? for those that use 33-35mm carbs on their Blasters

99LRDblaster

Jan 25, 2011
Delphos/Columbus, Ohio
I'm just curious to hear what engine setup you are running with your carb from air box, to engine, to exhaust, and then how does the carb perform for you?....ease, torquey, lots of top end power, etc. What jetting settings are you at? I only ask because I'm interested in getting a larger carb and would be interested where the best place to pick one up at is and what is the best value. I presume the 34PJ is the least expensive, although I've heard some on and off reports of it having idle problems due to difficulty in tuning. At any rate, this will help me get a better idea of what to run with my setup. I:I

My motor Mods:
HWD PD#3 Port and Polish(most aggressive trail/MX port job)
Head milled .30 and rechambered
Bored .050 over with Wiseco Pro Lite Forged Piston
Stock 26mm carb bored and rifled to 30mm
Boyesen Dual Stage Carbon Fiber Reeds on ported stock cage
Uni Filter with open air box
LRD pipe and silencer

Last edited:
my mods are in my sig and i use a 34mmpj, some guys have issues but mine starts firsk kick every time and will idle forever without problem. i can lift teh front end whenever so bottom end is no problem but it really shines on topend :)

same as results as noobs above, but... i do use cable tesion for my idle, i do not like the "add more fuel choke knob idle" the 34pj's have
jetting is..... 45 pilot, 155 main in summer, 162 for cooler weather, and a "dgh" needle, i believe most guys using it have had to change the needle < which brought my bottom end back to life, now it pulls hard from bottom to
my belief is ..... 30mm and under for stock cylinders,
32mm and up for ported cylinders and 35mm plus for the 240 bbk's

same as results as noobs above, but... i do use cable tesion for my idle, i do not like the "add more fuel choke knob idle" the 34pj's have
jetting is..... 45 pilot, 155 main in summer, 162 for cooler weather, and a "dgh" needle, i believe most guys using it have had to change the needle < which brought my bottom end back to life, now it pulls hard from bottom to
my belief is ..... 30mm and under for stock cylinders,
32mm and up for ported cylinders and 35mm plus for the 240 bbk's

oh yeah forgot that part, my needle has also been changed but i think mines a CEL i would have to recheck that to be sure. im running a 55 pilot and a 162 main. its definately rich, no doubt about it but i have never fouled a plug so i leave it just to be safe. for draggin i usually drop it down to about a 155 -152 area for more instant zing. also with those jets i never use the choke, just kick it lol

what set up are you running right now??? because a 34 might be to big for your motor...

My motor Mods:
HWD PD#3 Port and Polish
Head milled .30 and rechambered
Bored .050 over with Wiseco Pro Lite Forged Piston
Stock 26mm carb bored and rifled to 30mm
Boyesen Dual Stage Carbon Fiber Reeds on ported stock cage
Uni Filter with open air box
LRD pipe and silencer

I think the 34mm should be fine as I've seen a couple people with similar mods to mine run it and they love it. I'm guessing....don't really know, the optimal setup is running a 33PWK, but they are pretty difficult to come by compared to the 34-35mm and typically cost more than both from what I've seen simply because they are not as many of them. On a stock bore, I've only seen a couple people run 35PWKs, but they seemed pretty happy with it and didn't have any problems. After a little research, I guess a couple people have mic'ed the 34PJ and it's actually 34.8mm, sooooo it's almost a 35mm as is(assuming the 35mm is 35.0mm). As a side note, what is the difference between the regular 35PWK and the 35PWK Air Stryker?....where do you purchase jetting kits at?

Here is my dilemma:
1: My blaster's performance isn't up to par with other's with equivalent mods...hypothesizing it's the carb being too small as everything else is A-OK.
2: I want to pick up a carb for <$100 and would prefer it be a PWK since they are easier to work with from a tuning perspective, but I can quickly get over that if i get a good deal on a 34PJ.....since I have to figure out what to do with the reed manifold boot, purchase a UNI clamp on pod, a couple tubes, and make up an air deflector box for a little protection.
3: I don't want to run into the issue of strolling across a good deal with a 34-35mm and then finding out it's way too big...while I don't think that will happen, I like to play it safe and get a second opinion on everything and go off the basis of other people's experiences. I:I

30 mil is gonna work alot better on the bottom.. alot more snap..which is better for mx

It's torquey through 1-3 gears, but my blaster can't even beat a stock 400ex, so I think it's time to at least try a carb swap. :-[ I'm presuming with as aggressive as the porting is, that it needs the added air flow as I am running a pretty heavy jet setup as it is right now...can't remember exactly what it is, but I might go check later. I kind of just have a feeling the top end porting with the midrange pipe and all is somewhat negated and just lying dormant behind the lack of air flow. :(

well like you say its worth a try, i got my 34pj for 60 shipped and it was polished. i got it from a guy that was running 2 of them on his banshee :eek: :eek:

Mods in my sig. I run a 35 pwk A/S on a stock/stroked/ported cylinder. The 35 might be a tad big if you're looking for low end power, my blasty is all mid/top and requires a bit of clutch work to stay in the power. I've run 34-36 PJ's on other machines and I don't like them. They're much harder to tune and the idle adjust setup is pretty crappy. They aren't a bad carb, but the pwk's are just that much nicer imo. The 33mm pwk is probably ideal, but they are pretty pricey.

Thanks for the info guys....great help. Ideally, I was looking for a 33PWK, but I strolled across a deal on a 35 PWK that was too good to pass up so I jumped on it. Might be a while before I get everything figured out and once I fab up a balancer tube, uni pod, outerwears, and dirt shield, I'll let everybody know what I get in terms of results. I have to start somewhere for jetting though. Anybody know where you can get jet kits for a decent price for the 35PWK?

Don't buy a kit, it's a waste of money. Just buy a range of individual mains and a couple pilots. Either Jetsrus.com or your local dealer if thier prices aren't insane. My dealer has Keihin mains for like 3 bucks a piece and pilots for about 5. Right now with the 35 pwk I have a 42 pilot and a 152 main. If I were you I'd get 35-45 pilots and 138-148 mains and go from there.