Blaster idles and revs fine in neutral but when it gets put into gear dies

hwk11222

Apr 5, 2020
Hey all i recently bought a Blaster, it’s a 1989 frame with a 2006 engine on it. And I’m new to two strokes so this might be something simple but looking for help. The top end was shot did the rebuild everything went smooth and right now it idles in neutral perfectly and can rev it no problem. However once it is put into gear it dies pretty quickly can’t get too far. I completely drained the gas and flushed it before i even tried to start it, cleaned the carb had it completely apart, let the engine break in with heat cycles before even trying to ride it, and running it 32:1. The guy I bought it from says it has a pretty new clutch in it (he’s somewhat of a family friend so 95% sure he’s not talking crap but you never know). The only thing i noticed while rebuilding is that the reed was kinda bent up and broke so could that be the problem? I already have one on the way either way. Or could it even be the air/fuel screw needing adjustment? The only other thing i could think of is that the TORS is malfunctioning could it cut out the throttle once it gets put into gear? Other than that no idea what it could be would appreciate the help. (Forgot to add that it was running before i rebuilt it just had extremely low compression and it would go into gear and ride not great but would pull it’s own weight)

Last edited:
Hey all i recently bought a Blaster, it’s a 1989 frame with a 2006 engine on it. And I’m new to two strokes so this might be something simple but looking for help. The top end was shot did the rebuild everything went smooth and right now it idles in neutral perfectly and can rev it no problem. However once it is put into gear it dies pretty quickly can’t get too far. I completely drained the gas and flushed it before i even tried to start it, cleaned the carb had it completely apart, let the engine break in with heat cycles before even trying to ride it, and running it 32:1. The guy I bought it from says it has a pretty new clutch in it (he’s somewhat of a family friend so 95% sure he’s not talking crap but you never know). The only thing i noticed while rebuilding is that the reed was kinda bent up and broke so could that be the problem? I already have one on the way either way. Or could it even be the air/fuel screw needing adjustment? The only other thing i could think of is that the TORS is malfunctioning could it cut out the throttle once it gets put into gear? Other than that no idea what it could be would appreciate the help. (Forgot to add that it was running before i rebuilt it just had extremely low compression and it would go into gear and ride not great but would pull it’s own weight)
What did you use for the rebuild? Did you have your cylinder bored?new piston? Install your new reeds with new gaskets and tourqed to the right spec tightening in criss cross patternt (important not to over tighten) or you can have an air leak at intake.fix your known problem(reeds) first before going any farther.

What did you use for the rebuild? Did you have your cylinder bored?new piston? Install your new reeds with new gaskets and tourqed to the right spec tightening in criss cross patternt (important not to over tighten) or you can have an air leak at intake.fix your known problem(reeds) first before going any farther.
I just used the kit the guy recommended to me came with new cylinder and piston etc. I’m pretty certain it is the reeds though at this point because i was doing some more reading and it has trouble starting which is another effect of bad reeds, seems like the “high rpm” reeds are in working condition because if you rev it high enough it will go into gear and drive i thibk the messes up reeds were for the low rpm scale.

I just used the kit the guy recommended to me came with new cylinder and piston etc. I’m pretty certain it is the reeds though at this point because i was doing some more reading and it has trouble starting which is another effect of bad reeds, seems like the “high rpm” reeds are in working condition because if you rev it high enough it will go into gear and drive i thibk the messes up reeds were for the low rpm scale.
definitely put the reeds in if bad