what does it take to keep up w/ the 400s

R

redline201

how hard is it to mod a blaster to keep up with the 400ex and z400s. will some bolt ons and a port job do the trick. or will i need a 240 kit and a race piston ?

well if it helps any a 400ex stock has roughly 29hp, a stock blaster has about 17hp. The 240 big bore kit for the blaster rate it up around 32hp on a lighter bike.

I saw a nitrous kit for $650. Even then, it would still be close i bet

a blaster jetted with a full fmf pipe reeds will beat a 400ex their not a race bike their made for trails if you even want to go the distance and put a 60 bore on it with a wisco pistion and rings you will have no problem

i know that when i had a .50 bore and port and polish w/ mill head i beat z400's my stroker can hang w/ my buddys 440. not beat though

i didi the stroker so i could eaisly beat 300ex's on the track b/c 4strokes have a good advantage in the mud. that whole torque thing

i beat a piped an filtered z400 in a drag race an i had 14/40 gearings, reeds, fmf pipe, 20 inch slicks, an jetted properly.

thanks for the replies guys. at first i thought i asked a forbiden question or didnt search enough. i was just wondering because everyone says blasters are for kids. im going to buy one becuase they are cheap, light, and 2 stroke. the one im buying has some mods already.
i think it has
Weisco piston
High Performance Reids
FMF power pipe
bored out .40 over (professionally done)
and I believe the air filter is a K&N
so this thing should be pretty quick?
after i get it i will mod the suspention with banshee front shocks, 400ex rear, g force rear axle and flipped front rims.

yea stock blasters are a kids quad but I have a pretty moded blaster and its not a kids quad(even tho im 15) it runs with my friends moded 400ex but hes a little heavy and not that good so im sure it will beat a stock one no prob
they are fun when nthey are moded

I've beat a couple z400's on the mx track before. I have a pipe, filter, and jetting. It depends on the rider. I know they came over to check out my little Blaster when we were done. lol

dude a blaster will beat a 400 with just a pipe no airbox lid and a skilled rider.
iv honest to god seen my brother beat a stock banshee... YEAHH pretty funny.. i supose it doesnt count cuz the kid just got it and he was infact a KID... but you can say my brothers a blaster veteran ahaha

as for 400's i think dicky used to have one and joeys blaster could beat it and he only had a pipe but it was jetted to like 310 or sumthing like that its the biggest jet for the stock carb or sumthin but yeah ahah it blew up after 3 days its still at the farm too and that was a year ago so i think about to boost sum tires off of it ahahhah but he beat dickys 400 im not sure if it was a z tho i know it was a 400 it was yellow.. maybe a an ex?

4 strokes are like tampons - every pussy needs one

how hard is it to mod a blaster to keep up with the 400ex and z400s. will some bolt ons and a port job do the trick. or will i need a 240 kit and a race piston ?

Here's what i did for the blasters my sons ride and they more than keep up with the stock Ltz400 and the 400 ex (I have owned both the ltz400 and the 400ex)

1) Have the stock cylinder bored 40 over and put a wiseco 40 over piston kit in it. (Here it cost $180.00 to have it bored and to buy the 40 over piston kit and top end gasket set, and a new wrist pin bearing. of course that is with me doing all the labor of taking it apart and putting it back together.)

2) buy a 1 up chain and sprocket kit,
3) put either "Aktive" carbon race reeds, or "Boyeson" power reeds in it
(i prefer the Aktive carbon)
4) and put a boost bottle on it.
(a lot of people say the boost bottles don't work but my dyno machine shows 10% horse power increase after putting them on my sons blasters.)

5) get a good set of hole shot tires for the back of it and throw those old balloon tires it came with away. (they are actually left overs from the balloon tire era)

and be sure to set your suspension set up right so you don't have to slow down too much going over whoops or rough terrain.

I put my son's blasters both on my dyno machine at my shop and they came factory with 28 horsepower.
when i bored them 40 over i put them back on the dyno and they were at 32 horsepower.
i put Aktive carbon race reeds in both and put a 1 up chain and sprocket kit on them and a reed spacer from trengaracing and tested them again; they jumped up to 35 horsepower.
I put the boost bottle on and got 37 horsepower total.
(and that's all without a 240 big bore kit.)

I then took the airbox cover off them and removed the baffles from the exhaust, i drilled a 1/2 inch hole inside the muffler where the baffles came out, to allow it to breathe.
readjusted the fuel/air mixture on the carb so it would run properly.
retested them on the dyno and they are putting out 38 horsepower like this.

these mods didn't take much time to do at all, about 30 minutes to remove the cylinder and take it to haveit bored out, about 2 days time for them to get around to boring it out.
30 minutes to reassemble it with the new piston and bored cylinder on it.

about 20 minutes to replace the reed spacer and the reeds, about 20 minutes to replace the chain and the sprockets.

boost bottle took about 10 minutes to install.

the baffle was simple to remove 3 screws, and then drilling the hole alltogether about 10 minutes.

removing the airbox cover took about 2 minutes.

readjusting the carb took about 30 minutes of trial and error to get it dialed in right.

thanks for the replies guys. at first i thought i asked a forbiden question or didnt search enough. i was just wondering because everyone says blasters are for kids. im going to buy one becuase they are cheap, light, and 2 stroke. the one im buying has some mods already.
i think it has
Weisco piston
High Performance Reids
FMF power pipe
bored out .40 over (professionally done)
and I believe the air filter is a K&N
so this thing should be pretty quick?
after i get it i will mod the suspention with banshee front shocks, 400ex rear, g force rear axle and flipped front rims.

alot of people say the blaster is a kids fourwheeler, but even stock they'll drag an adult around like they aren't on it.

i ride my sons' blaster all the time and still keep up with 400's

and the blaster completely stock will smoke a 300ex!!
no problems doing it either.
it's makes the 300ex look like it is backing up.

i ride with a guy who has a piped 400EX .

we ride right along with each other... open stretches i seem to leave him quite a bit... but over the rough stuff (creeks, logs, and rocks) he seems to pull ahead... jumping is about the same... he definitely has more torque.

if i miss a gear or lose my rpms he will be right on me... his 400ex allows more relaxed riding.. he has power even if he is riding in a gear too tall.

turning is another advantage for him... where mine was to tip his will just slide around and power through.

so.. it's all about how your blaster is set up. if i had decent squared tires in the back i would have no issues. i also am extending mine out +6 front and +4 rear and eventually +2 swingarm. we'll see how we match up soon.

the blaster, bored, piped, and jetted properly looks like it has enough GO to at least keep up with a 400EX.. it's just the short wheel base and narrow stance that prohibit it somewhat.

of course.. this is all MY opinion.

Blaster with FMF vs. 400EX w/ Jardine Muffler = Blaster For The Win

As far as both being bone stock, I'm not sure. They'd be pretty close though. The Blaster has an extra gear. :)