18 in tires good ?

blasterbooy23

Feb 21, 2013
I have a 89 yamaha blaster borred 60 over is poted and polished and the head is milled i run 93 im thinking of getting 18 inch tires i have 13/40 gearing would these tires be good and funn like would it rip and come up on wheelies easy or should i keep my big tires just wondering if there funn i ride on the road and trails and dunes thanks for yur guys help i really appreciate it i jst dnt want to waist the money

I switched from 22's to 18's and it has increased my top end speed but has taken away from the bottom end. Also, I have a 13/40 and it is really hard keeping my front end down so I'm thinking of getting a 4" extended swingarm.

I just finished reading your post and the 18's will be better if you like to ride on roads because I usually ride on roads to and they are a lot better than my old tires

I switched from 22's to 18's and it has increased my top end speed but has taken away from the bottom end. Also, I have a 13/40 and it is really hard keeping my front end down so I'm thinking of getting a 4" extended swingarm.

You keep giving people the wrong information. Smaller rear tires will improve acceleration, but take away from top speed.

going from 22 to 18 will take away your top end, and give you more bottom end....

The best for roads would be 20-22

If this is not a misprint then I recommend that you tune the motor soon!I:I

Reactions: Cam defran
I have 18's and i'm thinking of getting bigger ones. Maybe its just the brand i have, but they aren't that good in the mud.

No 18 would not be good in mud... And the brand would also depend, depending on the traction

Mud you need more clearance to reach the bottom, but if your frame is floating on the mud you can get that grip.

I am going to avoid water and mud as much as i can....

^ ^ ^ Agreed ... Larger tire = faster top speed. Smaller tire = faster acceleration but lower top speed. In my opinion 20" would probably be your best bet if you want a nice happy medium between acceleration and top speed. I myself love my 22"s and am more than happy with my acceleration, top speed and the extra clearance !

I have 18's and i'm thinking of getting bigger ones. Maybe its just the brand i have, but they aren't that good in the mud.

If you like riding in sloppy trails and mud I'd recommend going with a larger tire as you mentioned ... Size is almost as much of a factor as tread pattern when it comes to getting through mud holes and sloppy trails. You have to figure the larger the tire the greater the surface area, which ultimately equals more grabbing power in the mud ! I have 22x11x8 ITP Mudlites and I love them, they're one of the lightest 6 ply tires available and grab onto mud, dirt, gravel etc. like nothing else ... I got both of mine for $150 shipped from rockymountainatvmc.com !