Crack in Plastic

00blaster200

Dec 11, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Ok, so I'v had this crack in my rear plastic for a while. It causes the whole rear right fender to sag down a little. I have already tried plastic epoxies and they didn't work to fix it. I finally used krazy-glue, and it worked till i leaned on the plastic and it broke again. So anyone know of any good glues/cements that work on atv plastics?
Photo0096.jpg

(The crack is right above the grab bar on the right fender)

you could drill hole on it each side of the break and zip tie it
but if not i have some purple fenders i would sell you and you could paint

i don't really want to have anything showing. We have an atc110 that has some kind of cement or glue on the fender and it hardened like its part of the plastic.

You could get a heat gun and melt a wire tie across the bottom side of the crack (kinda like welding with plastic). I have seen people do that before and it held up well. I have done it on my rc cars before.

JB weld is more of a metal patching aid. Not sure if it works on plastics.

I have a crack on the front of my girls 250ex that I did some work on. Here's how....

First I made some semi-deep scratches a touch before the beginning of the crack on both sides of the fender (top & bottom) to stop the crack from continuing to travel any further. I made the direction of my scratches go in a perpendicular direction to the existing crack. For example, you're basically making the top line of this "T", but leave a little space between your current crack and these new scratches.

Next I used a marine adhesive made by 3M that's called "5200" to strengthen up the underside of the crack and provide stability. 5200 is virtually impossible to remove once it's fully dried, which can take 1 week if you don't get the fast cure stuff. I used a little sandpaper to scuff the area I wanted to apply the 5200 to and then cleaned it with rubbing alcohol prior to application. Once the 5200 is out of the tube and on the fender, you can use a wet finger to move it around and/or smooth out the finish.

Because it sounds like you need more fender support than I did, my suggestion to you would be:

1. do the scratches mentioned above
2. then do the wire-tie weld BB mentioned
3. then do the 5200 reinforcement

Let us know which way you eventually end up going and how it holds up over a little time.

BTW, the crack in our 250ex hasn't been a problem since my fix 4 months ago and we've trailered and ridden at least a dozen times since then.

wat is jb weld wat is jb weldX( how the f*#% do you not know wat jb weld is. wat was you droped on your head or something when you was a baby:-/ :) im just kidding lmao

drill a cuple 1/8in hole on both sides of the crack and put quick steel on it make shure push it though the holes conecting each sides, same idea as the zip ties but does look better

JB Weld is a 2 part glue that is great!!!!! U can use it on almost anything, try it out! U can get it at any auto parts shop or wollyworld lol

i used tiger hair on my first quad when i wrecked it and it was colder than hell so the fenders didnt flex they just cracked worked out great!