What do you guys include in your trail toolkit?

El_cheapo

Apr 7, 2019
I like to ride trails solo, the trails i have access to have no cell service. I currently just threw a Philips, flathead, and a little glass liquor bottle filled with atf under my seat. (I had been fighting a leaky drain bolt, I show no signs of leaks now though)

Obviously there are things we can't fix on the trail, engine blows your walking out. But anyone have ideas on things i could add for scenarios?

Last weekend I caught a stick between the tires and ripped a valve stem off, previous owner had flipped the front tires around for some reason. I actually rode back several miles of highway like that, if i went like 20+ mph centrifugal force would actually whip the tire into shape pretty well and I just kind of leaned the other way. There was no way i could break that bead even if I had a valve stem, then there's the trouble of airing it back up although I suppose you could carry one of those little bike pumps cross country bicyclists use. I guess if I had recently broke my beads loose, and a bigger Phillips, possibly used a rock as a hammer I could have pulled it off but maybe i'm going too far here.

spare spark plug in a 3d printed spark plug case so the porcelain is protected if i drop my backpack. found the 3d file on thingiverse. spark plug wrench I cut out of aluminum with a plasma cutter, a JIS screwdriver, a 20oz metal can of spare fuel, some paracord, zip ties, pocket size tire plug kit, spare schrader valve cores (two of my valve caps have schrader valve tools built in), a small bike pump, small bundle of stainless bailing wire, little packet of grease i got up by the register at the auto parts store, and a tiny tube of RTV that came with some auto parts at some point long ago. It's probably not any good but it's still in that bag. Most of that small stuff fits in a quart size ziplock baggie to keep water out.

Instead of a little glass liquor bottle filled with atf keep it filled with the liquor that way when you have a catastrophic failure you can have a drink while you sit back and wonder how many miles you're about to have to walk to get home. Lol

Reactions: Slydog