2001 Blaster not starting with under half a tank of gas

xCloudx

Jun 9, 2011
We've been struggling with a slight problem with our Blaster for about a year now. Whenever the tank gets down to under about 1/2, we experience a really difficult time starting it and then keeping it running. At first we thought the spark plug might be to blame so we swapped that and it didn't help. We also removed and cleaned the air filter. I'm at a loss. I'm not sure if it's a fuel line or carb or what.

Any thoughts? It turns right over if it's full but under half it takes maybe ten times or so. It also starts to run rough and die as you get lower and once it dies it's nearly impossible to get started again (unless you dump some gas in to fill it, then it fires up immediately).

The easiest solution is to just keep gas in it but that becomes a hassle, especially during the summer when we ride it for several hours at a time. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Try cleaning your carburator. I had the same exact problem when I got my blaster. My old man and I cleaned it out very thoroughly and than slapped it back on and it ran perfect, other than a little idling high which was just a little adjustment with the idling screw. I would try cleaning it first. Probably all gunked up or something

i'm guessing that the tank is vaporlocking, put a new vent hose on, if it continues, check the vent part of your gas cap, it might be plugged

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions. It has been about a year and a half since we gave the carb a good clean. I'll try that first and then 04blasterboy's suggestion a shot. I'll post back when I know what's going on :)

im thinking your petcock is gunged up, if it was a vacuum, the problem would dissapear when the cap was opened and a suction would be noticed.

take the petcock off from under the tank, 2 screws hold it in, make sure you empty the tank 1st. then give it a good clean, flush out the tank while you at it, also check the fuel tap seal and the fuel supply line

okay first off im not trying to be a smartass or anything rude at all......
are you sure its half a tank and not down below the reserve line?
does it run if you switch from regular run to reserve?
this is a good way to chek the logging in the main petcock, if it runs fine on reserve you may have a clogged main fuel screen.