compact pickups

Quadrider10

Dec 18, 2011
New Jersey
www.youtube.com
so im selling my quad, and buying a truck so i can then buy a 250r or 450, and resumeing racing... if that makes sense.

so first off what are your thoughts on ford ranger trucks, and/or mazda truck?

i found both of those on cl for fairly cheap. something i can afford. dissreguarding the condition its in, how are they/ how realible?

also what are some other small compact pickups ou there?

and keep in mind. its gonna be a first truck/car since im only 15. but still dont want a pos that wont get me around and to tracks.

Last edited:
Ford Ranger, 95 is best year, get 2 wheel drive, stick shift 2.3 liter

Best gas mileage and very reliable, my dad has almost 290xxx on his, and my brother just got one

Ford Ranger, 95 is best year, get 2 wheel drive, stick shift 2.3 liter

Best gas mileage and very reliable, my dad has almost 290xxx on his, and my brother just got one

i was looking into a 4x4 for the reason of that we get about 3' of snow here.

ford= ewww
mazda= ewwwwwwwwwwwwww
89 toyota 4x4=yes!

i saw one for 2.5k and the rest for 10k.... so i think something was seriously wrong with it...

rangers are reliable (have had 3 in our family) never get an automatic though, always go with the 5 speeds. 2wd/4wd doesnt matter unless you got snow/muddy trails to get through. etc.

you could try an s10 (05+are called colorado i think)
uh, the older gmc ones are sonomas i think.

i remember my dads old s10. 80 something i think. with a 454 in it...haha.

as far as the mazda/nissan goes. i think theyre reliable. never actually had one though.

i was looking into a 4x4 for the reason of that we get about 3' of snow here.

i saw one for 2.5k and the rest for 10k.... so i think something was seriously wrong with it...

up in mn. we get 6-10 each year, my friends 2wd plowed through it no problem, although throw a couple bricks in back for traction, youll be just fine.

Ford ranger FTW!

I have two 99's and they are awesome! You can get one like my little one for cheap, I got mine for $1200. Also after 98 you don't have to deal with the twin i beam suspension.

Time to whore a couple pics lol!

C360_2012-07-28-16-29-14-2-1.jpg

IMAG0053.jpg

DSCI0153.jpg

I had a '96 s10, sold it with 227xxx miles and its still running around. Heres the one I drive now.
005-2.jpg

Rangers are a good investment. I had a 1996 2wd Ranger for my first truck. It had the 2.3 engine and 5 speed manual tranny. I learned to drive stick in that truck, and I would still have it had I not hit a patch of ice and wrecked it back in 2009. :(

I liked my Ranger for general hauling, and it was geared pretty well for around-town and freeway driving. I will say the 2.3 engine is a PITA to change spark plugs on, but its reliable as an anvil and puts out....reasonable....power.

I like S10's, too, but get one with a 4.3 V-6 if you can afford it. The 2.2 straight 4 is a disappointment in my book. We have an S10 work truck that has the 2.2 engine, and the shop's driver pulls a 10' trailer with it, sometimes hauling two riding mowers at once!! But this is dangerous with that small of an engine. To get moving with that kind of load, you have to wind it up, slip the clutch, and be patient. The 2.2 doesn't have enough power to tow safely. A 4.3, on the other hand, puts out almost 200 hp and will MOVE. My full-size Silverado 1500 with a modded 4.3 and manual tranny will pull 3 ATV's (2 on a trailer and one in the bed) with power to spare.

i have an 02 ranger with the 4.0 and i hate it. its auto which sucks. i get like 10mpg which is horrible for a small truck. id rather atleast have a full size truck like a dodge with the 360 and get 8 mpg then have a little ranger and still only get 10mpg

i have an 02 ranger with the 4.0 and i hate it. its auto which sucks. i get like 10mpg which is horrible for a small truck. id rather atleast have a full size truck like a dodge with the 360 and get 8 mpg then have a little ranger and still only get 10mpg

My 2wd get's like 23 in the city and 30 or so on the highway. My 3.0 4x4 get's atleast around sixteen driving it hard like i do. You sure you don't have a problem with yours? 10 seems pretty bad. I can totally agree with a full size getting better gas milelage lol. If my 4x4 had a v8 I think I would get way better gas mileage.

sick! im probs gonna go with eaither a ranger or mazda. i want 4x4 just cause i like to have it there, and mom wont let me get it if it dosent.... :(
i want a manual, but idk if i want a manual as being my first truck.... seems like a bad idea at first. idk cl will tell

but thanks for all the entries. ima look all them up...

my ranger is lifted and has thornbirds on it so that probably effects the gas mileage. go with a manual for sure. better gas mileage plus if your ever in an emergency or something youll know how to drive stick if you have to. if you dont get a manual atleast find someone who has one and practice driving it. i learned to drive stick when i was 14 plus its more fun than auto

my ranger is lifted and has thornbirds on it so that probably effects the gas mileage. go with a manual for sure. better gas mileage plus if your ever in an emergency or something youll know how to drive stick if you have to. if you dont get a manual atleast find someone who has one and practice driving it. i learned to drive stick when i was 14 plus its more fun than auto

like i said i want it, just dont think it will be smartest choice at first.... lol i know how to drive manual.... yea u know. and yea better control and traction, mpg.... i keep telling my mom that, but she dosent belive me.

like i said i want it, just dont think it will be smartest choice at first.... lol i know how to drive manual.... yea u know. and yea better control and traction, mpg.... i keep telling my mom that, but she dosent belive me.

manual on a quad is different than a truck. auto is okay but i just get pissed when im going up a hill or something and my auto trans is in too high of a gear and wont accelerate. its just annoying