If You Give a Mouse a Cookie...

started out with blasting it, then hanging all new body panels, then going through the interior, now a motor swap, better trans to deal with the power, better rear end to handle the new power, now it needs suspension.....she'll be down a while, its still about 10-15k from being done

See, there's that damn mouse again :eek: but yours sounds like it's got a gun on you and is holding your wallet hostage I:I

The splice looks really good.

I misread what you said about the frames. I understand now...pics really do help!

ATV Riders Forum - gusset kit

this thread shows a custom gusset set. TPRusa also sells a full frame gusset set for the blaster if you can stand the spider web theme.

The gusset plates are $89 but the "installation kit" is an additional $350. I'm not even sure what an installation kit is... maybe it's the instructions, who knows. LOL

You can make your own though, 1/8" plate steel and a careful hand can cut out a whole lot of gussets. My local Ace Hardware has a wide selection of steelworks products and while they're not very economical if you need much at all, they are very convenient for a very small project. They carry 1/8" x 3" x 36" plate. It's about $15 for the plate but it would be enough to do at least one whole quad in gussets. A port-a-band (or saw-z-all with a metal cutting blade) and an angle grinder can make some pretty gussets if you have the patience for it.

Hey sicivicdude,
Thanks for the props and the link! I think that installation "kit" they're selling is they install it for you :D I'm pretty sure that by looking at their pics and the pic I found here on BF, I'm gonna make my own. I'll just cut out some cardboard to check the fits on the frame for each one and then transfer and start cutting and filing and filing and filing and filing........
That's gonna have to wait until I get it all assembled though so I can be sure the gussets I make don't interfere with, or block access to anything.

I got plenty of patience, did I mention that I think of the money I spend on the blaster as marriage insurance

OK! the front suspension is finished: Banshee shocks, completely rebuilt hubs and new lower brake cables. Next time through this is gonna br converted to Hydro too. (1st pic)

I finally got the Banshee rear carrier, axle and hubs ready to "swap in". I:I Then I hung the thing on the Blaster bolts in the swinger Whoa!! that's a lot of space to fill !!! :eek:

Just a few observations:(remaining pics)
1) Did I say WHOA that's a lot of space to fill!?!?!?
2) The clearance for the bolt heads to the sprocket and brake hubs is CLOSE but probably OK. My only concern on that score is that maintenance might be a pain in the a$$.
3) The Blaster's carrier bolts (and holes) are smaller than the Banshee's. After pushing things around quite a bit, I'm concerned that the Blaster swinger's mounting hole centers are a little different. My first thought was to just drill the holes larger on the swinger to match the hole sizes on the Banshee carrier. Not sure that'll work now and I don't like the slop. Will have to work something out here. Just a random thought; what about some sort of sleeve to take up the difference between the Blaster bolt size and the Banshee carrier's tube size? (Scratching head)
4) Still have to mount the sprocket and chain to set the side-side position and then make some spacer's b4 I commit to anything.

Attachments

• P1010006.jpg
    P1010006.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 277
  • P1010009.jpg
    P1010009.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 292
  • P1010004.jpg
    P1010004.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 297
  • P1010011.jpg
    P1010011.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 313
started out with blasting it, then hanging all new body panels, then going through the interior, now a motor swap, better trans to deal with the power, better rear end to handle the new power, now it needs suspension.....she'll be down a while, its still about 10-15k from being done

you didnt build this in the second floor apt did you? hope not 8-|

that's where i started it......but it got moved to a 1st floor apartment, and a really tight 3 season porch. right now its living in the back of my truck

looking good man, can't wait to see how you get that shee carrier working

Thanks Brandon, me either :-[ I just got the brake assy. in the mail yesterday (missing the pedal - oh well) So I loosely hung the sprocket and caliper to get a better feel for how things are gonna fit:

CarrierWithCaliperandSprocket.jpg

While looking at it I figured if I align the sprocket with the center of the rear chain guide, I could get a reasonably close L-R position for the carrier:

SprocketalignedwChainguide.jpg

So I'll just take measurements off of the gaps on either side of the carrier and the carrier mtg tabs and make my first set of spacers from this position:

CarrierSpacingw-CaliperandSprocket.jpg

You can see how much more space there is on the right than on the left. It bothered me at first but then I realized that the Blaster's swinger is offset to make room for the chain roller on the swinger pivot.

Things to Do:
1) Measure the gaps on either side of the carrier to make spacers
2) Measure the tube IDs on the carrier and the mounting bolt ODs to see what dims I'll need to make the filler sleeves (or bushings if they're available).
3) Test fit these all together to see if there'll be any interference problems through the range of chain adjustment on the carrier.
4) Get a Brake pedal so I can figure out what mods will be needed to mount the master cylinder and rezzi.

Last edited:
Things to Do:
C & D on the pic below. The bottom spaces are the same as the tops.
2) Measure the tube IDs on the carrier and the mounting bolt ODs to see what dims I'll need to make the filler sleeves.
A & B on the pic below. Gonna try to find a 12mm steel tube with a 1mm wall thickness to fill the gap between the Blaster bolt and the Banshee carrier. The bottom bolt is the same diameter on both the Blaster and the Banshee (10mm)

Measfromcarriertoswinger.jpg

3) Test fit these all together to see if there'll be any interference problems through the range of chain adjustment on the carrier.
4) Get a Brake pedal so I can figure out what mods will be needed to mount the master cylinder and rezzi.

Last edited:
OK, I found a piece of tubing that is exactly what I need to fill the gap between A & B in the picture above. It's 12mm OD, 10mm ID and is ~1 meter long costs $22 w shipping - reasonable. I could really use some suggestions for filling the gaps on either end of the carrier. Ideally, I need 4 steel "washers";

2 - 10mm ID, 30mm OD and 14mm thick
2 - 10mm ID, 30mm OD and 7-8mm thick

Anyone, please let me know if you got any ideas, cheapest is best :) I found a place that'll make the "washers" custom but they're pricey.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blasterdude27
wow nice pictures with measurements and all!

hey man, if you're looking for a brake pedal, i have an 88-02 pedal and a banshee pedal that are collecting dust...

Things to Do:
C & D on the pic below. The bottom spaces are the same as the tops.
2) Measure the tube IDs on the carrier and the mounting bolt ODs to see what dims I'll need to make the filler sleeves.
A & B on the pic below. Gonna try to find a 12mm steel tube with a 1mm wall thickness to fill the gap between the Blaster bolt and the Banshee carrier. The bottom bolt is the same diameter on both the Blaster and the Banshee (10mm)

Measfromcarriertoswinger.jpg

a) The left side spacing was actually 7.5mm. Turns out 7mm worth of spacers on the left and 14mm on the right work out pretty well.
b) The 12 mm tube fits nicely in the Banshee carrier's tube but is so snug on the pivot bolt that the bolt has to be perfectly straight to get it through the 12 mm tube.
c) the swing of the carrier for chain adjustment works nicely and you can get full range of motion and use of the chain adjuster screws

I was told that the Warrior's foot peg contained the pivot boss for it's brake pedal - so hoping to get lucky B) I got a hold of a warrior right side foot peg and pedal so I could just bolt it on I:I And like sooo many of my attempts at clubs when I was single.... didn't get that lucky :( . The warrior peg's mounting holes and pivot bolt have a completely incompatible geometry. So I'm working on a fabricated fix trying to make use of the pedals and pegs I have on hand.

that's pretty awesome man, i may have to look into doing something like this if i build another one...definitely cheaper than finding an 03+ blaster carrier or getting a RAD one

wow nice pictures with measurements and all!
Thanks! Too bad the camera just s#!t the bed. It might be a while b4 I can get some more up.

hey man, if you're looking for a brake pedal, i have an 88-02 pedal and a banshee pedal that are collecting dust...

Big thanks for the offer. Check my last update ^ (was writing it as your comment came in :) ) I have the existing Blaster pedal and the warrior pedal. I played around with them for a few hours last night and I'm going back outside right now to finish figuring out the geometry so I can marry the two. If the pedal on my Banshee looks like it'll be a better match, I may hit you up for yours. Thanks again bro