Dial-a-Jet...Any good?

Blaner

Your Friendly South African Ambassador
Mar 26, 2008
East London, South Africa
Who uses a Dial-A-Jet system?

I read this article: http://www.thunderproducts.com/dial_a_jet.htm

and while i see the application purpose and need, im not entirely convinced, perhaps I do not fully understand how it works...I get the whole purpose of light fuel mix and that it irons out lean spots.

I do not like how it suggests you need to jet leanly for it to function...risky?

any thought?

wrong link but you only jet leanly because the power jet will be adding fuel. takes a bit of work to get one setup properly but once you do there is no need to change jets for temp change or altitude in most cases.

I read up a little on the dial a jet and to me it seems a pretty pointless mod, unless you are changing altitudes very often.
One thing i was not keen about that it introduces unfiltered air into the system.

link fixed, sorry, pasted without copying :)

its not a powerjet...it explicitaly states it is different to a power jet in that powerjets deliver raw, dense fuel, whereas dial a jet aims to deliver light, atomised fuel faster

The model I read about had a tube which added air to the fuel mix which they recommended you located in a position under the hood. Or have I been reading the wrong thing. It had no provision for a filter on it.

Yup , wrong article, barking up the wrong tree again.

Last edited:
That snorkel is open to atmosphere which will contain heaps of dust particles, at least where we ride, thats the main reason i steered away from it.

i havent seen the one that is open to the air. the ones i have seen introduce fuel like the one in my avatar :)

they take fuel from the float bowl and after about half throttle starts to draw it into the air stream. i am kindof skeptical on the whole "flatten out dead spots" thing. seems to me like if you jet your bike perfectly for say a hot day at the mountaintop then as the temps cool off and you drop to sea level you start opening up the power jet as neededand possibly air screw as well and you wont have to change any jets. like i said it takes a little bit of practice to get one setup properly and isnt for the 1st timer but once you got it right then it can be usefull.

the dial-a-jet does use a tube to up under the hood, and there is a small filter on the end of that tube, not sure where it shows/states that, possibly an accessory, but they do have one, as i remember from my extensive read on it a while back

it's original purpose was for sleds which could experince mad elevation and temp chages within hours, and sounds to work great for that application.
as it possibly could here, especially during this time of year, i could easily see 30-40 degree temp changes from mid day to after sunset

now if they only made dail-a-clothing also, i would ride on into the 20/30's degree nights, hahaaa

I used to run one on the Blasty when it was still on gas.
I'd sell it for $40 + the ride if someone wants it.

DSCF3683.jpg

I used to run one on the Blasty when it was still on gas.
I'd sell it for $40 + the ride if someone wants it.

i'm giving that offer a serious consideration, just to experiment with it !!!!
i'll be in touch later this week