axle nuts?

dirtyblaster

Mar 26, 2007
my friend has a problem with his axle nuts because they keep on coming loose, is there a glue that you put on the axle threads to keep it from moving around? give me the link please, is there an easy escape from having to get a certain type of glue if there is any? if yes what kind?

Get a bottle of locktite that will solve your problem, it's made to put on bolts an nuts so they don't back out or off

i actually just used some locktite on my silencer bolts because they all keep coming out, haven't had a problem with them anymore

Use RED locktite for this, i used the blue stuff (service removeable) on all the rearend bolts nuts on my old quadracer, my axles nuts kame loose and my sprocket bolts fell out, after kleaning everything up i used red locktite and BOOF, problem solved

My axle has slots for a cotter key drill a hole for a cotter key

yeah, i showed my friend this post when he came over and when he saw the idea of drilling into a axle he was like F**k no! i wouldn't drill into a axle unless you have money to replace it if it breaks.

My axle has slots for a cotter key drill a hole for a cotter key

I think your talking about the end of the axl. I belive dirtyblaster is talking about the large lock nuts that hold the axl too the carrier.

Correct me if Im wrong dirtyblaster.

yeah thats what i meant by axle nuts, its next to the rear sproket.

ok thats what I thought.

Well there should be 2 of them. And red loc-tite is needed. put this on the treads 1st then do the following

1 hand tighten the 1st axle lock nut (inside)
2 tighten it to 40 ft lbs
3 Install the 2nd axle lock nut (outside) hand tighten
4 hold the inside nut and tighten the outside nut to 140 ft lbs agains the inside one
5 hold the outside axle nut and turn the inside nut counter clockwise against the outside nut to a torque of 177 ft lbs.

ok thats what I thought.

Well there should be 2 of them. And red loc-tite is needed. put this on the treads 1st then do the following

1 hand tighten the 1st axle lock nut (inside)
2 tighten it to 40 ft lbs
3 Install the 2nd axle lock nut (outside) hand tighten
4 hold the inside nut and tighten the outside nut to 140 ft lbs agains the inside one
5 hold the outside axle nut and turn the inside nut counter clockwise against the outside nut to a torque of 177 ft lbs.

How exactly do you measure torque on these particular nuts? Some expensive specialty tool?

^^ good question.. I just took my giant crescent and set it on the second nut. Took a plastic sledge and beat on the end of the wrench, kinda gives an impact gun effect.