Forum newbie, engine rebuild

Topher9545

May 6, 2015
Hi guys, I joined solely for the knowledgeable people I see on here. :D Anyways, I picked up a 96 that someone took the time to replace all the body and wearable parts on the frame and paint up nice for the wonderful price of $300. Only problem is someone must not have broken it in right after they bored it and the piston is pretty screwed. So I imagine there's probably metal shavings in the case so I'm going to build it back up. I've been riding sportsmans as far back as I can remember and I'm in no means a hardcore rider, just wanted a weekend toy. I'm just a broke college kid so I'm not made of money so basically my questions are

1. Can I get away with the $130 piston and cylinder kits on eBay for my purposes?
2. Same thing with clutch kit?
3. And it seems someone has jetted the carb (maybe incorrectly and caused the piston failure?) kit for that as well?
4. I've got gaskets and seals for the lower

Thanks again guys!

If you buy the ebay cheap cylinder kits u have to send it out right away to get bored and new piston and port champhering. Its not really worth it if the cylinder u have has a bore left . I would suggest to crack open the bottom end and tear down completely to get any metal fragments out.
clutch kits r pretty much the same just some r heavy duty with heavy duty springs.
take the bowl off the bottom of the carb off and u will c the main jet. Unscrew it and tell us what number it says and what mods u have to the quad along with elevation and temperature of where u ride.
if that base gasket for the cylinder is green throw it out

Thanks murph. I'll check the jet when I get home but I believe it's a 240 (does that sound right?) The cylinder on it now is OEM and it's .30 over I believe. It's pretty rusty but not pitted. I know a guy that owns a machine shop that will bore it out for me. Think it'll be ok to bore and use? Should I go .40 over? I can also post pics of the cylinder when I get out of work. Also, I live in northern NY Tug Hill plateau, which is 250 feet above sea level. Quad other than engine is all stock I THINK.

Thanks murph. I'll check the jet when I get home but I believe it's a 240 (does that sound right?) The cylinder on it now is OEM and it's .30 over I believe. It's pretty rusty but not pitted. I know a guy that owns a machine shop that will bore it out for me. Think it'll be ok to bore and use? Should I go .40 over? I can also post pics of the cylinder when I get out of work. Also, I live in northern NY Tug Hill plateau, which is 250 feet above sea level. Quad other than engine is all stock I THINK.

While nice to know a machinist, unless he has the proper equipment to hone it the last few hundred thou, pass.
Plus, the ports have to be champhered properly.

I would recommend taking it to a machinist to have the bore measured first, then he should be able to tell you how much he thinks hes gonna have to take off to clean up the cylinder. Then order your correct piston size form there.

Reactions: MURPH
Yes guys my friend is a professional machinist. He owns a shop called Blockhead in NY. I think I'll just spend the extra $ on ordering a wiseco rebuild kit and using the cylinder I have. I took a look at the main jet and it's a 240. Is that what should be there? If not what do you guys recommend?

Stock is 220, 230 depending on year. IF it has more than the snorkle removed it's way to small/lean.

While you have it apart, do some basic porting, will wake it right up. Look for vids by Ken. U-tube
Your machinist
MUST have new piston in hand to hone the last few thou for proper fit. If he doesn't chamfer the ports, you have to. After machining wash the cyl until a white rag comes out white. After drying, IMEDIATLEY wipe it down with oil, preferably 2s oil, but any thing is better than nothing.

Thanks Lary. What should the jet be then? Should I just order the stock jets when I rebuild the carb? I am unsure if the snorkel is still there haven't even checked.

One more question. Does the 96 have a cdi box or just a coil? If so where should it be located? Thanks.

all blasters have a CDI box under the hood on the shifter side.
88-02 is a 5 wire CDI and seperate 3 wire TORS box located just above it
03+ has the CDI and TORS combined in one box, same location under the hood

IMG_2192.JPG
IMG_2193.JPG

all blasters have a CDI box under the hood on the shifter side.
88-02 is a 5 wire CDI and seperate 3 wire TORS box located just above it
03+ has the CDI and TORS combined in one box, same location under the hood

Would this be them Awk?

Thanks a lot man! What would you recommend for the main jet? Right now it has a 240 and some say this is to lean? Should I re tun it to stock?

Thanks a lot man! What would you recommend for the main jet? Right now it has a 240 and some say this is to lean? Should I re tun it to stock?

get it back together first, you may add some things till then..... pipe. filter, ect.
list all mods, then we'll talk jetting.

I'm gonna put it back together stock

depending on what air filter ?, airbox lid on/off ?, stock pipe.....I'd buy 250/240/230
start with the 250 and plug chop down to perfection, just to be on the safe side (rich)

Haha okay... Can you suggest an airfilter, box lid on or off and corresponding jet?

nobody can tell you an exact jet for your exact bike even with the exact mods, you must plug chop and determine for yourself, and I'm suggesting rich to start, I'd rather you foul a plug than fry your shiz..........

properly oiled UNI filter, airbox lid off, start with a 260 and work down with plug chops to confirm

Alright, I'll put it together and let you know. However, if the stock main jet is 230 (correct?) and I'm putting it all back together stock why should I put a 250 in? Does taking the airbox lid off change the fuel to air ratio enough to re jet that much? Should I also leave the needle clip in the stock position? (2nd slot down?)