Carburator trouble

Ar.blaster.boy

Dec 31, 2011
Arkansas
i have a 1999 yamaha blaster i got for free. it was blown so i honed the cylinder and put a reed in it. now that i got it running it wont idle unless the choke is on. whenever i turn the choke off it dies. but whenever i rev it up it seems like its bogging down and not getting enough gas. anybody got any ideas of what it can be and how i can fix it. it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

I think what you mean by "put a reed in it" is you got new reeds

You can try adjusting the idle screw that is on top of the Throttle Over Ride System unit on top of the carb. If that doesnt work, check your pilot jet. Any modifications to it?

First thing to do is take the carb all apart. Clean out all the passage ways real good with carb cleaner and compressed air. Make sure you get the main and pilot jet to. I would do a compression test and leakdown test to check condition of the motor. After you get the carb back together and on, I would also do a plug chop to check the jetting

explain to us what exactly you did/had done, when you say you "honed it"
whats the compression ???
pass a leakdown test ???
is the tors deleted ???
you sure the reeds are good ???
confirm it has good (new) fuel flow to the carb
clean the carb and check/set the float level
change the plug to a new b8es

Time to clean the Carb. You have something plugged inside. Just buy a can of carb cleaner take it apart and blow all the holes to make sure nothing is blocking the airways and put it back together and you should be ready to roll.
jmorrison

explain to us what exactly you did/had done, when you say you "honed it"
whats the compression ???
pass a leakdown test ???
is the tors deleted ???
you sure the reeds are good ???
confirm it has good (new) fuel flow to the carb
clean the carb and check/set the float level
change the plug to a new b8es

BR8ES..... is the factory one.... i looked it up in the manual that other day

BR8ES..... is the factory one.... i looked it up in the manual that other day

glad you brought that up, as a quick look in my downloadable manual here.....

http://www.rydindirty.com/blastermanual.pdf

on page 44 it calls for a "D8ES" for the US. and a "DP8ES" for canada and africa
misprint ???? we all know that "D" is wrong

a quick ebay search will result in both B8ES and BR8ES plugs

and the general consensus on here is to run the "B8ES" not the "BR8ES"
the "R" is just a resistor plug, and has to do with less radio interference,
and anything with a resistor involved reduces voltage and possibly the spark too ???

the NGK website calls for the "B8ES" for our blasters .....................

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/part_finder/atvs/step4.asp?id=737&type=reg

heres NGK's explaination of a resistor plug, and it's uses...........

FAQs - Spark Plugs
Q: When should I use a resistor spark plug?
A: NGK "R" or resistor spark plugs use a 5k ohm ceramic resistor in the spark plug to suppress ignition noise generated during sparking.
NGK strongly recommends using resistor spark plugs in any vehicle that uses on-board computer systems to monitor or control engine performance. This is because resistor spark plugs reduce electromagnetic interference with on-board electronics.
They are also recommended on any vehicle that has other on-board electronic systems such as engine-management computers, two-way radios, GPS systems, depth finders or whenever recommended by the manufacturer.
In fact, using a non-resistor plug in certain applications can actually cause the engine to suffer undesirable side effects such as an erratic idle, high-rpm misfire, engine run-on, power drop off at certain rpm levels and abnormal combustion.

on page 44 it calls for a "D8ES" for the US. and a "DP8ES" for canada and africa

and anything with a resistor involved reduces voltage and possibly the spark too ???

FAQs - Spark Plugs
A: NGK "R" or resistor spark plugs use a 5k ohm ceramic resistor in the spark plug to suppress ignition noise generated during sparking.
NGK strongly recommends using resistor spark plugs in any vehicle that uses on-board computer systems to monitor or control engine performance. This is because resistor spark plugs reduce electromagnetic interference with on-board electronics.
They are also recommended on any vehicle that has other on-board electronic systems such as engine-management computers, two-way radios, GPS systems, depth finders or whenever recommended by the manufacturer.
In fact, using a non-resistor plug in certain applications can actually cause the engine to suffer undesirable side effects such as an erratic idle, high-rpm misfire, engine run-on, power drop off at certain rpm levels and abnormal combustion.

huh thats weird.... i dident even know that there were resistors in spark plugs.... i looked it up in the yamaha manual, and on page 107, it says br8es... guess it is a missprint... now ima switch to B8ES or E3

FAQs - Spark Plugs

ahhh thats y.... i looked on the ngk website, and anything from 06-01 uses BR8ES and anything from 2000 and below uses B8ES.... so no misprint... and i have an 01

i too have an '01, and run a non resistor plug B8ES

the misprint is in the downloadable manual floating around here,
it calls for a "D" instead of the "B"

ohh.... what do u think of the Iridium Plug... it too has an R in the number, but will it be better than the standard B8ES?

i had an iridium plug in my motor when i sent it to ken oconnor for work, he returned it without a plug in it, when asked where my $10 plug was, he replied "in the garbage, where it belongs" hahahaaa
i don't believe anyone has proven any other plug has given us any gains at all, just stick with the B8ES

i had an iridium plug in my motor when i sent it to ken oconnor for work, he returned it without a plug in it, when asked where my $10 plug was, he replied "in the garbage, where it belongs" hahahaaa
i don't believe anyone has proven any other plug has given us any gains at all, just stick with the B8ES

haha way to throw 10$ in the garbage haha. yea i think ur rite :D

awk i would have said weres my 10 dollar refund off the bill for the work yo uhad done lmao..

oh, don't worry i got way more than my $10 worth, hahahaa
now lets get back to this mans troubles