Blaster for 450 class?

BlackStar

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
Im from a motocross background. Raced for 20yrs. Anyway decide to get a quad and bought a blaster. Ive been having a blast on it. Decided I'd like to try my hand at racing quads now. Was going to sell the blaster for a 450, but after riding my buddies 450, I prefer the lightweight flickable feel of the blaster. Obviously a blaster is way out motored by 450's. So, I thought a ported 72mm topend with big carb and watercooled head might do the trick. Anyone here race their blaster in the 450 class? Im either going to build my motor or swap to a late model yz250. Would prefer to stick with the blaster base just due to ease.

i believe 245 stroker races with the 450s but his is pretty built
I would say if you want to keep up with the 450s get a 240 kit and a +3 stroker then talk to angus kennedy at kennedy powersports have him port it.
He is making some sickly great power with blasters

there's a guy who put a yz250f into a blaster and it looked pretty clean. with a good ported top end and a stroker crank, you may be able to be competitive. as you already know from your experience, gotta get the suspension dialed in. you may be able to out ride some of those guys as well

Yes, suspension is what Im working on now. Ive got a swinger, arms and reworked yfz450 shocks on the way. Motor wise, Ive ported the cylinder, added toomey exhaust, .5 reed spacer, tors eliminator, k&N, etc. It runs tons better, but I know I'll still be out motored.

It would be like bringing a knife to a gun fight but anything is possible.
Def get a mid range port on that 240 and hope the track is short with lots of twists.

At the track that I've run, the start straight is about 200' and I can hang and out run most of the modded 450's all day long. Since the blaster turns so much easier I've found myself stuck behind them going through the corners. If you wanna run with them and keep your blaster motor, your going to need to mod the motor quite abit but it is possible and do-able.

I'm all for kicking a 450's ass on a little blaster.... but lets be real, by the time you've made it fast enough and handle well enough you could have bought 2 450s! You will be out handled each time and have a though time keeping up.... Not trying to discurage you but just buy a 450 throw a pipe and some good tires on it and be done. Out of the box they have good shocks and are plenty wide so those can be upgraded after you start doing good.

I'm all for kicking a 450's ass on a little blaster.... but lets be real, by the time you've made it fast enough and handle well enough you could have bought 2 450s! You will be out handled each time and have a though time keeping up.... Not trying to discurage you but just buy a 450 throw a pipe and some good tires on it and be done. Out of the box they have good shocks and are plenty wide so those can be upgraded after you start doing good.

this is the truth i could have bought 2 450s with what i have spent all together with fixing and upgrading and what i paid for my blaster.all together i got 6100 in it from fixing it when it breaks and upgrading

just buy a trx250r and stay 2 stroke
On a worn out 20 year old bike? your going to spend just as much making it good for today's racing and still be lagging behind. Todays tracks are built for 4strokes so your always going to be at a disadvantage.

Don't get me wrong... I'm a die hard 2stroker... but for todays standers of racing you really need a 450 4stroke to race.

On a worn out 20 year old bike? your going to spend just as much making it good for today's racing and still be lagging behind. Todays tracks are built for 4strokes so your always going to be at a disadvantage.

Don't get me wrong... I'm a die hard 2stroker... but for todays standers of racing you really need a 450 4stroke to race.

thats not true............

Bought 2 450's? Maybe if you buy everything new and pay retail for everything. As far as not being competitive on a blaster, you need to remember that for mx racing about 75% of being good is rider skill and 25% is your machine. If you suck on a blaster and don't do any of the jumps then a $9000.00 450 isn't going to help you.
As far as the trx250r remark that was made. Fact is, nothing will beat a good rider on an mx built r. Thats why they outlawed the trx on the national level otherwise all the guys would still be running them.