Do I need new piston and rings?

Sep 22, 2015
Last weekend after a few minutes of riding I came to a stop and at idling my engine rpm went sky high. I cut it off let it cool offfor a while. I kicked it over and it backfired one time! Kicked it again and it started fine and did the same thing with the idle so I took it home.

Checked reeds
Checked spark plug
Fuel is clean and mixed correctly

Did a leak down test and found I was loosing way to much pressure way too fast.
Sprayed the engine down and couldn't find a leak. Took the stator off and checked that seal no leaks.
Listened to the crank vent tube and didn't hear no air coming from there.
So I figured I'll take the jug off and inspect the piston and things and to see if I had oil setting in the bottom off it. This is what I saw
IMG_3306.JPG
IMG_3307.JPG
IMG_3308.JPG
IMG_3309.JPG
IMG_3310.JPG

Should I be looking for a new piston and ring set?

I see no scuffing on the piston
ring ends on the location pins ?
what is/was the compression ?

since you have it apart, measure piston to cylinder clearence like this with feeler gauges
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/how-to-measure-your-cylinder-diy.25767/

compression and piston clearence will tell you if you need a new piston/bore.

you'll need at least a new base gasket now and clean off all of that old one from the cases/cylinder bottom
a new head gasket or anneal the one you have
new rings and a quick hone wouldn't hurt if all else checks out
upon reassembly, leakdown test again and find the leak if there is one.

I see no scuffing on the piston
ring ends on the location pins ?
what is/was the compression ?

since you have it apart, measure piston to cylinder clearence like this with feeler gauges
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/how-to-measure-your-cylinder-diy.25767/

compression and piston clearence will tell you if you need a new piston/bore.

you'll need at least a new base gasket now and clean off all of that old one from the cases/cylinder bottom
a new head gasket or anneal the one you have
new rings and a quick hone wouldn't hurt if all else checks out
upon reassembly, leakdown test again and find the leak if there is one.

I already had a base gasket on hand. Didn't get a chance to use a feeler gauge but I got everything bolted up and I'm still having a air leak. So I'm going to take the clutch cover off and look for a leak on that side.

Well I got the clutch side off and was able to spray it down. I've done replaced all seals and that collar behind the gear last year for the same leak. sh*t sucks,
IMG_3322.JPG
But I also have air coming from the trans side thru the oil holes. Thinking it's time for a rebuild and a big bore