hub or axle splines???

Awk08

Administrator
Staff member
Technician
Jan 30, 2009
since doing my pipe, airbox, and some other go fast goodies, plus the added traction of these bandit rear tires.
i have noticed my rear hubs are getting worse and worse each ride, my left rear wheel actually has a good bit of wobble now ????
whats the more common problem, the splines in the hub, or the axle splines????

Probably the spindle nut has been overtightened and the threads are getting worn out which in turn lets the spindle be loose on the splines. This usually tears up both the hubs and axle splines.

no, mines really bad on the one side, so now i gotta decide, stock, banshee or aftermarket axle, i dont want it much wider though, i ride alot of tight trails with my bro's on bikes

its not just the bearings awk? the chain side would be the first ones to go. can you just pull the wheel and get a look at your splines?

Mine needs a complete rear assemble at this point.
I feel your pain. Hubs, axle, and bearings are shot!

my castle nut seems to come loose cause i keep loosing carter pins.. i dont know if thats the same issue ur having, but thats what happens to mine..

This is what I was talking about. It will wipe out both the axle and spline hubs.
Durablue had a axle at one time that was adjustable and didn't have splines. the hub actually bolted through the axle. I just don't know if they still make them. I ran one after I had the same problem.

This is what I was talking about. It will wipe out both the axle and spline hubs.
Durablue had a axle at one time that was adjustable and didn't have splines. the hub actually bolted through the axle. I just don't know if they still make them. I ran one after I had the same problem.
thats durablues premuin axle, i believe its the x33 axle, they still make em, ive heard of people have issues with the hubs working loose. if youre going to change axles i would go with a banshee axle. im sure a stock shee would fit some tight trails, plus it will only make your blaster more stable. as for your issue, its probly worn axle splines.

or, check and make sure your carrier bearings are still good. also make sure the castle nut is tight, and the cotter (not carter, haha) pin is long enough and holds it together tight.

i have brand new axle bearings with a grease zerk carrier, full of grease, the castle nut is or was tight, cotter pin is there, i do regular checks and maintenence all over, its just the hub moving, noy the whole axle, and a few of us have come to the conclusion that the axle has to be some hard ass sh*t, and that the hubs are a softer steel, i'm guessin just hub splines, quick $20 fix i hope, gonna pull it tomorrow and report back