from bad to worse, i need a beer.

2strokesmoke

Jul 13, 2009
scotland
so im having trouble still getting the blaster started.
ive covered everything, the only things i can think of it being are a dodgy coil breaking down on load, so ive ordered one ill try it if it comes tomorrow.
possibly dodgy fuel, but its mixxed right and its fresh fuel from the pump. the oil has been in my garage for a while but i doubt its that? its had the lid on i dont think 2 stroke goes bad does it?
anyway, im just hoping my worst fears arent confirmed, all these black drips coming out the silencer, i filled the tranny up with oil i put a bit over 650ml in there probably nearer 700ml [it was bone dry mind] and its just below half way up the window at the side. if that should be at the top by now that oil isnt anywhere else, it must be leaking into my crankcase.
ive had the reed assembly out and dipped paer down as far as i can into the crancase there nothing there but im not sure if im going down enough.
sure that would explain why it wont start.... lets hope its the coil.
to top it off the upholsterer called saying my n-style seat cover wont fit.
let me sum that up. i know have a seat with no cover on, and n-style seatcover with loads of holes in and doesnt fit. and the guys wants £20 from me for his time to try and fit it.
oh well back to the drawing board. via the beer in the fridge.:(

the oil level should be just fine. if it was bone dry it takes more than 650ml to fill it correctly. the oil coming out of the silencer sounds like premix thats getting through unburnt. so you're either not getting enough spark or waaay too much fuel

its an f7 pipe and silencer. vforce 3s. porting and head milled, oko 30mm with 38 or 39 pilot, needle on top clip [tried all] air screw 1.5 turns [tried 1/2 to 2] 165 main [i know its rich but still should fire up] ngk platinum plug. outerwears lid.
everything is new or rebuilt i cant confirm the condition of these. coil. cdi unit, stator.
im thinking the stator is ok its giving me a spark and its not popping and banging so i think the timing is ok.
when cdi units fail can they do this? i was under the impression, it either gives a spark or it doesnt.
i can say the coil is giving me a spark but it could be just cause its in fresh air when i check it, not under pressure/load in the cylinder.

didnt think so. oil is oil right.
the thing thats making me think it could be tranny oil is that it does try to start but then dies, throttle position irrelevant. its like once the motor picks up speed its kicking all the oil up sitting in the crank case and spitting it through the transfer ports killing the spark, then spittng out the back onto my garage floor!
is that plausible or have i been inhaling fuel vapour and unburt premix for too long?

oh yeah and 305 you were right i took one look at the cover and thought no way, turns out even an upholsterer cant fit it so that must be the wrong one.

yeah i know and its very thin and stinks of petrol but im just total confused why it wont run.
next step tie it to the car and drag it down the road see if it starts then, if not at least dragging it down the road will make me feel a hell of a lot better.:-/

Hmm... I was gonna say to try a new spark but guess you tried. It does sound like oil coming out of the exhaust. What if you tried to give it a little less gas and oil by changing the jets, just to try it out. Maybe it is just getting too much gas/oil and it chokes itself because it's not all burning up. Is your plug getting messy after you try to start it? Try to drag start it though, that might do the trick. It might just need to be run to clean it up a little inside as well. Honestly not sure what is going on.

put a new plug in, make sure its jetted right. you check all the little things like the spark plug boot is on all the way all the little stuff

Is it possible that the float is sticking and flooding the motor out, or if you are trying to start it with the choke on. Try taking the plug out and using compressed air and blow the cylinder out. Then clean the plug, or run a fresh one and see what that does.

i have the nstyle gripper seat cover, thing is an absolute pain to get on and wont sit right on the seat at first.after taking it to the pro's and riding on it for a while, it sits perfectly now.

no it doesnt start yb but when i kick it it fires a few times like its trying to go then it dies kick it again and you get exactly the same thing ,ive checked the carb is not flooding it, the plug is getting fouled up when i try and start it, its wet with the same oily petrol sh*t thats dripping from the silencer. what i did was when i was checking to see if there was oil in the crank case i sat there for 1o mins with the hot air gun down the intake port and the spark plug out. i got it hot enough so you could feel the cylinder was hot. i quickly bolted the reed cage back on and put the carb on wiped the plug and still its the same.
you would swear it was realy rich and flooding its self but then with the engine warm [heating it] and kicking it like 100 times firing a few times each time. you would think then it would overcome it and run.
i realy think its overfueling and it cant clear it, im guna try and get someone to tow me.