jetting problems after spending $2000 on mods

What if a piece breaks off? How exactly do you do it through the spark plug hole?

You bend the solder in a scissors or outside caliper sort of shape and drop it down the hole, feeling for both edges to hit the side of the cylinder. Not likely a piece is going to get cut off because it is not long enough to touch a port. If it did, it is lead, softer than anything in the cylinder. For the work of 6 nuts, I'd pull the head.

Just a not-so-random thought:

Over the years I have built a lot of engines. Several were built to the hilt, massively over built engines, emulating someone's promise to make massive horsepower. Most were disappointments. Not that they didn't make good horsepower, and certainly had plenty of Bling power and bragging rights, but I didn't like the WAY these engines made hp. And all these "massively overbuilt" engines certainly did not produce very good hp per dollar put into them.

By "massively overbuilt" engine I mean following the typical bigger, bigger, bigger, max, max, max formula. Maximum bore, maximum cam, maximum compression, maximum valve size, maximum port size, maximum carb, etc, etc. I am pretty good at doing my research, but all of these engines were hard to live with, short lived and unreliable.

Often "other people's formula" is more about bragging bigger components as though that extrapolates into a more powerful engine, as though that compensates for some inadequacy in their life. Some of the most rewarding engines that I ever build or was involved with had few big buck parts in them. That 351C in the picture below, aftermarket intake and home-made headers and suspension. A street driven LS6 Chevy bigblock that ran 11 sec quarter miles with very few (but well thought out) modifications. An 11 second 302 Ford motor that was street driven that used only a lightly modified stock head of my design.

My point is that you don't want to chase a list of "big" parts to go fast.
I have seen so many vehicles over the years that came with an impressive list of parts that only gave ho-hum performance. My son is running a rough looking Blaster that is really pretty much stock with the exception of a head mod that performs extraordinarily. My estimate it makes no more than 25hp and yet will pull wheelies and rip up hills with ease, all with a stock carb. This engine is more fun to drive than the 32hp engine we had in earlier because it is more suited to the use of the vehicle.

Oh, and getting with the title of this thread, he probably has less than $800 into his Blaster including piston and gaskets.

271_29545085802_549110802_1505157_5231_n.jpg

Often "other people's formula" is more about bragging bigger components as though that extrapolates into a more powerful engine, as though that compensates for some inadequacy in their life.

/\ i know that guy, and he's on here !!!!

You need to swap carbs. Try a carb known to run good.
OR
You need to ship the entire thing to a builder. 2 stroke are supposed to be easy.

I now have a 55 pilot 162 main and I got my DGK needle in yesterday and started out in the middle slot. I ran it 10 minutes trying to keep it at 1/2 throttle but it flies. I had only one plug for a chop. It had some grey color on it still. I ended up dropping it to the richest clip slot and it still never bogged at all. So I'm thinking I am going to need then next richest needle. It was 60 degrees out yesterday. It might bog if the weather warms out though. However I will still need it for colder weather. I think all my multi point seizers were from lean conditions from to lean of a needle. I wasn't far off the mark with my pilot and main during the first runs with the modded motor.

As long as its not me that's being referred too. I'm not trying to brag about my bike. I put everything in my sig so ppl know what I've done to it to help diagnose what my problems were. I've got them all figured out now with the help from the members on this board. I'm the most honest about how fast it is and what I've put into it. Unlike some other ppl that I have run into and say there blaster does 91mph, yeah right.

Often "other people's formula" is more about bragging bigger components as though that extrapolates into a more powerful engine, as though that compensates for some inadequacy in their life.

Know a few guys like that around here also
They tend to go for big "first" ( and most of time last) bikes

one guy: never riddin a quad before, what he buy's ? predator 500 - never kept up with us did literaly 3 rides on it then sold and got a UTV

other guy: almost no streetbike experience what he buy's ? suzuki 750 - crashes, - ATVs are safer !!, never riddin a quad before, what he buy's ? Raptor 660 - flipped it once - wife makes him sell it and stop ridding bikes !

other guy: lots of street bike experience, zero off road what he buy's ?
ltz 400 - one month later - he's selling it - says it too tiersome riding trail's

Nuno

Know a few guys like that around here also
They tend to go for big "first" ( and most of time last) bikes

one guy: never riddin a quad before, what he buy's ? predator 500 - never kept up with us did literaly 3 rides on it then sold and got a UTV

other guy: almost no streetbike experience what he buy's ? suzuki 750 - crashes, - ATVs are safer !!, never riddin a quad before, what he buy's ? Raptor 660 - flipped it once - wife makes him sell it and stop ridding bikes !

other guy: lots of street bike experience, zero off road what he buy's ?
ltz 400 - one month later - he's selling it - says it too tiersome riding trail's

Nuno

Exactly Nuno! Although a little bit of this resides in all of us, it really sticks out when it is in the extreme. That we all have a bit of this inside us is probably why Turbowrenchhead felt we were talking about him. No, I certainly wasn't. I was just warning him not to be bitten by that bug. He was honest that he wasn't getting results and wanted results, He was not trying to impress us with his parts list.

Did you ever notice that it is never their fault that they crash or suck at riding or are slower than all their parts would suggest? Usually the machine or the rules or the lack of riding area or... anything else is blamed.

I have to admit, I have been bitten by that bug from time to time. Either bought too big a machine or modified far beyond what is reasonable. Luckily I have learned from those episodes and have learned to accept my inadequacies! I have owned a Raptor 660 (my first quad!) and settled back quite nicely on the Blaster thank you.

This is not about being competitive, most of us here are competitive. It is about being honest with about your skills, your results and your intentions. If you put a 35mm carb on your bike and it goes slower, but you cannot stand to swap back to the stock carb because you like the bragging rights of the 35mm carb,,, send yourself for a reality check.
You are not being honest with yourself or anyone else. How can you ever get faster that way?
If you haven't ridden your bike in weeks and yet find yourself laughing at the dirt and wear on someone else's bike,,, reality check.
If you find an irresistible urge to make every small aspect of your bike bigger than the next guy's even before an engine starts,,, now you know why.

If this hobby is about trying to impress, it is going to be a long hard road of egotistical disappointment.
If it is about learning and sharing and the thrill of the ride, you might find it a lifelong hobby.

Steve

Good post BEST !! I:I That's why I sometimes vote for the "underdog" for BOTM. Why I named mine the "Dirty Rat Blasturd", kind going for the rat rod look :D :eek: I have what matters Pipe&Porting , and tons of ideas I:I. The Blasturd has grown on me, it's fast enough to be fun and know it will take a while to heal these old bones, light enough that I don't have to manhandle it. And it shakes and wobbles enough that 56mph is probably fast enough for my old bones. :D

Thanks for the support guys. I don't get to ride much due to living smack dab in the middle of milwaukee. I have found a couple places where I can get away with a wot run for a plug chop but that's about it. I have to drive 3 hrs one way north to get to decent trails. The trails in northern Wisconsin are great and you can fly on them. I was able to tolerate the trails with the stock blaster suspension. After all the upgrades it rides like a dream now. I very happy with its power and handling. There hasn't been anything that's been able to pass me yet. But the right rider hasn't come along to embarrass me. I fairly confident in my riding skills. I grew up on dirt bikes and then two years on a honda 350X. The blaster is faster and handles better then my old 350X. I dind't ride from age 16 to age 36, but it was just like riding a bike. I jumped right back on it and took off like a bat out of hell, lol. I feel like I'm 16 again when I'm riding but after I get off the bike I feel like I'm 80 for a week.

If I was was any help at all, I am glad of it. Payback for all the folks who have helped me over the years.

I am spoiled. From my yard I have access to 100s of miles of trail systems. I can cross the province from Fundy to Atlantic and almost end for end (there is a causeway problem!). We in Eastern Canada don't have the vicious protection of private property that you have in the US. I let my neighbours cross my property and others let me cross theirs. When I was into 4x4 trucks I visited a friend in New Jersey. It was a 3 hour drive to get to State owned off-road terrain and there we could not leave the track and private property was all posted.

I too took a 5 year break from bikes when I was in my 30s. I had several small kids and obligations to work and to the Army Reserve, so biking was a selfish use of my time at that point. We got into 4x4 trucks back then, so everyone could ride, until all the kids were big enough for bikes again. Have always been beating the backtrack, as long as I can remember.

My riding skills cannot be very good. Broke many bones over the years, but I keep trying! Except for back and hip I have broken one of most every other bone. Did a rib and a collar bone in the past 5 years. Rode home on the broken rib but had to walk out with the collar bone, just could not steer the bike. Sheesh, I think I have a sense of adventure combined with poor co-ordination!

I find the quad hard on the body compared to a bike. On a bike all the shocks and movements are in one plane. On the Blaster my arm and knee joints get hammered in all directions. My arms and hands get hammered hard by impacts from the bars. It does hurt the day after, but I think it is therapeutic. A lot of guys my age doing nothing complain about aches and pains, well, I gotta reason for those aches and pains now.

So, it is a bright sunny day, in from the garage, enjoying my coffee. Son just called, we are going riding, all is well in the world. Glad you are part of the team.

Although I have not broken too many bones, my joints are a bit arthritic and riding in general hurts.

I get no better thrill in life than out on the track with my 15 year old son, leaving me in a cloud of smoke and dust.

I cant wait for the next ride!

We took our machines to Dyracuse ATV park in Rome Wis yesterday. Mainly because all the trails in Wisconsin are closed till Mid May. It exceeded our expectations. There are some challenging courses there. The two motocross tracks will push your machine. I didn't like the 15/38 gears for the motocross track. I wasn't able to get into 4th at all on it. I probably try a 13/40 gear next time if we go again. The dirt was very dry and loose and hard to get going in. Several jumps and whoops and washboards. The Pro Track was a jump track that defiantly used all the travel in my yfz450 shocks. It was a hard track and easy to get speed up. It was a bit nerve racking with 20 other machines on it at once. I did three laps and got off and my hands wear shaking. I tried it again at the end of the day when it was vacant. Then I got braver and started getting more air. There was also 10 miles of heavily wooded trails with nice combination of loose sand and dirt and not so many jumps and washboards in three separate loops. Two of the loops converged into a mud bog area. Which my 7yr old son loved. He also liked the pee wee coarse. We had some technical difficulties. My sons scrambler would only run with the choke on, so I cleaned out the pilot and that was fixed. My Kodiak must of had some reformulated fuel goo in the float seat because it lost about 2 gallons on the ground before it worked its way out. My friends blaster had a little bit of a lean bog at wot but we had tried moving the needle around to see what would happen. The main needs to go up to the next size which would be a 185. He was flying on the trails still.
My carb was dialed in real good. I jumped up my main from a 162 to a 165 and it still didn't bog. I didn't get a chance to go bigger yet. I'm on my last clip position on the needle so I can't go any richer on it till I get some more needles. My plug looked great. I had a little bit of grey on it during a 10 minute loop run at mostly 1/2 throttle. That's when I bumped up the main jet which should help out with mid throttle. I haven't pulled the plug yet. I'm beat still. It was a long day yesterday
My clutch cable snapped in the first hour there. So I was redneck shifting yesterday. I'm sure it was hard on my clutch and transmission. It held up the rest of the day though. So if your close to dyracuse and haven't been there I recommend going. If your machine holds up to those courses it will hold up to anything.

Last edited:
What is it with the new gas? Only good for about 3 months and it turns to a stinky varsol jello that doesn't burn. The hi-test (supreme, 91 octane) is much better than the cheap stuff but still cannot be stored any length of time.

Clutchless shifting is easy on the clutch, hard on everything else. I do it about half the time anyway, not a big hammer into gear but a little "snick" when all is right. Just laziness on my part, but I am gentle on it. About jets, I like running the main as rich as still works well. Gives some margin for error. The needle and pilot I like as lean as the bike will stand. This gives good fuel economy (more miles per tank) and crisp operation.

About the 15/38 sprockets, yeah, even if you can pull them, tall gears are not the funnest. Part of why the chase for top speed is a laugh to those of us who have done it. It sucks the fun right out of the bike. My 300 KTM will do over 100mph with the right sprockets on and can still be trail ridden, but is much more fun with 60-70mph sprockets on it. My Blaster is the same story, I have it sprocketed down to 65mph and it still too tall on the trails. It is nice to have some revs up when crawling through the rough stuff or shooting out of a slow corner. 60mph on a Blaster is about all you need in Eastern Woods. My son's is doing about that on 14/40.

Incidently, on my street driven 125 dirtbike I sprocket for the fastest speed I can get on the worst surface, which would be sand. Turns out to be about 70mph which is plenty of speed for both on road and off. It is nice because no matter what hill or terrain I come to, the bike can do it. The guys with 450s are amazed the little 125 can keep up all day long (only loses on hillclimbs). They think it is sooped-up when in fact it is pretty much stock with a bit of tuning. The fact it weighs 50 lbs less keeps me more on my game. Much like a Blaster compared to a 660 Raptor.

Clutch will feel a lot better when you get the new cable, smoother. I try to keep new cables on hand and try to swap them out when I see even one frayed wire. Doesn't always work. Broke a throttle cable on the 30yr old street bike last year and rode 50 miles home with a stick wedged in the carb linkage to give me very fast idle and 50mph. Rough in traffic!

Steve