cutting reed stops off

1998blaster

Oct 6, 2009
i've heard of some people cutting off the reed stops on there reeds.does this really work...??? how much would i gain on a stock motor with just a aftermarket pipe and k&n filter..????

I thought the reeds were designed (size and thickness) to have a specific resonant frequency to work best in a given RPM range for a specific application.
And I thought the reed stops would help as a fail safe or something to "keep it where it needs to be" or something along those lines. The removal of the stop could make the reed travel too far and close just a split second too late or even cause premature failure. Or not offer max low or top end power(not sure).
But I am just thinking out loud here. More asking than telling.

pretty close a reed stop does have a purpose and thats a close analogy, if you want to see what happens pry them open and run it, it should have some hi rpm issues. And I'm refering to stock reed petals

when i got my "aktive" reeds, the directions were for a bunch of applications, so i left the stops off, 6th gear wide open, it just shut down, come to find out it's called "high speed flutter" thats what the stops prevent, apperently they make like a butterfly and just flutter, instead of open and closing

i was thinking they worked more like a govenor or a restricker plate..so are you saying that it will work great on take off and low end..but... at top speed it will shut down..???

yeah mine had good throttle response, but shut down at wot, i limped home and put them back in, been ok since then
i would say it would be easier to break the pedals without the stop too!

come to find out it's called "high speed flutter" thats what the stops prevent, apperently they make like a butterfly and just flutter, instead of open and closing

The reed stop pretty much stops the reed from opening too far and fatiguing the material. Most aftermarket reeds require the removal of the stops because they are made with better materials. Call the MFG of your reeds if you are unsure. If you have stock reeds with stops, leave them on.

As for fluttering, It's more like floating. The read at a certain RPM will not close all the way. The stiffer the reed the more RPM at the cost of low end. That's why they have 2 stage reeds. You can kind of think of it like the intake valve and spring on a 4 stroke. Stiffer springs=higher RPM
This is why even a perfectly balanced 2 stroke motor with reeds will not rev much over 11-11.5K If you want any more you got to go with a piston port or rotary valve.

most if not all carbon fiber reeds you gotta keep the stops.. carbon reeds are brittle and personally i think they suck... but thats a whole different story.. for a fiberglass reed most aftermarket companies say to remove them.. boysen i know says to reamove the stops and they send a new screw plate with the reed petals.. i have removed them with stock reeds and not had an issue..

well i was gonna take them off and put them in a vise and cut them right at base where the screws are and file the edges down good and put them back on so the screws and the base will still be on the reed. .