lectron carbs

370 how many Blasters are on alcohol, hell they shouldn't run race gas, they hold to much heat and to run race fuel you need comp. now you said alky, I think 2 things 1Banshee 2drag race then there may be some use for the Lectrons but a blaster I just dont see it money better spent somewhere else. just my .02

People can crank out different gains, and if you're smart and build right, you'll get a little more than just 2,000 rpm powerband, have you personally tried using one on your bike? It sounds to me like it's just a different kind, that's like saying never buy a round slide because the flat slide carbs are better and it's just a waste of money to do anything else. When it's just personal opinion. I'm not seeing any facts to back up that the lectron carbs are bad gonzo.......

250r and tecate guys use lectrons on gas all the time and love them... they are a great carb.. and as far as blasters on alky? there are more then you may think.... and what do you mean blasters shouldn't run on race gas? yeah they are aircooled and may retain more heat... so for that reason they shouldn't run on race gas? i'm not seeing your point here... i'm not trying to be a dick.. just wondering where exactly your comming from

the higher the octane the more efficiently and cleaner ur engine burns im really likin these carbs. i found a really good deal on a 40mm lectron but i think its wayyyy too big for a blaster. i dont wanna go any bigger than 35mm

here is a 40mm for sale on ebay
i think its gonna go dirt cheap link

Last edited by a moderator:
Race gas has lead in it and keeps the engine cooler, so aircooled 2strokes should run race gas.

It is true that race gas may give the stock blaster a little more pep or the smell may make you think it's faster but the fact about hi octane fuel is it will do little without the compression and correct timing to back it up. Unless you are running 14:1 CR in your blaster (if the head gasket would even hold it) you have no need to run 112 octane fuel. It is true that the tetra ethyl lead in race fuel lubricates better than unleaded fuel and the fact that race fuel burns slower and with a much more stable flame front. It probably would make a stock Blaster run cooler but in order to make any power with race fuel you need compression and more timing and with that comes much more heat.

Reactions: gonzo
It is true that race gas may give the stock blaster a little more pep or the smell may make you think it's faster but the fact about hi octane fuel is it will do little without the compression and correct timing to back it up. Unless you are running 14:1 CR in your blaster (if the head gasket would even hold it) you have no need to run 112 octane fuel. It is true that the tetra ethyl lead in race fuel lubricates better than unleaded fuel and the fact that race fuel burns slower and with a much more stable flame front. It probably would make a stock Blaster run cooler but in order to make any power with race fuel you need compression and more timing and with that comes much more heat.

nice to know that, is there any one to back this up

^^^Very true.
`

tim is right.. octane is not a measure of "power" but more ameasure of resistance to knock ro resistance to detonation.. higher octane fuels burn SLOWER not faster.. so when your buddy with the civic and the fart can exhaust tip puts 93 in his all stock civic he's actually making it SLOWER!!! ok lets look at it this way..

just for easy figuring sake lets say that your spark plug fires at 10deg BTCD (before top dead center)
you want the flame front to have built enough cylinder pressure to give you a full "push" on the piston down stroke..

lets say we are shooting for 15deg ATDC (after top dead center) and on pump gas teh flame front is timed to actually hit that 15* ATDC

now when you put say 110 octane fuel it burns sigficantly slower than say 93 octane.. so with the same compression and timing your flame front is ending and you "push" may not come till say 30* ATDC you've now lost 15* of "push" therefore your making LESS power.

higher compression will accelerate cylinder pressure and therefore cylinder temp and will aid in the combustion process and the flame front will burn faster... added ignintion timing will light the mixture sooner so the flame front will end at your desired time. added ignition timing helps in the low-mid same with higher static compression but these things in excess will hurt your topend power.. you've probably heard the saying before.. "good if used in moderation"

you diggin what i'm shovelin???

TIM LUTZ IS CORRECT!!!!

thank you Tim, blasters do not I repeat do not have race motors! you guys can get some good hp out of them I think Kennedy is in the 40's with alot of work may get 50 if he goes all out, about what a stock 250 YZ has, thats a STOCK motor on pump gas with a good powerband, a TZ250 has 70 can approach 80 with alot of work but these are race motors, I'm not saying they (blasters) should not be raced modified or anything else but to put money on top of money may be kind of silly, me I would lengthen one get the handling right and yes put that liquid cooled YZ motor in there and then I'd be kickin some butt and look good doin it!

all im saying man is if this lectron carb costs me $35-50 more than a regular carb then ill get it simply because of the easy tunability. i would pay $50 so i can spend less time at home tuning it. and have it dialed perfectly come ride day! and not having to change jet sizes due to altitude. that me that money is well spent

thank you Tim, blasters do not I repeat do not have race motors! you guys can get some good hp out of them I think Kennedy is in the 40's with alot of work may get 50 if he goes all out, about what a stock 250 YZ has, thats a STOCK motor on pump gas with a good powerband, a TZ250 has 70 can approach 80 with alot of work but these are race motors, I'm not saying they (blasters) should not be raced modified or anything else but to put money on top of money may be kind of silly, me I would lengthen one get the handling right and yes put that liquid cooled YZ motor in there and then I'd be kickin some butt and look good doin it!

You had to mention motor swap didn't you LOL
The YZ250 seems to be a popular swap for the Blaster. My dream quad and the one I have been planning for the last 6 months is to find a YFZ450 rolling chassis and put a CR500 or KX500 water cooled motor in it. Think about it. The best handling quad bar none minus about 30 pounds with 68 horsepower. Just need to figure out how to put lights on it.

i know where theres a yz250 motor if anybody wants it!!!!

btw gonzo, kennedy has a blaster he ran on alky i believe.

lectrons are good carbs for gas or alky. so if you want to buy an easy tunable carb, i would. i actually have my eye on 2 40mm lectrons now, im planning on putting it on an LT250r.

blasters have great engines, and when done correctly, make awesome power. IMO they way to make the most power is to put some water on that engine!!! install a water cooled kit, you can now do whatever you want to it. and it will run longer, and faster.

gonzo you need to get around some more....there are plenty of guys runnin race fuel, and alky to gain hp for their setups. some are even dyno proven. im not sayin the higher octane makes power, im saying they have their engines setup to run higher octane and arent. lots of guys run alky, how many guys do you see drag racing blaster? they are becoming more and more common. they are way affordable, small, light, and mods are cheap.....lots cheaper than a banshee, thats for sure...and almost just as easy to gain HP as a banshee, not nearly as much, but still....easy to get good HP gains.

all im saying man is if this lectron carb costs me $35-50 more than a regular carb then ill get it simply because of the easy tunability. i would pay $50 so i can spend less time at home tuning it. and have it dialed perfectly come ride day! and not having to change jet sizes due to altitude. that me that money is well spent
if you can get a hold of a lectron that works for your blaster, do it i say. and i bet theres plenty of guys here that agree with me.

You had to mention motor swap didn't you LOL
The YZ250 seems to be a popular swap for the Blaster. My dream quad and the one I have been planning for the last 6 months is to find a YFZ450 rolling chassis and put a CR500 or KX500 water cooled motor in it. Think about it. The best handling quad bar none minus about 30 pounds with 68 horsepower. Just need to figure out how to put lights on it.
how bout you just buy my 88 250R chassis that's been set up to run a cr500 engine.. all set up with rubber mounts to help with the vibration isses assocated with a cr500 powered quad.. these old 250R's handle just as good as YFZ anyway..

i have a 250r with a cr500 in it already thats for sale i have a lot of money in it close to 10k and im selling it for 2500 great fast bike im getting older and like estart and way to fast for my kids

my experiances are this :for alky they are great ,top notch ..for gas i would stick with pwk keihins

guys I am not saying these are bad ideas, tuning a motor to run at its peak efficiency is fun and rewarding, my thought is why a blaster motor? they were not designed by Yamaha to be race engines, can you modify one to run a whole lot better than stock? sure they only have 16 hp and thats what I mean you can do this and that and spend thousands of dollars but what will you have when your done a stressed on the edge motor that can't be trail rode, I have been to alot of drag races and the Blaster class is not very popular but should you not modify it? sure, but like Flotek says run the PWK the jets are everywhere and for the .003 percent of HP you increase it is worth it? to me unless you need to cut your lap time by a couple thousandth of a second I don't see incurring the cost, how much is a needle?

gonzo,

i agree with you in theory. however, the cost-benefit analysis is different for everyone. i personally am thinking of using a psi genesis big air carb on my blaster. the reason i would consider this $500 carb is because of its ease of adjustability and its other design features-- i like that i can have my cake and eat it too. i hate taking a carb apart to jet and with the psi all i need is a 4mm socket and i can adjust the main through a range of 25 main jet sizes-- if i understand their explanation. i also like to be different and like the idea of having a powerful blaster. i know that for the same money i spend on my blaster i could have twice the hp in a banshee, but that banshee would not stand out and the blaster would! why do adults buy and spend big bucks to build honda 50's -- for sh*ts and giggles. i own my blaster and have tons of fun on it and find it easier to make my biotch (sorry ladies) than a banshee as she knows what daddy likes. my blaster has never overheated, toasted one of the cylinders due to fuel shortage (banshee), multiple cylinder tuning issues (banshee) or had a decompression valve stick causing a no-start situation (4-strokes). these are all things that i have observed while riding my low tech blaster with my buddies. and the biggest part of it is i like to be different. that being said i do agree with your position throughout this thread for the most part minus the race fuel as that is all i run and it is a personal choice as my blaster runs both cooler and smoother with it. my lady give me what i want so i try to wine and dine her as a reward for many years of good service.