Leg issues.. easier start?

turbokh

Sep 19, 2012
Hey! I have leg muscle issues.. long story. I have problems kicking my 98 Blaster. I was thinknig maybe there's a kick starter that's longer that would give me more leverage? anyone know of something that would fit the Blaster engine? any other ideas are certainly welcome!

-Karl

Not sure extending it would work, it would be flopping a round and banging your leg while riding. Couldn't ya kick it with the other leg?

well your chain will hate you for this so will your clutch but you could always bump start it then your leg will not be an issue... i would have to agree i dont think a longer kicker would help much. i would guess a longer one would put your leg at a bad angle when trying to kick it...causing more problems for your leg... just my opinion

no muscles needed............standing, foot on kicker, keep right leg stiff, transfer all weight onto kicker by lifting left leg and slightly rolling body to the right, putting your full weight onto the kicker, it has no choice but to go down, and start.
i've taught 90lb. 10 year olds to start my stock compression blasters using this method.
all weight transfer, no muscles.

My dad severely fractured his knee when I was a kid and never had surgery...it was his right knee, so what he used to do was start it with his left leg. Awks method would certainly work but I'd worry about agrivating your injury.

Hey! I have leg muscle issues.. long story. I have problems kicking my 98 Blaster. I was thinknig maybe there's a kick starter that's longer that would give me more leverage? anyone know of something that would fit the Blaster engine? any other ideas are certainly welcome!

-Karl

If none of those other good suggestions are able to help you out. I friend or family member, might be the way to go, to help you out, getting it started.

The next suggestion, is a rather complex option and difficult.

Now, I have never done this with a blaster or any model myself.

However, there might be a way to make a electric start type deally.

What I mean, is. my thought are along the lines. of the r/c starters.

Not meaning use that.

but you might be able to make or rig something up, that would go onto the kick start shaft and turn it over.

a one way bearing would help resolve, it coming back at you or causing damage, but the really hard part is limiting the turn. Im not sure you could let it turn all the way around, maybe. I've never done it or tried it.

But the idea comes from when I used r/c and they had a one way bearing and ect on the started.

I also seen drag harleys, have a start that went to the crank or something, to start them up.

But this is out there as a idea and of last resort. But idea to mention, depending on you health issue. Id try friends and family to help start it, if non e of the other good suggestions were not of help.

Sporty

Thanks for all the replies!

Being 50 years old and 30-something bikes and quads later, this problem is new for me. It affects both legs. I recently bought a CRF150F solely because of the electric start. It's hard to admit (to myself) that my legs really ARE that weak. I know about locking the right knee, but believe it or not, I don't have the strength to do that too many times, either. Its got a fresh bore and piston.. maybe the extra compression put it over the edge so I have a really difficult time starting it.

Keep thinking.

/\ /\ /\

That would be a brute of an invention!
Ya someone would have to talk to the drag racers, who use that type of set up, to see if there might be a way to do in on a blaster.
Im sure someone will do it, at some point.

health issues, are a key to overcome. if they can do a car or van for a person in a wheel chair to drive, someone can do a blaster to electric start or something.

Maybe some of the super advance builders, can come up with something, or have some good solid ideas or blue prints.

This is what the greatness of this site is all about. This is a prime case of trying our best to help someone out, who really needs it.

My uncle suffers from MS and hes in the latter stages of it. and he has managed to have a good life and find ways to drive, drive a boat, ect.

Sporty

Although it would require some creative thinking, perhaps a recoil (pull) starter would be the way to go. As a lawnmower guy, Ive learned to snatch even a big engine to life with a rope. You'll only need to find a starter with the same or similar bolt pattern as the Blaster's flywheel cover.

You could theoretically bolt or weld the matching starter sheave to the stock Blaster flywheel, bolt up the pull starter, and be good to go. Its not gonna be quite that simple, but it is do-able and would not require putting too much stress on a leg.

Too bad they don't offer a Goki starter for the Blaster. Sigh.

what about an battery impact gun on the kick starter nut ?
you'd need a double nut where the kicker goes, or set screw it, so it could be spun backwards and crank the internals, and loose the return spring in there also ?
then keep the impact gun in a carry box bolted to the grab bar for use out on the trails ?