What Do I Have Here? (Help!)

Fuzemagazine

Jan 11, 2013
S. GA
Sup Guys/Gals! This is my first post as I just recently obtained a Blaster for the price of gas to pick it up I:I ! Unfortunately, I don't know what it is that I have as far as the year/model. I only know that it needs A LOT of work and I plan to give it a full rebuild. The owner said it needed a new top-end since someone put too large of a sparkplug in it and... well you can guess the rest. I've attached some photos below.

I'm building this for my nephews and this is my first ATV. I came from GSXR 750 & currently riding a Harley Street Glide but all of my vehicles have been tricked out in some way. I'd like to make this thing better than factory and looking for the best upgrades while being practical. I will need all the help I can get and have spent 2 days on the forums so far browsing so I know there are some very knowledgeable people here!

I'm mainly looking for recommendations on performance upgrades (a package) first. I will start dis-assembly in the morning and post more pics of what I find.

8374275475_431b9957e2.jpg
8375345810_2da1b4b9bc.jpg
8375346558_7dbf92f109.jpg
8375348240_a78f3e89d1.jpg

Last edited:
welcome to BF.

i can't call it on exact year, there's a vin # on the frame rail below the shifter area, you can run that here for an exact year...........

Yamaha VIN Decoder @ Motoverse.com

blasters ran from 88-06
thats definately a 90-02, evidence by the metal heelgaurds 90+ had, and the cable brakes all 88-02's had

but they are basically all the exact same, except 03+ had hydro front and rear brakes.

the age of your nephews will determine what "package" we recommend, these can be made into 30/40 horsepower beasts with the right porting, head mod, carb and pipe package.
possibly too much for younger riders.

alot of us have our mods under our sig pics to use as suggestions \/

welcome to BF.

i can't call it on exact year, there's a vin # on the frame rail below the shifter area, you can run that here for an exact year...........

Yamaha VIN Decoder @ Motoverse.com

blasters ran from 88-06
thats definately a 90-02, evidence by the metal heelgaurds 90+ had, and the cable brakes all 88-02's had

but they are basically all the exact same, except 03+ had hydro front and rear brakes.

the age of your nephews will determine what "package" we recommend, these can be made into 30/40 horsepower beasts with the right porting, head mod, carb and pipe package.
possibly too much for younger riders.

alot of us have our mods under our sig pics to use as suggestions \/

Hey thanks for the quick and helpful response!! I will definitely check the VIN in a few but yes, my nephews are about to be 16 (twins) and meanwhile I plan on having them help me build it thinking it's mine and once complete... surprising them. B)

, my nephews are about to be 16 (twins) and meanwhile I plan on having them help me build it thinking it's mine and once complete... surprising them. B)

hell of an idea !!!!
eehhh, 16, yeah thats old enuf to see what these things are really capable of, have they ridden before ?
what kind of budget ya working with ?

hell of an idea !!!!
eehhh, 16, yeah thats old enuf to see what these things are really capable of, have they ridden before ?
what kind of budget ya working with ?

They have been on a few of their friends quads but not sure how they ride lol! They are hitting the same trails I did as a kid so I know that there is nothing where they can really hit top speed nearby except pavement :eek: I'm willing to spend about $2500 total as it cost me nothing and it can be passed on to my younger nephew if he wants it.

hey man id try using SOS brillo pads with lots of water on them plastics to make them look new again.

That's the plan but I need new plastic for the left front as it has a melted thru spot that you can barely see in the pics.

I'm willing to spend about $2500 total as it cost me nothing and it can be passed on to my younger nephew if he wants it.

$2500, woohoo, thats gonna get you right in the ballpark with the nicest blasters on here, if you spend it wisely.

as for specific suggestions on parts/work, how could i not suggest my own build ? it's a trail beast !!!

i'd look into a topend rebuild, maybe some porting/head mod, any aftermarket pipe except a DG, front aftermarket shocks (works performance are good for starters) and a 400ex shock for the rear, new tires if needed, and a freshen up paint job.

do you plan on hitting our marketplace for parts ?
you'll need 300 posts, or 30 posts and pay the $10 subscrition fee,
http://www.blasterforum.com/payments.php
ebay is good for gently used parts also.
as for new/retail ...rockymountainatv.com
or one of our site sponsors

$2500, woohoo, thats gonna get you right in the ballpark with the nicest blasters on here, if you spend it wisely.

as for specific suggestions on parts/work, how could i not suggest my own build ? it's a trail beast !!!

i'd look into a topend rebuild, maybe some porting/head mod, any aftermarket pipe except a DG, front aftermarket shocks (works performance are good for starters) and a 400ex shock for the rear, new tires if needed, and a freshen up paint job.

The topend is the first step after dis-assembly but looks like I'll need to re-wire some things before I can see how it rides etc. I already put the 400ex shock on my list as I've seen that posted all over here and youtube!! As for the marketplace, I might already be finished w/this before I get 300 posts but we'll see lol! That's a LOT but I understand. I will start my shopping tomorrow when I've finished the tear down.

30 posts and $10 subscription opens the marketplace

i have over 2500 in my z400 and i still have another 800 to spend but only have 600 in my paypal almost there and that dosent include what i paid to buy the bike but if you invest 2500 in a blaster WISELY you will have a smokin sexy blaster on here like mine for exmple

i know this is way off topic but in the first pic blue car in the back ground is that a mopar by chance?

i have over 2500 in my z400 and i still have another 800 to spend but only have 600 in my paypal almost there and that dosent include what i paid to buy the bike but if you invest 2500 in a blaster WISELY you will have a smokin sexy blaster on here like mine for exmple

Yeah, I checked out your build my first day on here. Nice!

or spend over 2k in a motor, lol ill be right there with slightly modded banshees if I can find someone with a banshee to race, we will see, ill be at busco this yr.

I'm telling u man there is so much u can do to these bikes, 2500 will get u some really nice parts or a ridiculous motor. Me personally I like to go fast so I put the most in my motor but I still have the best of other parts also, probably 5k in mine with everything

WELL... I went to check the vin (what numbers I could make out) and I don't have 17 characters!!! So I don't know what year I have lol!