Help me pick my suspension set up.

SalM

Aug 1, 2011
Hey guys, as you might now I'm completely tearing down my 04' Blaster. EVERYTHING!! And now its time I start gathering info and soon start ordering parts for my suspension, so far what I have for suspension is a +4 swinger and a G-force Extended axle. All that is left is 3 new shocks and from a-arms.

For you guys that do a bit of racing, jumps, trails hill climbs. What shocks are you running? I'm not looking to spend $1k on elka shocks etc, just shock set ups from other quads that work good.

I'm 6'1 220 lbs. My main thing is I want a good susupension, for when I do some races, and When I land on jumps my landing is a bit bouncy... How can Get rid of that and have less bounce so when I land I'm not jumping around trying to hold on.

I'm trying to go with a set up that doesnt have much fabbing. The 400ex shock is fine u just have to drill it out a bit and get the bushings and bolt from ken thats fine but any other ones we could run?

So my question is

What front shock set up should I run?
What rear shock should I run?
What a-arms should I buy?

Thanks in advanced guys. And stay tuned for my build thread :D

Used TRX250R works shocks are going for 100-200 used on ebay, even if it needs to be revalved for you it's still really cheap. You'll need to run +3 +1 a arms but it'll be smooth and wide.

you dont have to spend 1k on elkas unless you buy new. you can jump around on some of the yfz 450 forums and get a set of standard travel fox floats or some good elkas for half that price and then all you would need is a set of long travel arms. there are always guys on there looking to sell their standard travel to upgrade to long travel and sometimes you can get some really good deals. good suspension and cheap dont go hand in hand. you want the good stuff break out the wallet. i just posted a couple weeks ago off ebay a guy was selling a low hour elka elite rear shock for 250 obo. so deals can be had just gotta hold out.

I'm not gonna be cheap about it either you know what I'm saying if thats what you guys are inferring to. I'll spend upwards of $600-$700 on a suspension setup if its that worth it. I'm just getting opinions, but good suspensions can be had for cheap also like yfz 450 front shocks and new arms and a 400 ex rear shock...

Works are great but you get what you pay for, they'll need more maintenance than Elka's or Fox's
If you're going to be buying new, why not go straight to WorksPerformance.com and get them built for you.

yah wrocks are going for cheap. banshee front shocks work good and 400ex rear shocks work good. or get a complete yfz450r shocks front and bakc but have to do modifaction to fit and wider a arms. peps are going pretty cheap to.

a nice addition for the back would be a long travel extended swingarm and a good used 400ex rear shock.

I'm going with a +4 swinger, G-force extended axle, +3+1 front a-arms. 400EX Rear shock, yfz 450 front shocks. What do you guys think?

I'm going with a +4 swinger, G-force extended axle, +3+1 front a-arms. 400EX Rear shock, yfz 450 front shocks. What do you guys think?

that'll work good,
but the works fronts are better than the yfz's in my book, dual rate and built specifically for your weight and riding style
yfz'z are stockers made for the masses, at all weights and riding styles, be it a 14 yr old 90 lb.'r or a 300 lb adult < how can they perform best for both ????

Alright So i can look into Works fronts also. But what do you guys think about +4+1 front arms? And what brands do you guys reccommend?

What Brands or parts do you reccomend for the following parts?

Please copy and paste the following and answer what you guys think right after it.

+4 Swinger -
Extended Axle -
A-Arms -
Front Shocks -
Rear Shock -

i've only ever had the +3+1 asr's, they seem great, especially used for $125 on ebay

didnt read through the thread but.

1. get a good pair of dual rate non rezzy, works steelers that are set up for your weight.
2. get a trx 250r rear shock or a 400ex and kens bushings
3. depending where you ride, ball joints for mud and dirt and such, heims for sand.

balljoints are sealed with grease and keep all the nasty stuff out, heims will start to squeak after awhile in the mud.

i completly agree with the above post, although the trx250 shock i got for my sons was way too long and required a swinger mount relocation
the 400ex and 450r rears are direct replacements with kens bushings (the 450r requires cutting off the kicker side front plastics mount from the frame)
i'd still be running my 450r if i didnt get a steal on my works ultracross rear
and i dont have any problems with my asr heim joints, clean the bike when done riding, then hit them with some silicon based spray to lube them, no wd-40, it deteriorates plastics, which the hiem balls are captured in

check the weight these are set for, but heres a few fronts i found............

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/yama...ors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5645deb718

decent price for triple rezzies.......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BANS...ors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item336b1af7c6

make offers around $200 for these...........

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yama...ors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item56455d1d97

and these..............

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yama...ors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item56455d1d97

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright Guys I'm refreshing all my threads to gain even more info! REMINDER: THESE QUESTION ARE BEING ASKED FOR A 6FT1 230 LBS RIDE SO IF YOU COULD PLEASE ANSWER ACCORDING TO THAT. THANK YOU

Ok So questions.

1. Rezzies or No Rezzies?
2. 450 or 400ex Rear shock? Does the 450 need any modification?
3. What quad shocks fit in the fronts? (Like Banshee YFZ-450 etc..)
4. Will an aftermarket brand shock made for a different quad such as a banshee or yfz mount right up?
5.What from A-arms are good? I was reading about ASR +3+1 and those seem to be main goal right now.
6. What brand would you guys reccomend for shocks? Used or new doesn't matter as long as there is a good deal. Works,Elka,Fox any others?
7. What rear swingarm company do you reccommend?

Thank you all guys for all your help and stay tuned soon for the build ;)

I really like the front end setup you see in my sig. I'm 170lbs and got the Works front rezzie shocks you see valved for my weight. They do well, especially soaking up some big jumps on the MX track. Works shocks are a good value and the rezzies help them stay cooler. However, you really don't need rezzies unless you do a lot of jumping and/or hard riding in hot conditions (desert racing, etc.)

YFZ 450 shocks are also a nice upgrade, but you'll need long-travel A-arms (of any brand) to get them to fit properly. I'd stick with Works, Stage 1 or 2 Elkas, or Fox shocks for front suspensoin.

Those are ASR +3+1 standard-travel A-arms on my Blaster, BTW.

I have a stock rear shock now and it sucks. I've already got the bushing kit to mount the 400ex unit. Now all I have to do is find one.

Like AWK said, the 450r rear shock is a little tougher to mount than a 400ex unit, but they both fit with the bushing kit and work well. I'd choose based on whichever one you can get a better deal on.

Hope this helps!