03 Blaster runs great for 15 to 20 min then.... dies

03Blaster1985

Nov 3, 2015
ok so I deleted tors,oil injection and parking brake.... running klotz 2 cycle oil 40:1 mix.... got a new NGK plug in it... it is stock as for as I know... runs great, usually starts first kick!idles fine and goes through the gears fine with plenty of power... so here is my problem! it will run perfectly normal for 15 to 20 min and then it acts like it loses spark or gas and just dies... imeadiatly after dying I can kick it and will start right back up just as normal but then die again after a short ride, and has been backfiring every once in a while... this last time I rode it... it backfired and wouldn't start back up... I am new to the forum and this is the first blaster I have ever owned please help me out

Fresh gas? Gas tank clean and free of debris? Is the petcock in good shape? Carb have fuel in it? Float height could be out of whack.

Fresh gas? Gas tank clean and free of debris? Is the petcock in good shape? Carb have fuel in it? Float height could be out of whack.
fresh clean gas... and haven't messed with the carb other than idle and air screw... ran great before with no problems... just started doing this all the sudden.... petcock is working as it should... but I haven't opend the carb so everything should be the way its supposed to be... unless maybe its due for a carb rebuild

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

Start by checking a few simple things, make sure that fuel is flowing to the carb. disconnect the hose at the carb and turn the gas on to see if it is flowing from the tank.

The backfireing usually is caused by blown reeds or the bike firing the ignition at the wrong time. The way you say it just starts up doesn't point to the reeds in my mind. I'd check to see if your flywheel hasn't rattled loose, and you sheared a woodruff key, or you have a bad ground somewhere that is vibrating loose after it runs.
Inspect the wires going to and from the coil. Check to see if something isn't bare and grounding out too.

Reactions: 03Blaster1985
Welcome to the forum.

Start by checking a few simple things, make sure that fuel is flowing to the carb. disconnect the hose at the carb and turn the gas on to see if it is flowing from the tank.

The backfireing usually is caused by blown reeds or the bike firing the ignition at the wrong time. The way you say it just starts up doesn't point to the reeds in my mind. I'd check to see if your flywheel hasn't rattled loose, and you sheared a woodruff key, or you have a bad ground somewhere that is vibrating loose after it runs.
Inspect the wires going to and from the coil. Check to see if something isn't bare and grounding out too.
sounds good will check it out and see what I come up with thanks

sounds good will check it out and see what I come up with thanks
update..... checked plug its getting spark and is wet.... checked flywheel key is still good.... checked compression it was over 120.... took carb off and checked reeds BINGO!!!! blown out... thanks to everyone who replied

Fresh gas? Gas tank clean and free of debris? Is the petcock in good shape? Carb have fuel in it? Float height could be out of whack.[/QU
ok so I deleted tors,oil injection and parking brake.... running klotz 2 cycle oil 40:1 mix.... got a new NGK plug in it... it is stock as for as I know... runs great, usually starts first kick!idles fine and goes through the gears fine with plenty of power... so here is my problem! it will run perfectly normal for 15 to 20 min and then it acts like it loses spark or gas and just dies... imeadiatly after dying I can kick it and will start right back up just as normal but then die again after a short ride, and has been backfiring every once in a while... this last time I rode it... it backfired and wouldn't start back up... I am new to the forum and this is the first blaster I have ever owned please help me out
I had this exact problem it was the float right from having the carb apart. Not saying its ur problem but its a good place to look...try driving around slow if it don't die on ya that could be your problem. I've seen it happen when the cylinder nuts start to loosen off and the motor gets hot and starts to suck air and it will die too...ither die or take off wide open when it gets too bad lol