chrome powdercoating

shaky

Oct 1, 2008
moline, il
i work for a company that pc's a lot of parts for john deere. The other day in the paint room i ran across chrome powder paint .Was wondering if any has had any chrome powdercoating done and how does it look getting ready to paint my blasty chrome and the plastics black with some parts pc'd skyblue for highlights

The chrome powder looks great but most will need a clear over them for protection. It will look like aluminium after that.

i ws told by supervisor that the powder we have is a high silicone content for a high shine if so shouldnt that be enough without clearcoating

It might be that different powders require different things such as top coats. I get all of my colors from Caswell. Their chrome requires the top coating for UV protection and dulls down the color somewhat but the clear holds up great.

What I've done also is to topcoat the chrome with a candy color, it really pops the color out.

It might be that different powders require different things such as top coats. I get all of my colors from Caswell. Their chrome requires the top coating for UV protection and dulls down the color somewhat but the clear holds up great.

What I've done also is to topcoat the chrome with a candy color, it really pops the color out.

good idea i never looked at it like that .what paint do u use for topcoating . so i can just pc everything chrome the use the blue candy for a topcoat on what i want highlighted or painted blues and clearcoat it using a rattle can . what do u think

I get my chrome powder from Columbia Coatings and they also need a top coat such as a candy, or a clear.

They make a very bright clear coat which protects the chrome base, and "brings out the shine".

Here are a few pics of Chrome powder coat.

CCchromeonrightjpg2.jpg

CCchromeonright.jpg

EWChrome.jpg

And my Chrome work.
1226984110.jpg

stuff5.jpg

I get my chrome powder from Columbia Coatings and they also need a top coat such as a candy, or a clear.

They make a very bright clear coat which protects the chrome base, and "brings out the shine".

Here are a few pics of Chrome powder coat.

CCchromeonrightjpg2.jpg

CCchromeonright.jpg

EWChrome.jpg

And my Chrome work.
1226984110.jpg

stuff5.jpg

what type of clear did you use . was that a liquid clear or a powder paint clear btw thise parts look good . im actually using the powder from work . being a cheap ass also doing the sandblasting at work if they only knew what they are paying me to do

Thanks for the info i checked at work and we have the clear in stock as well. Since I've been there i haven't had the chance to use the chrome and clear. I do now lololol . I will be starting this build after the first of the year gotta get all new bearings

tims...... that is fantastic PCing if i do say so myself.. this thread should bring you more business :-D

I will definately post pis of the whole build from start to finish. I firgure if i can do showroom quality hoods and cabs for john deere no reason for my blasty to look nasty. Thats damn good work you are doing too

what is powercoating? i mean i know it's painting, but why is it called powder coating exactly? Thanks

powdercoating is a process where a paint in powder form is electrostatically applied to a part and then baked in a oven to cure the paint. Powdercoating is more durable than automotive finishes and is less resistant to chipping and scratches than conventional painting. And if done correctly will last 10x longer than automotive paint.imo