Cable Rear Brakes. "How to make them work"

I have a 2001 model that I am restoring. I posted I was having a problem with the rear brakes locking up and not releasing. I do not believe that you have to change the cable to a shorty cable if your cable is working fine and sliding smooth... I put the the Lever assembly in cleaner for a few days Cleaned it completely. Then I could see a plate between the washers and seen that there were a few Roller bearings missing.... You could see when you put pressure on the washers and tried to spin it. It would not be smooth... I ordered a new Brake lever Set _ Yamaha Part# 2XJ-25726-01-00 _ $ 81.45 I did decide to go with the shorty cable. Put it all together , New Pads, The rubber bushing in the Caliper (that holds The inner thinner brake pad), Greased everything.

The Brakes work GREAT!
I hope this helps someone.....

Reactions: Larry's Shee
Is it a problem for other people for the cable not to reach the brake calipher & where it’s needed to be positioned ?

What. Is the cable too short? Do you have an extended swing arm
I’m not sure , but it does look like it from photos i’ve looked up. But yes the cable doesn’t reach completely thru to the back inside slot the calipher is positioned in

I’m not sure , but it does look like it from photos i’ve looked up. But yes the cable doesn’t reach completely thru to the back inside slot the calipher is positioned in
Are you replacing the rear cable? If so how does the length match up with old cable.
Assuming there was an old cable.

& i just discovered from the previous owner that the back part is from a yamaha banshee. but i looked up the banshee rear brake cables & the ends look like they wouldn’t attach to the brake at the foot.

& i just discovered from the previous owner that the back part is from a yamaha banshee. but i looked up the banshee rear brake cables & the ends look like they wouldn’t attach to the brake at the foot.
Does the caliper bolt up on the axle carrier?
They may have changed the whole axle carrier. Which i believe is setup for hydraulic brakes?

Have you giving any thought about. Converting to hydraulic rear brakes?
There is some information on here.
Is your cable routed correctly?