Let me hear your motor swaps

There was a pretty cool video on youtube of a ZX6R swapped Blaster in the dunes. Sounded awesome. It's crazy how cheap you can pick up sportbike motors. Definitely not a "bolt in" operation though. Looked pretty well done, but definitely had some frame cutting/stretching going on.

I also found a video of a pretty clean looking CBR600 Banshee, with a step by step picture video of the build. NOT a minor project. I'd get discouraged and stop I think.

Honestly if your going to do a swap look for a mid late 70's yz400 or 465, those are basically a giant blaster engine. If you want something a little more modern look for a 90's or newer 250 2stroke, but then you have to think about where to mount your rad.. Nothings ever easy and only half or less of these swaps ever turn out.

Something you've probably already heard is the vibration issue with single cylinder motors other than the counterbalanced Blaster & old trx250r's. Usually the more cc's the more vibration. IMHO :)

yea..ive seen a few of the newer street bike engines put into the blaster and raptors.. they look fun but i dont see them being any good in trails... maybe a sv650 engine..something a little more tame then an inline4 and still has plenty of power.

vtwin would be ok i think @ 90+hp

I've been waiting to see a big American V-twin in a sport quad.
Not that I would do it but the sound of it in the dunes would be different and awesome.
It's too bad 2 strokes wained before they made counterbalanced big singles.
You get a 400 - 750 2 stroke big single and just have it all.
Torque, HP, lightweight, cheap easy rebuilds.
All those crotch rocket swaps are boat anchors.
Even a lil 600 inline 4 weight over 150lbs.
Good for burn outs and open sand dunes, bad for anything else.

Just stumbled on this forum and thought I'd better join with the project that I have in the works:

Blaster Engine Hybrid Enduro Machine? - ThumperTalk

The KTM guys hate me for it, the "Yamaha 2-stroke" tt guys ask "WHY?!", so I thought I'd see what you guys think of the idea!!

For those who don't want to click the link; I have a ktm 200 chassis with a "plated" title and am working on getting a blaster motor into it for enduro use. It does actually fit pretty well obviously will take some motor mount welding and pipe fitting.

I was looking for a simple dirt bike which nobody makes anymore! No powervalve, no rads to smash, lightweight, and doesn't need to make all kinds of raw hp for tight woods trails.

BTW some of you guys got some SICK blasters!!:eek: Wow I didn't know how much people got into them things.

Welcome! Looks like a fun build. You should have sum rock crawlin gears since the Blaster 1st is like a granny gear. :) Lotsa blaster motor info here. Start a thread so we can follow along.

Sounds cool! Post up a thread for us to follow along!
I'm actually in the middle of putting a blaster engine in an old kx80 roller I had laying around.

HPIM1411-1.jpg

Sounds cool! Post up a thread for us to follow along! I'm actually in the middle of putting a blaster engine in an old kx80 roller I had laying around.

Haha I've been lookin around on here and found that thread already! I will start a thread on it. Seems like you guys are a little more supportive than other places that I've posted. It seems that blaster guys are maybe humble kinda like xr guys (own, ride, and race one) but I love to pass the "new" stuff on my old "junk" and just laugh. The feeling of passing a brand new ktm that costs $9k on an air cooled XR400 that cost $1500 cannot be beaten! I expect the same from this machine - plus LOTS of questions haha

Haha I've been lookin around on here and found that thread already! I will start a thread on it. Seems like you guys are a little more supportive than other places that I've posted. It seems that blaster guys are maybe humble kinda like xr guys (own, ride, and race one) but I love to pass the "new" stuff on my old "junk" and just laugh. The feeling of passing a brand new ktm that costs $9k on an air cooled XR400 that cost $1500 cannot be beaten! I expect the same from this machine - plus LOTS of questions haha
Yeah its a smaller forum, theres alot of nice guys here that are very helpful. Just ask any questions you have, we are happy to help!