Decent trail quad?

Try to not make this a anti 4 stroke thing, but i found a 300ex for $650. It needs a new swing arm and axle. That would give me a reason to go with a bit longer swing arm and a wider axle. Here is a pic of it.
3n23kf3oaZZZZZZZZZ92g751bb7fd7c981083.jpg

What do you guys think about it?

Don't look to shabby, probably not to bad of a deal. Whats wrong with the swinger?

He said that the whole swinger, axle, axle bearings, axle carrier, etc.. are shot. The splines are stripped on the axle, unrepairable.

Ive heard they are underpowered, but I can live with it for a good deal. Hell, maybe i can fix it and trade it on a 250r or something.

Here is his description of it.

300 ex runs good but needs rear swing arm and axle.the axle and swing are bad and unrepairable, the splines are striped out, and where welded to the hubs. the axle bearing houseing is cracked,and it cant be fixed. plastic not to bad has been repaired, but is there. so if your looking for a good motor or parts this is a good atv, runs fine, sold as is

If your looking at something like a 300ex, why not just get a blaster? 300ex's and blaster's are almost the same size and the blaster has a better power to weight ratio!

That 300ex would probally make you a great little trail bike! but im sure if you just settle down and dont jump to getting one you'll find a 400 for around $1000 if not less within the next 2 months or so! Once the majority of people spend up their tax returns and stuff's not selling again, and with all the lay offs, the prices will be right back down again! I'd be wise if i were you and wait! you'll be able to get a bigger quad that is trail ready and dont need work! But on the other hand i may have some 250x parts that will work for that 300! lol

I wish i could find a 400 ex for 1000. Right now the cheapest i can get one here is 2000, ive only seen 1 blaster recently near me for under 1000, and there really isnt anything else around here. I wouldnt be able to buy anything for at least a week since i wont be home this week or weekend, so ill see what pops up.

im telling you, just wait, i know it sucks and its hard to do but wait and i bet you'll be thankful you did! the prices will come down bro!

im not anti 4 stroke one bit my first wheeler was a 4 poke.. and i loved it with all its 15 hp or glory!!! 85 honda atc 200x 200cc 4 stroke 5 speed manual full suspension with adjustable resivuar rear shock! loved it and it was soo nice on trails and the ice and dirt.. thinkin about gettin another one just for bombing around

hell honestly i would trade my blaster for a 300ex just cuz there fairly comfy for trail riding

oh and looks like that 250r is missing stuff... looks like radiator is gone and hoses, foot pegs shifter rear brake lever

I thought it didnt look right, which is why i kept asking questions. Ill see what next week brings, and ill possibly try to get the 300ex. I can always trade it or sell it and get something i want. The biggest obstacle right now is dad.

I wont be buying anything for at least a week, but so far ive found 2 other 250rs, not TRXs though. I found a Tecate 4 250r, for 900. It has a FMF exhaust, but no carb. It looks to be in decent shape.

I also found a 87 LT250r in good shape, that i dont think needs any work for 800. Which one of the two would you choose for trails?

I wont be buying anything for at least a week, but so far ive found 2 other 250rs, not TRXs though. I found a Tecate 4 250r, for 900. It has a FMF exhaust, but no carb. It looks to be in decent shape.

I also found a 87 LT250r in good shape, that i dont think needs any work for 800. Which one of the two would you choose for trails?

the tecate sounds scetchy, they might of messed it up and ended up snatching the carb off of it for another bike! you gotta watch that kinda thing!

in all honesty.. teceta and lt250r are fast machines as they were built for racing like the trx250r.. i know personally the lt250r is a ssiese machine.. a friend of mine has blowin his up 3 TIMES this winter.. teceta is anice machine and very fast but getting harder to find parts.. hell tell ya what come to wi and you can take my blaster home for a cool grand