Which shock

Whitty21

Apr 15, 2010
Small town, ON, Canada
What shock do u guys think i should go with, I currently have a 400ex shock but want to see if i can do better with the +3 or 4 long travwl swinger i will be getting from tater

i am thinking 250r or a yfz rear shock

any other suggestions, and i mean on a budget lol, i am more worried about my front suspension right now

Probably have a better chance of getting a YFZ shock in better condition to start with. Even the oldest ones will be like 12+ years newer.

you gonna be able to run that long of a shock whitty? i just measured the one the my yfz and its 19" eye to eye. quite a bit longer than blasty

yeah, the 400ex and 450r are the same except for the offset rezzie
if you dont mind changing/fabbing a new shock mount,
get a yfz, tons newer than any 250r your gonna find

Last edited:
the yfz rear shock can work with my long travel swingarm setup... one problem though will be that the shock mount and bottom of shock would be closer to the ground than i would feel comfortable with. a skidplate could be made to protect it though. i feel a good 400ex shock will be just as good as long as it is fresh. they do have preload rebound and damping adjustments. they are a good shock. should work fine for the 95% of us that ride recreationally. a competitive racer would want something better if their budget allowed it.

the yfz rear shock can work with my long travel swingarm setup... one problem though will be that the shock mount and bottom of shock would be closer to the ground than i would feel comfortable with. a skidplate could be made to protect it though. i feel a good 400ex shock will be just as good as long as it is fresh. they do have preload rebound and damping adjustments. they are a good shock. should work fine for the 95% of us that ride recreationally. a competitive racer would want something better if their budget allowed it.

thanks for the input, maybe i will just stick with the 400ex then, i will be gettin ahold of u when i have the cash, need to sell this top end and it may give me enough money to set u to work

thats what i was thinking tater, seemed just a little too long to work. i havent ever built one but just seemed that way. always good to have some knowledgeable people on the forum.

thanks for the input, maybe i will just stick with the 400ex then, i will be gettin ahold of u when i have the cash, need to sell this top end and it may give me enough money to set u to work

yeah..let me know.. i have 1 swingarm left here if dont want to ship yours. i can sell you it cheap and start on it sooner.

thats what i was thinking tater, seemed just a little too long to work. i havent ever built one but just seemed that way. always good to have some knowledgeable people on the forum.

yeah man it can work.. if you do not ride rough trails alot it would be fine..i dont see a big advantage though over the other shocks mentioned .. and i dont like how far under the swingarm the shock would mount.