2001 blaster wont start need some help

Yamahas4life

Feb 28, 2010
Bakersfield
Hey guys i am new to this forum and was looking for some help. i just bought an 01 blaster not running, the guy i got it from said that the last time he got it started it backfired and turned off. i have cleaned out the carb and the fuel system i know these bikes come with coils how do i check and see if that might be my problem.... and could it be that the coil is not producing a spark... i would appreciate some feed back on somethings i could try to reslve this problem... thanks

Start with pulling the spark plug out of the head, reinstall the spark plug into the plug boot, hold it against the head and kick it over. The body has to make contact with the engine or frame to let the spark go thru the boot and plug. If you don't see a pretty bright spark you're screwed. Just kidding, but you'll have to read up here for how to test your coil and stator etc or go buy a manual and go thru the steps for troubleshoting for no spark. Don't forget to make sure the switchs are all on. Also I don't think the tors will keep it from sparking, just idling up if it's faulty.

take the stator cover off and pull the flywheel off and there is a little woodruff key in there on the shaft

the ignition switch is broken but would it even give a spark if the switch was on off???? i am able to spin the switch with a driver but either way i turn it, it will still produce a spark.

ok latest update bike still will not start.... i cleaned entire fuel system starting with the tank, the hose, the fuel regulator, the whole carb, jet and everything. i put new fuel with a 36:1 mixture oh and a new spark plug. i know i have a spark either way i turn the ignition still gives a spark(broken doesnt have key slot) just in case that might be the problem is their a way to bi-pass the ignition switch??? any other suggestions would be greately appriciated i really dont know what elso to look at ar to look for........thank you

If you have a spark the ignition switch isn't the problem. But do you have a good spark? A weak spark will give you hard or no start sometimes. I would make sure you have the correct plug and a good spark, then try a little, I repeat a little, starting fluid. My last blaster project had the wring plug and did spark but no start, but when I put the correct plug and a small shot of starter fluid it started right up and has been ok ever since.

If you have a spark the ignition switch isn't the problem. But do you have a good spark? A weak spark will give you hard or no start sometimes. I would make sure you have the correct plug and a good spark, then try a little, I repeat a little, starting fluid. My last blaster project had the wring plug and did spark but no start, but when I put the correct plug and a small shot of starter fluid it started right up and has been ok ever since.
how do i know what is considered a good spark? i mean the spark produced is not huge but its good enough to see

ok guys i am about to burn the bike......i have taken apart carb again and cleaned it i know i have a spark but yet when i kick it, just will not start or even sound like it wants to start i have tried the suggestions but still nothing..... am i doing something wrong.... or could the problem be somewhere else??? any more ideas on what can be wrong>>>>>

Mine did the same check the coil. Get a multi-meter and check the ohms and current on all electrical parts. There are specs in the service manual.