530 chain

Andy

Oct 9, 2010
Lake Zurich, IL
Just installed 4" extended swingarm and need longer chain. I have a 530 laying around from streetbike that I could cut down to fit... but obviously not same at the stock chain specs (which I believe stock to be 520, a bit narrower). What do you guys think? Bad idea?

actually was considering just running entire 530 chain... yeah, I know probably bad idea given still running sprocket matched to 520.

a 530 chain wont work well on a 520 sprocket. the sprocket will be too narrow for the chain.

Just installed 4" extended swingarm and need longer chain. I have a 530 laying around from streetbike that I could cut down to fit... but obviously not same at the stock chain specs (which I believe stock to be 520, a bit narrower). What do you guys think? Bad idea?

do you have a fleet farm? farm and fleet? tractory supply co? hell anywhere that sells tractor/farm/ and garden stuff? i picked up a 10' shain for 14 bucks at my local fleet farm, works great, onoly down fall is non o ring, so got to clean it more and keep it oiled good.. but offers less rolling resistance than a o ring or x ring chain

do you have a fleet farm? farm and fleet? tractory supply co? hell anywhere that sells tractor/farm/ and garden stuff? i picked up a 10' shain for 14 bucks at my local fleet farm, works great, onoly down fall is non o ring, so got to clean it more and keep it oiled good.. but offers less rolling resistance than a o ring or x ring chain

non o ring will stretch alot more also than a o ring or x ring i had to adjust my non oring every time i took it out so did oconnor

just remember you get what you pay for. reason some chains are more is because they last longer. they wont stretch as bad, they wont just break for no reason.

I have brand new GP HD (non-oring) 7200 lb tensile strength chains in 130 links (way longer than youll need) shipped for $45. Ill even include a spare master link case you cut it too short.

I have several of these on bikes producing over 100hp for the last 4 years. Never broke nor stretched past the first ride.

some of the cheap, "colored", non o-ring chains on ebay are rated at 8000+ tensile strength
a green one i got my bro has been holding up good on the lakota he bought from me, which was notorious for needing weekly chain adjustments, i think he's adjusted it once in the last few months

there are a couple brands of colored chains out there. the KMS brand are actually pretty good like you mentioned. The weak point in the KMS are the O-Rings. They are cheap and dry out quickly, fall apart and then the chain gets squeaky and wiggles from side to side, but stays strong laterally.

that is the biggest complaint I get about them

I have brand new GP HD (non-oring) 7200 lb tensile strength chains in 130 links (way longer than youll need) shipped for $45. Ill even include a spare master link case you cut it too short.

I have several of these on bikes producing over 100hp for the last 4 years. Never broke nor stretched past the first ride.

damn man is there anything you dont have? haha I:I I:I