$250 power mods

AT Blaster

Mar 8, 2009
Indiana
I have approx. $250 I will be able to donate to my Blaster.

What power mods do you recommend? I already have an FMF pipe and scilencer but that's it to my knowledge.

I'm looking for easy/semi easy mods I could do in my garage w/ limited tool selection.

I had origionally planned on only making it look better this winter but the "I wanna go fast" bug has bitten!

What do you recommend? Or should I stick with my plan, same my money and get all my motor work done at the same time by a pro like wildcard or kennedy?

If I stick w/ my origional plans I would buy a sandblaster and media to clean up the frame, a arms and wheels before paint. I would also send my swinger to YB for a +3 or +4 extention.
(That isn't justification to talk me into sticking w/ my origional plans YB :D)

What do you guys suggest?

u could buy...
flywheel holder and do a +4 timing mod (or use a air impact)- free-$10
vforce 3 reeds- $130
trx250r rear shock- about $50-60
14 tooth front sprocket- $20
banshee front shocks- $30
and i can't think of anymore off hand so someone please help finish this list

u could buy...
flywheel holder and do a +4 timing mod (or use a air impact)- free-$10
vforce 3 reeds- $130
trx250r rear shock- about $50-60
14 tooth front sprocket- $20
banshee front shocks- $30
and i can't think of anymore off hand so someone please help finish this list

power mods man

if you send it off for a port you could run it as it is and then later on get a better pipe and some reeds and such

i think i'd stick with the shock upgrades, the power and speed aint no good if ya cant control the bike, and they make a huge difference, allowing you to go faster over rough stuff, used works fronts for around/under $200, and a 400ex rear for $50/$60

definently should get more on suspension before getting power..... the 400ex n 250r rear shocks are a good upgrade from the blaster shock, and banshee fronts are pretty good too and you can usually find good deals n get them pretty cheap

Not trying to doubt any of you, but would a port job make that much of a difference in power?

I'm looking to get a pair of Shee fronts soon too. If I get it ported I would probablly have the front shocks before I got the top end back.

As for the rear shock, I won't get a new one of those until I get my swing arm to YB for a +3 or +4 extention. With those lengths, is there one rear that would be better than the rest for the money?

400ex shocks must be really comfortable on blasters because of there light weight compared to my 400 pound 400ex.

Porting and headwork matched to the right pipe can almost double your stock power output. But these guys are right too, all of the power in the world does no good if you can't get it to the ground. I could do a nice port and headmod with round trip shipping and fit into your $250 budget if that's the route you'd like to go.

YB- What about this shock?

TRX 250R 450 400 400EX 450R REAR SHOCK FROM STOCK QUAD:eBay Motors (item 290340055245 end time Jan-11-10 15:44:21 PST)

I'm not sure exactly what shock it belongs to but I ran a search for 250r shocks and this popped up. From the listing it says it fits the 400EX and 250R. If it is a 400EX shock, it will be the least expensive one I seen.

Wildcard- I have planned on having you do the motor work for me. I found someone who has a ported cylinder and milled head right now so I may get that depending on my commission check. If I can't get it on the 31st I will be sending you my cylinder and head at the end of nxt month.

Thank you all for your help! Much appreciated......

Last edited by a moderator:
YB- What about this shock?

TRX 250R 450 400 400EX 450R REAR SHOCK FROM STOCK QUAD:eBay Motors (item 290340055245 end time Jan-11-10 15:44:21 PST)

I'm not sure exactly what shock it belongs to but I ran a search for 250r shocks and this popped up. From the listing it says it fits the 400EX and 250R. If it is a 400EX shock, it will be the least expensive one I seen.

Wildcard- I have planned on having you do the motor work for me. I found someone who has a ported cylinder and milled head right now so I may get that depending on my commission check. If I can't get it on the 31st I will be sending you my cylinder and head at the end of nxt month.

Thank you all for your help! Much appreciated......

Ya.thats a 400ex shock.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a 400ex shock on a +2 and a +4 with the stock mount locations and it works well on both. My son weighs about 140 and likes the ex400 & +4 the best.
Be cool if someone like YB would mod a swinger to Fragle's suspension spec's so peeps could bolt on longer travel with an inexpensive shock. Would take sum testing but testing's fun.

Not tryin to thread jack ya here but I also have a question. If I ran a 400ex shock will I deff have to go with a wider rear end? Wasnt sure if I did or not.

nope^^ thats has nothing to do with it, width is personal preference.
i would send your cylinder to wildcard with that 250.
save up some more and when the time comes upgrade the carb, get a good set of reeds, and do the intake.