Decent trail quad?

JD3020

Oct 30, 2008
Farmersville, Ohio
I posted this on another site because i want some input on it, but please dont start telling me to get a Blaster.

Ive been looking for a decent quad of my own for a while, and since we have a Foreman, Gator, new Ranger, and possibly getting a older Foreman i want a sport quad. I had found a Warrior that i liked, but appeared to be beat on then i never got a email back so i didnt get it.

Now i found a 1986 TRX 250r for 1000. It has a 88 motor bored .20 over, and a aftermarket exhaust. It looks to be in decent shape. I think its all stock except the motor, and Renthal bars. For spring break we are heading to West Virginia riding, and ill be needing my own quad. We will have our Ranger(mom and dad), our Foreman(my brother),and possibly rent or buy a old foreman for my brothers wife. So that means i wont have a quad to ride. So would the 250r be something that i could take out there, and ride on the trails and not have to worry to much about it, or is it something that i would have to leave home? I havent talked to dad about it, but i am hoping to be able to buy it.

Whats your opinion on the 250r, and about me taking it out and riding with our Foremans for long periods of time?

There good quads, but not a trail quad. There more for racing. I would look into a warrior, or a 300 or 400ex

Id like to get a 400ex, but they go for 800-2000 more then what the 250r is. I found a beat up warrior that i liked, but the guy hasnt emailed me back about it. And most 250rs here are modded out going for about 2500 at the cheapest.

Also,would a .20 over bore effect the reliability much on it also? I was hoping to get something stock so i wouldnt have to worry to much about reliability.

hey JD if the engine is bored, it means it once blew,so yea the realibility is hurt,once you open a motor the realibility aint the same

well it depends on how it was put back together if it was put back together right and they took there time it should last a while and if u are geting a warrior or even that 250r check the frame plz lol my brother got boned on a warrior he got it and he was rideing it and i caught the crack in the frame but it was to late it broke the frame a cracked the case.

hey JD if the engine is bored, it means it once blew,so yea the realibility is hurt,once you open a motor the realibility aint the same

thats not totally true.....ive bored and rebuilt my top-end 3 times and it's still as reliable as stock

As of right now its the only quad im looking at, and ive been talking to the guy for a while about it. I found a new case on ebay, and it was 295 bucks, so if i get it ill look into getting it welded. All i can do now is wait until dad gets home and talk to home.

Theres nothing magical about how they put motors together at the factory. As long as you take your time and dont cut corners reliability should be the same if not better. Because as a factory worker I can tell you that corners are often cut for the sake of making production numbers look good. Probably not so much with the hondas as the japanese take great pride in there work. But in general I feel more confedent in my moter after I put it back together because I know its right. Now on to the point 250r's ROCK!!!

Well, im not getting it. No title, and the vin tab has been punched out. The guy said he buys and sells quads, and parts them out. I wouldnt really be surprised if it was stolen. Onto my search for a quad.

I dont really have anything against blasters, its just hard to find a decent cheap one. And if im gonna spend over 1200 bucks i want something a little bigger.