cr250r blaster engine swap HELP!!!!

2stroke4life7

Aug 15, 2012
okay hey everyone im new to this forum but anyway down to the point im buying a blaster frame with no engine in plans to build my own bad ass 4 wheeler the engine i have for the 4 wheeler is a 1980 honda cr250r elsinore engine which as most people know is a rare engine air cooled 5 speed and it has the chain on the right side so i was wondering if anybody had any ideas on how hard it will be modifactions i shud put on the engine if it will be fast how i go about making a sprocket on the right side instead of left please help!!

You might be able to bolt the carrier into the swingarm backwords BUT.. due to the way the frame and swingarm are setup I think your chain will end up running smack into the right side frame tube. The swingarm and carrier both have an off-set to get that chain/sprocket in the correct spot.

A jack shaft would probably be the easiest. I've seen a few ATC250R Missile conversion's and that's how they get the drive chain out far enough to clear the rear tire.

i think im just going to try and mount the axle in backwards and modify the frame so the chain wont hit and remount the disc brakes so i believe i got that covered does anyone know if its worth performance wise using the elsinore enigne

Do you put put around or run the living hell out of a bike? I'll trade you a 400EX motor that needs a couple parts for that Elsinore engine.

what do you mean ruin it? how will putting it on a blaster ruin it?

after all the hacking to get that classic motor into the blaster it would be alot easier to just use a blaster motor. your going to have a hard time getting that right hand drive to work in a blaster frame. sell/trade the honda for a blaster motor and tweak that. you'd be surprised.

It's just that by the time you rearrange everything to fit, its going to end up being a chopped frame and a motor thats going to be hard to use. I'd just sell that Elsinore motor and buy a nice newer LC PV motor.

Having done a swap, I have formed some opinions:
1) it is a lot more work than you think it will be.
2) It has to have a purpose, trail, drag, dunes, track or whatever, and do it better.
3) it has to out do both a modified Blaster or the original quad/bike
4) welding on the frame is to be avoided, cracks form with stress
5) it has to have as good a gearbox ratios as the Blaster to be ridable.

My KTM 250 I tripled my hp, but gave up that excellent Blaster gearbox ratios.

Your Cr250 is only about double the hp of a stock Blaster, which seems to be attainable on the Blaster for about $100 work (head, port, jet).

As for a Banshee motor in a Blaster, what does that gain? Maybe 30 lbs lighter for a poorer chassis?

Most of the MX engines don't have great gear ratios, but are ridable and thrilling.
The DT200 cylinder swap is instant doubling of power and a powervalve if you can wire it, and can keep the gear ratios.

^ I agree it was a lot more work than I thought it would be swapping an engine and mine was much simpler of a swap than yours. As far as welding weakening the frame I think it would depend on how it was welded. I had my mount tig welded which takes much longer but doesn't heat the metal as much as far as I hear. The stock welds don't look to be tig welded. If they are, they are real sloppy.

Last edited:
^ I agree it was a lot more work that I thought it would be swapping an engine and mine was much simpler of a swap than yours. As far as welding weakening the frame I think it would depend on how it was welded. I had my mount tig welded which takes much longer but doesn't heat the metal as much as far as I hear. The stock welds don't look to be tig welded. If they are, they are real sloppy.

Stock welds are MIG. Welding on a frame WILL weaken it because the reheating makes it brittle. You just have to be careful.

okay so everyone doesnt think i shud do the swap? i mean i have plenty of time and potential i i love 4 wheelers and i want an awesome one of a kind bad ass 4 wheeler

I was just remember something because of this thread,back in the day a buddy o mine had a honda cr480,thought it was european, the kickstart was on the wrong side,He rode it once,it scared the hell out of him,he sold it for,get this,400bux.nice shape too.
Now i think about it,it was a cr480r elsinore engine.Wish ida known he was sellin it i woulda bought it,they type i am i never sell anything, i would still have it,oh well.

You do what u want i say,keep the engine,keep the original bike it came from,do the swap,you can always change it back,just don't ever get rid of it,it will always go up in value.Bikes are meant to be ridden,do it i say.

haha hell yea datz wut i wanted to wear and btw i do still have the original bike and all parts except a few things i could put it back together its just it will cost alot and iv been riding a cr125r for a while now and i think id rather have a 4 wheeler cuz u kan have alot mroe fun but u cant get a 4 wheeler with an engine that will compete to a 250 unless u get a 250r or a banshee and their lyke a fuken million dollars lol so y not build my own bad ass one of a kind 4 wheeler no one else has with the good looks of the blaster but the power of the elsinore i will be creating a beast and im 100% sure no one else will have what i have:) so anyone got any ideas about it once i start ill keep everyone posted

Find an YZ250 engine and save yourself trouble and hate mail. Back in the day my uncles built the first 250 2-stroke trike with a 185S and a Yamaha IT250 (I think IT may have web DT) and that only took them one night. But this is a completely different story and if you have the rest of the bike fix it. Or trade me for this 400EX motor I have that needs about 100 bucks worth of parts to be a running motor. Also, think about how hard it will be to find parts for that Elsinore when you blow it up or something.

And btw, banshee's are NOT comparable to 250R's. The only 250 a banshee could hope to be around is a 100% stock T4.

also im parting out my running 1987 honda cr125r had top end rebuilt few months ago runs like a beast im selling everything off it or the whole thing no parts sold yet so just hmu if you want to buy anything