froze up carb?

Dec 2, 2015
MN
Okay first i was riding on the 24th then i lost all power and it backfired so i ordered new reeds again i guess those "fancy" vito reeds suck so this time i got power reeds i put it all back together put a new plug in it still has kinda old gas but it SHOULD bo fine I've been kicking the living hell otta it and it hasn't fired a single time so i checked spark it was nice and blue the plug is wet but i noticed the gas wasn't moving so i took the line off the tank and tryed to blow it into the carb with the throttle in multiple positions and it didn't move at all like there's ice inside it somewhere or something clogging it so i tryed just a little bit of starting fluid and still nothing i know i got plenty of gas in my tank it comes out like nothing with the line off but its been like -20 or so here so I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas i don't really feel like rebuilding it I'm pretty sure it has good compression i will check that later just to make sure also my fuel petcock has a small leak when it sits so i was thinking maybe it just slowly froze up over a week period of time i was gonna try and heat the whole thing up to see if that helps but i don't really know if it would I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a froze carb before i was told when i got the wheeler it has like a cr125 carb but I'm not forsure

Last edited:
I live in Alaska and have had that issue happen before. Take carb off bring inside thaw and drain if you have compressed air use it to blow into carb. If that doesn't work then rebuild carb and figure out what's wrong.

Alright i will try that but to me i would think the starting fluid would get to the motor and at least fire for a sec but idk maybe its my top end like i said compression seems fine but i haven't checked it

Starter fluid not a good ideal find the problem. Or possible pulled crack it if u have to

if the float bowl is full of fuel, the floats will close the float valve to not allow any more fuel in, or air.
the throttle position has nothing to do with the amount of fuel in the bowl, only the float height setting does,
so actually, if the bowl was full of fuel when you tried blowing air into it, thats a good thing and the float valve is doing its job.

thats not to say that -20 degrees doesn't have sumthin frozen, especially with this ethanol fuel, which absorbs moisture and freezes up easier.

under 20/30 degrees F, buy a snowmobile,
under 0 degrees F, stay on the couch :)

a sheared flywheel key will still allow a good blue spark, just at the wrong time.
check it too

Alright so i brought the carb and filter in for 3 hrs took it apart blew everything out and ran outside and put it together in like 5 seconds then tryed to kick a couple times and it fired right up but then died after a minute then i kicked over 10 times and it started again for a min then died then it happened one more time and i said screw it at this point the temp was 2°f and my filter was already froze i guess i will just wait until summer to get it going again or at least a 30°F day to try again I'm just getting so annoyed with having nothing to drive and yea i know starting fluid with basically kill a smoker but i could care less i got a few extra parts laying around and i was almost thinking it could be that key because i had a problems where my kick starter would jam and i would have to take the cover off to redo it so i swaped that kick gear out with another i had from my extra bottom end and that problem hasn't came back yet so i guess my money will be going into my sled this summer if i don't blow up any of my other stuff up but idk those fancy timbersled kits look fun but i don't think they'd be worth my time and money

And i love riding my sled in like -35 even though everyone says you shouldn't but where i come from if it runs and drives drive the piss outta it until it gets f'ed up

i have had a hard time starting some 2 strokes when it was too cold out also.
when all was okay...for example
a yz125 and a blaster:)

the fuel petcock that leaks..there is a rubber gasket in there that you can replace
and also make sure the plate next to where you turn fuel on/off is straight,not bent from multiple on off switching/or for whatever reason it is bent:)

Yea my cr500 hates starting in anything under 45°f but i think that problem was from a clogged pilot jet at least it didn't help

I was think of pushing the blaster in my barn but those damn tom cats and they're piss hahaha but yea with my cr it was in cool summer mournings i would have problems with it not wanting to start lets just say my right leg got stronger but didn't feel good ever i don't think my buddys parents would appreciate a bike in there place but i could try and hide it inside

my experience with keeping a cr125 at a buddys house.

he took my mixed gas and replaced it with straight gas
BOOM blew my bike up:mad:...never againo_O
he told me eventually after words:confused:

That really blows did he redo ur top end for you i suppose not at least if it was any of my "friends" they'd say no ur machine sucks or something along them lines and they're both idiots when it comes to wrenching on stuff the one couldn't even put his air box back in his 93 skidoo formula plus from what i know it still isn't in and that's the only reason way he hasn't drove it hahaha i wonder why he's always wanting me to do all his work you'd think he would learn somewhere that's how i mainly learned the stuff i know trail and error

Yeap i checked spark again and i didn't have any so i looked at the stator and sure sh¡+ one of those coils or whatever on the plate the discharge one had a screw fall out and the screw rattled around and made everything look all nice and f'ed up the coil thing its self was rubbing on the inside and it created a situation where one min i would have spark the next i wouldn't that explains why i couldn't keep it running damn I'm happy i figured it out

Sorry i don't know most common names on that crap but oh well i can figure out pretty much anything just by looking i just don't have a mechanical vocab thanks to u all for trying to help me