is rotella a good oil

^^^ yeah, rotella is a Shell product. theres a few guys that use it. 10w30 would be my guess. me, myself, i dont use motor oil. i use what B7 said, ATF Type F. its made for wet clutches. the color makes for easy recognition in contamination determinations and its lightweight, which means less mass to slow down moving components. ive used it for 20+ years in all my rides where a wet clutch is present.

I switched to Rotella on my YFZ this year after doing a ton of research. However, I wouldn't recomend for blasters. Stick with the ATF stuff like the guys suggest above ^^^^^.

hmmmm i use bel ray 80-90. someone put 15-40 in it once and it slipped like a bastard.

Could you clarify which product you use? The 80w-90 is a Hypoid oil. Also comes in 85w-140!

The gear saver transmission one comes as only 75w and 80w.

AUSTRALIA | Bel-Ray Company, Inc

Bel-Ray Gear Saver Hypoid Gear Oil
Bel-Ray® Gear Saver Hypoid Gear Oil features Bel-Ray’s state-of-the-art Extreme Pressure chemistry to give unsurpassed protection for heavily-loaded shaft drive and final drive units including limited slip differentials. Meets or exceeds API GL-4 and GL-5 requirements. Not recommended for wet clutches.

Bel-Ray Gear Saver Transmission Oil
Bel-Ray® Gear Saver Transmission Oil is a gear oil that has been developed for the unique demands of all motorcycle transmissions equipped with wet clutches. Bel-Ray Gear Saver Transmission Oil flows freely for better clutch cooling and provides positive clutch engagement for better starts and longer clutch life while protecting highly-loaded gears from wear, ensuring smooth shifts for more positive action.

Last edited: