+2 steering stem

little3mil

Sep 17, 2009
florida
ok heres the run down on how i made a +2 steering stem for 2.62
this has probly been done but i took pics while doing it, so i figured i post them I:I

1) cut your stock stem, make sure you dont go too high or the weld will show and make sure it wont hit the part that clamps to the bars. where i cut mine is perfect and the hood will hide the welds :D

23mokyg.jpg

2) go to a steel shop and get a foot of some nice thick pipe (thicker than stock) make sure you find a peice that fits in PERFECTLY so there is no play, i made my sleeve go inside rather than out side but you can do it either way. inside looks cleaner imo

343i6io.jpg

3) heres a shot of how long the sleeve is. I'm going to use the whole foot for strength reasons. you dont want this to be too small or janky in anyway as i would imagine it could bend or break after some riding abuse (if the pipe is not thicker than the stock stem)

34q1nco.jpg

4) once again, get your welder out and make the welds as clean as possible, also make sur you get them nice and hot. when welding this make sure you lay both sides flat on a flat surface to make sure its perfectly straight, this is very important. (you'll see once you get there) if you dont have a welder, a local shop can do it for like 20 bucks prob.

214r0k4.jpg

5) give her a nice sand down and a nice coat of paint and clear coat, and throw her on!!

2whqiqq.jpg

*** ill have more pics of it up close and on in my mini build thread tonight but it looks great and the best part is i saved 300 for not getting the overpriced chrome one :eek: :eek:

ikr?? i might have to do this, i'm close to 6' and i'm 13!! and this bike is kinda small, thats why i run no fenders, so my legs have room, i'm thinkin about gettin some tall bars first just to see if that helps

i would rather do this then get "taller bars" to me they look ugly, thats why i had to do this mod cause my protaper fat bars are like damn drag bars, there almost flat!!

killer job bro, u didnt have any issues with warping or bending from the heat did ya

good question, no what i did was tacked the one side flipped it over and tacked the other side first so it couldnt warp or bend to one side I:I also the sleeve fit so tight i had to file the part i cut just to slide it in there, thats why i wasn't concerned with that too much but no shes straight as an arrow

Reactions: xJust_Causex
very interesting, something I may have to try. There is times when I wish I had taller bars, and this seems to be the way to go. nice post +reps.

very nice man, definitely a good alternative for the guys who don't have access to a lathe to put in a banshee stem, and cheaper no matter what!

Yeh man...great fabbing and thinking outside the box. I too am extending mine, but i grinded the old clamp off and extended it at the top so no worries about interfering with stem clamping spots or major warping. I am also adding an anti vibe clamp to mine...something ya might wanna consider? Check out my build thread to see how Lonestar does it. Pretty easy...

Yeh man...great fabbing and thinking outside the box. I too am extending mine, but i grinded the old clamp off and extended it at the top so no worries about interfering with stem clamping spots or major warping. I am also adding an anti vibe clamp to mine...something ya might wanna consider? Check out my build thread to see how Lonestar does it. Pretty easy...

i didnt think of that i'll have to check it in your build I:I

guys, this is a great mod if you have a welding shop or a buddy who welds!!! really easy and it makes riding the tiny blaster alot easier on the ol' back if your tall like myself.

oh and thanks for all the rep i got from whoever gave it. i appreciate it :)

Reactions: blasterfreek30