Ever wanted to paint your rims?

Paulie B

Jan 17, 2008
SOMD
Here's the scoop, I have 2 sets of different rims with tires mounted for my Banshee build.
The front set my good friend Scott gave me which are very used gold stock shee rims- times are tight here, free is good thanks Scottie!
A while ago I bought a set of Ohtsu tires off Ebay for the Blasty.
They came mounted on stock silver Banshee rims for $73.
Well I never used them on the Blasty but they are perfect for the Banshee I have now.
I want them all to be gold which fits my oldschool theme Banshee build perfect.
I'm not taking the tires off, I'm not spending hours masking them either.
Clean your rims BY HAND with soap, water, and a sponge,
then wipe them down with a wax, oil, grease, remover.
I like to use a sponge for that too since it leaves no lint.
Let the air out of them, push down on the bead and run index cards around them.
Paint away with zero overspray.
I'll let the pics tell the whole story B)

Stock gold fronts
PB110002.jpg

Stock silver rears
PB190008-2.jpg

Clean and index cards put in
PB110003.jpg

Sprayed
PB190019.jpg

Dry and done!
PB110015.jpg

PB110011.jpg

Last edited:
good idea with the index cards. i just finished spraying my set black. didn't use any backing though. got a little overspray on the tires, but they're not that great anyway.

nice!! iv always used duct tape... is that rusatoleum paint?? may not hold up good to the elements, dirt debree and what not,

if it dont hold up get your self a can of duplicolor oldsmobile rocket gold. the engine enamal holds up better

looks good guess i did mine the hard way then, did you do any sanding?
The sponge I used to clean them has a brillo pad one one side, other then that no I didn't do any sanding.
nice man, never thought to do that, i might just go with gold rims on my build, we will see. have some green!

and are u gunna clear coat em?
No Im not going to clear them. If a rock hits the rim it's going to chip it with the clear or not.

some people use tape and newspaper.
also did you not do the back?
You know I'm doing both sides :)

nice!! iv always used duct tape... is that rusatoleum paint?? may not hold up good to the elements, dirt debree and what not,

if it dont hold up get your self a can of duplicolor oldsmobile rocket gold. the engine enamal holds up better
Yeah fed it's rustoleum gold in the 'spray any angle' can lol
I actually tested a bunch of different golds and this one was the best although I didn't try that duplicolor.....yet :p

yea the duplicolor is good stuff. i used painter tape when i painted my rims....kinda a pain to get it just right. i like your idea ill try that next time lol

i did my first set of stock rims black, a few coats, then a bunch of clear coats with dunlop decals under the last few coats of clear, the rears are still holding up good, even thru a tire change and are on my sons bike now, but i destroyed the fronts, the inner part held up good, but the edges were chpped of course cause the whole rim lip was banged up good
i like the index card trick, but i did it the hard way and used the wide masking tape, then a razor to trim around the rim

dunlop.jpg

i did my first set of stock rims black, a few coats, then a bunch of clear coats with dunlop decals under the last few coats of clear, the rears are still holding up good, even thru a tire change and are on my sons bike now, but i destroyed the fronts, the inner part held up good, but the edges were chpped of course cause the whole rim lip was banged up good
i like the index card trick, but i did it the hard way and used the wide masking tape, then a razor to trim around the rim

Looks good Awk! Yeah I don't expect these to hold up any better.
Typically you would want anodizing, chrome, or polish on rims.
That's not an option in this case so I did what I had to do ;)

Reactions: AcidRayn
/\/\/\ i'm sure when they're on the shee, they will match the rest of the magic you do

they'll look just like mine after a ride or two.lol

j/k, good idea and they look great, and that blaster is hot in the classic yam theme.

i was gonna do the fronts on brians blaster, as they are steel and new wheels aint in the budget, figure

they will hold up better still he gets used to the wider ride. i guess i'll do the lt's too, they just look like crap

some green for your gold

painting rims is just fine as long as prepped good, i personnaly like black wheels so its easy for me, vht epoxy paint.. satin black FTW!!! sh*t holds up amazing, i think i had 2 marks in my old 200x rims and that was from pickin a fight with a tree