Gordon Jennings 1931-2000

best

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
www.glinx.com
I bought Gordon Jennings book "The Two-Stroke Tuner's Handbook" in 1976 to apply to my 1974 CR250 Elsinore. It seemed like rocket science back then, so many radical ideas that had been mostly secrets and rumours up until then. Gordon put figures and math to the theories, and made it possible for ordinary gearheads to improve the performance of their machines. I built a pipe for my old aircooled Elsinore and stuffed and ported it. Motocross improved rapidly in the next decade, with disk brakes, liquid cooling, and mono-shocks, but that Jennings inspired motor continued to trounce brand new 250 MX bikes (on the flat!) right up until 1986 when I sold it to a guy who could not believe how strong it was against his new CR250. He just HAD to have it and made me a ridiculous offer I could not refuse.

I didn't know much about Jennings other than his writings, but recently came across this obituary, which I thought I'd share:

Gordon Jennings 1931-2000
"no wrinkles on the inside"
by dean adams

Longtime motorcycle enthusiast and writer Gordon Jennings died yesterday at age 69. Jennings was a former editor of Cycle magazine, and known the world over for his concise, no-nonsense writing style and opinions. Jennings died after a battle with cancer.

Jennings is best known as the former editor of Cycle magazine, a position he held for many years, He worked at the magazine on and off for twenty years and was a prolific writer, stating that he'd written "a million" stories. He, and several others at the time really started to test motorcycles in a fashion others could understand, with hard data.

Jennings authored the 1973 book (The) Two-Stroke Tuner's Handbook, which is considered one of the best layman's resource materials for two-stroke engines; it is highly sought after by collectors and tuners alike.

Jennings had a natural love for all things mechanical. He raced motorcycles, flew planes, raced cars and more often than not wrote about those experiences in Cycle, Car and Driver and in other magazines. Throughout his career he was the technical editor at Road and Track, the editor of Car and Driver, the editor at Cycle and also the technical editor at Cycle. His experience led him to be an expert witness after he left publishing. Jennings never attended college.

It's not generally known or acknowledged, but Jennings was a pioneer of motorsports in the electronic media. In the very early 1990s Jennings and a group of notable colleagues (Steve Anderson, Kevin Cameron, etc.) started Wheelbase, a subscription based electronic magazine for motorcycle and car enthusiasts. It was essentially what we know know as a web site, produced before the majority of the world was aware the Internet existed. The project stopped in the mid-1990s.

Most recently he wrote a monthly column for Motorcyclist magazine.

Jennings wrote in the mid 1990s to a man who expressed to him his wish to be a writer, wondering what elements were needed to become one:

"On my 50th birthday, now long behind me, friends presented a cake that said, "Against all odds," which probably summed up my life fairly well. When you've been reported dead, twice, and none of your friends thought it necessary to check to see if the news was true, you have to figure you have been strolling a little close to the edge. Let me offer you some comfort about the accretion of years: If you live a long time and pay attention, you'll know a whole bunch of useful things; and you'll find, in time, that old go-fast guys have no wrinkles on the inside."

His funeral is today. (2000)

Godspeed Gordon.

a_Gordon_Jennings_2-stroke-book_small.jpg

Please use this thread to share links and information about him and his writings.

Steve

Good post man, it's interesting to see that not much has changed. He seems like he was an awesome guy...