgrades for 91-95 and easier to work on. dont get me wrong 1990 and down are still good engines but i prefer the 91-95. and they made them a high output from 91 on.

1987-1990 4.0L (242 CID) I6 RENIX FI 242ci - 173 hp (129 kW) @ 4750 rpm, 215 lb·ft (292 N·m) @ 4000 rpm
1991-1995 4.0L (242 CID) I6 MPI (High Output) - 190 hp (142 kW) @ 4750 rpm, 220 lb·ft (300 N·m) @ 4,000 rpm

When you go to look at the jeep take off the hose on the valve cover connecting to the intake box and check for oil if you see any dont buy it means the rings are going bad and they probably beat the piss out of it.
Make sure there no rust in the floor pans because its common.

other then that cherokee are pretty solid the 4.0 is very reliable and everything that goes wrong with them you can fix on the side of the road.

the red 2 door looks nice, they slowed production of the 2 door models in 1990 and are less common to see rather then a 4 door.

thats a good price for the one that was rolled if i was closer i would buy it just for parts for my cherokeeI:I.

good luck hope this helps

i know other ppl have said it but the 4.0 straight 6 is a solid motor.......they run forever....id prefer a 4 door just cause itd be easier for you to get stuff outta the back seat...but its your desicion...

can't help you decide between those ones but i have a 99 grand cherokee limited and i love that thing i've put around 70,000 miles on it with no major issues. v8 still gets 21mpg going 80 on the interstate in town mileage sucks when i'm driving but wife says she gets about 13

get one with a title and the one that needs the LEAST amount of work and the least amount of miles on it. and of course it has to look good.

I love jeeps, i will say i bought my 92 4 door with some rust for $300, ran and drove needed a hub, u joints, and brakes. But here is some motivation on the cherokee, i have a grand as well but have not had to try this in it so im not sure if it fits...
04-23-10_1654.jpg

1994 jeep cherokee 6 inch lift

I like this one.I would take the lift off and get smaller tires.It may need a little body work but seems to be a good deal with the low mile motor.You can get a little cash back for the lift and tires.

lmfao, what idiot would do that???? thats the whole point of a jeep. lol

I got a 90 jeep cherokee limited with a 4 inch lift and 31 by 10.50's and it only has 150,xxx i got it for 1500...

and imo the grand cherokees are stupid they looked retarded but thats just me. and make sure its 4x4 lol and i would get a 4 door if i were you

the guy with the 89 hasnt answered at all though
had my friend call the guy with the 92 he didnt answer so idk whats going on with that
texted the guy with the 90, then had my friend call him he texted back after about 10 minutes saying that he had someone coming to buy it said he will let me know so idk
gonna email this guy tonight see if he will take my trade 1994 jeep cherokee 6 inch lift