Could A Bad Stator Affect Timing?

mtngirls

Feb 10, 2008
My quad backfired and sheared off the flywheel key. When it did it really scored the rotor. I then replaced the rotor and installed a new key. After I put it all back together I tried starting her up. She started but ran sluggish then backfired and died. It would sound like it was trying to start but sometimes when I kicked it the lever kicked back up at me with a lot of force. I then started looking at electrical..I switched out the cdi, coil and run switch, nothing helped. I then pulled the rotor back off and started looking at the stator. Could it be causing the problems. It is stock so I don't thing the timing can be changed. Should I replace the whole thing or just the individual parts ie pulser or charge coil? I just don't know where to go next I think it must be a timing problem but not sure what to do.

Try a new plug scroll down and read the thread low reading. Dave had a ignition problem he was trying everything and all it needed was the spark plug.

Sadly I changed the plug and it didn't matter. Is there a way to check the bits on the stator? Anyone know how and have the specs.

The values for the stator should be in the repair manual, there is probably one on this forum somewhere. It's easy to check if you follow the instructions. I'd say it could be your problem if your flywheel came off.

the bike will run fine without the stator, do you still have the tors? since the stator doesnt work i would go with the adjustible timing plate from ricky stator, the 75w, on ebay its nice but $100

Dude..

No, it won't run at all without the stator. There are two coils involved on the stator plate the values are in the manual listed in the DYI section. Real easy to check. The thing to check is spark. If you have good spark, the coil for running is fine and if it's stock the timing is fine.

I have been corrected on terms here on a couple occaisions. The rotor is the flywheel. I use the terms interchange wise. It's the big ass hub that runs around the "stator" plate and the coils attached to it.

It's a pretty basic set up. If it's a stock plate and coils, you can't have timing off. That said, the other component in timing is the flywheel ( I call it the rotor, too). If it is a stock one, once keyed into place the timing is static and and can't be changed. By the parts that are there. If you have a Ricky or other type of plate or hot coils or something new, it's not as perfect. It is however a pretty solid set up. The Ricky allows travel of the timing, an advance of timing. The two I have played with will work where ever you set them, can't be killed by over adjusting. So probably isn't the plate, check the coil, if it ain't the coil on the plate.

Hang on, check the manual. Rather than going through the check, just look it up. You actually checke most of the whole system. There is a good series in what to check and all the values in the manual. Randelator has the good manual in the DYI section. Just run through it and post up what you got. You may have a mechanical issue, like a seal, or crack.

Give a run down of the values, condition of the parts and you should get a ton of help.

A