Hello everyone!

Bostonian22

Apr 10, 2011
Taunton, MA
Hello,

I bought a blaster brand new back in 99 and was forced to sell it around 03. I've been itching to get another quad and I'm looking to pick up another blaster in the next few weeks. I've been reading this forum for a couple weeks and have already learned a lot and pretty much decided that I will in fact be looking to get another blaster.

Does anyone have any advice for me as to what to look for or watch out for when buying a used blaster?

Also, what year did they switch to a disc brake in the rear? I think I would like to go with that... Thoughts?

Thanks for the help and for letting me join. I look forward to learning a lot from all of you and reading all the old posts.

Welcome back Blaster Brutha!!!
Happy to hear you are ready to get back in it.

Tips to buying used:
Try to buy as stock as possible, unmolested, that way you can do your own thing as you move along.
Look for maybe just an exhaust mod, always good to get a pipe for free!!
Check frame/swing arm carefully for any cracks/damage, and avoid if so!!

Yes, as said, 2003 + have Hydraulic disc brakes front and rear, much better system. The Pre 2003 have drums up front and a mechanical disc in the rear, go for 2003 + if available. Check motor compression, should be above 115psi. Kicker should feel good and tight, clutch should have some tension during pull, avoid rust, really beat tires(street use), etc, etc.

Keep us posted on whatcha find, and welcome to BForum!! I:I

Thank you all for the warm welcome as well as the tips and advice.

I will keep you guys posted when I do find one and let you guys know what I got. In the mean time I will continue reading all the other posts and learning from all of you.

Welcome to the site fellow masshole!!!lol As said above try and get an 03 or newer.The brakes are much better.Take your time and do not rush getting one and you will find a good deal.They are around here all the time for good prices.

Welcome! But don't listen to Dually he likes Budlight! HAAAAAAAA! Seems like you have the advice you need!

OK...So I got my blaster!! I:I I think its going to need a little bit of work, which I don't mind doing and it will give me an oppertunity to learn a bit about the bike. In hindsight maybe I should have waited and paid a little more for a bike that was mint. What do you guys think? Was it a good deal?

03 red/black, fair condition, basically all stock - $900

I found it on craigslist and bought it from some local kid. He says he has had it for 3-4 years and never really done anything to it. Says its pretty much all stock except DG nerf bars, a twist throttle, and new rear tires (all of which is accurate from what I can tell). The frame seems to be in good shape along with the plastics. Its got a little minor surface rust on it (rear axle, chain, rims, exhaust) so I'm guessing it was sitting outside at some point. The rust isn't to bad and doesn't seem like its anything I can't take care of with a little time and some paint. I may need a new chain? Not sure, about that. I took it for a quick ride before buying and everything appears to be working fine. The rear brakes squeek when you step on them and really don't appear to work to well so maybe it needs new pads and/or rotor? I did a compression check and it was 110psi (which isn't great from what I read here?) so maybe I will be in need of a new top end at some point in the near future? I did notice a little bit of oil around the flange where the exhaust connects to the cylinder head but, I'm not sure if that is anything to be alarmed about.

Either way its a done deal and I will be reading all the old posts and trying to learn as much as I can from all of you. Can't wait to start riding! Oh and modding this thing up of course! :)

welcome to the site ! buying a fixer upper lets you get to know your quad and make it the way you want it!! thats a good price for a ridable blaster.

scuff the rear rotor with some 180 grit paper

110 comp is not great but ok

Hey Demo,
I'll be in search of new places and people to ride with all summer. I'll def keep in touch with you and let you know when I go and if I find a new good spot. You've got a real nice looking blaster and I would love to have a look at that thing in person and ask a few questions about it.

So, I'll definitely be in touch soon...

got any pics of this beast? 110lbs isnt to bad but a hone and new rings would really freshen it up good for around $50.

Hey Demo,
I'll be in search of new places and people to ride with all summer. I'll def keep in touch with you and let you know when I go and if I find a new good spot. You've got a real nice looking blaster and I would love to have a look at that thing in person and ask a few questions about it.

So, I'll definitely be in touch soon...

sounds good man. there aint many spots to ride in RI and its illegal to ride in this state period unless on private property with permission so when we ride we always gotta watch over our shoulders. i spend way more time modding my bike then riding it! im like tim taylor with that chevy in his garage from home improvement.
Keep me posted. we could def get together and ride over the summer :D and i'll be more than happy to answer any Qs u have